Swathes of time go dark on us, but it's not as if we have a say which ones. The modern revamp of the slave narrative continues in fine form with THE CONFESSIONS OF FRANNIE LANGTON. A really brilliant historical fiction debut - beautifully written, compelling and fascinating.

'The Confessions of Frannie Langton' is an unusual book, some critics call it even a true gothic novel, and it is all due to the protagonist, Frannie, and the fate that led her to the gallows. Did she kill her boss? This is also a successful and suspenseful crime novel complete with a protagonist who has blocked out her most important memories and a murder trial at the famous Old Bailey. This was a lament from previous readers. It picked up the last 50 pages or so, but overall it was pretty slow. My account of myself. I’m guessing if one suggested that outright, one would be shouted down, and rightly so, so surely authors who’re desperately trying to make points, should think through the points they’re inadvertently making. Full access is for members only. Collins has gifted us with a powerful new heroine while shining a brilliant spotlight on a swathe of history that is too often relegated to footnotes. What if nobody believed you? George Benham, another scientist, proves to be just as hard and cruel as Langton while his wife, Marguerite, is much more than she seems…. The Confessions of Frannie Langton is a rich and detailed historical novel, that is written with great thought and understanding. • The Confessions of Frannie Langton is published by Viking (£12.99). These ebooks can only be redeemed by recipients in the US. She protests her innocence but gives us Confessions as her accounting. . The Confessions of Frannie Langton. Collins is my new favourite Author, she really has such an amazing ability to make her characters so powerful in lots of aspects, I really enjoyed all the choices she wrote within this beautiful book! As if there weren't only two candidates on that whole estate. Collins’ Confessions ring with such truth and humanity that I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see this on a college course’s required reading list in years to come. She’s a fully-realized woman with dreams and desires and flaws, who’s made terrible mistakes and desperate choices. I felt that the combined effect of the risk that she would be sep. It has taken me several days to process the impact this book had on me. I was a bit disappointed that it took 15% of the book to go to London, and it did take long to open up the plot, but I loved the ending. And I felt drawn to it again when it was recently listed for the Costa Book Awards, “A man writes to separate himself from the common history. Her influences - Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights - are never far from the surface as she focuses on Frannie, aka the Mulatta Murderess, who starts her life as a slave on a Jamaican plantation perversely called "Paradise" and ends up in the London home of the Benhams. Some will ask why I address this manuscript to you. Someone just told me they were disappointed. Crowds pack the courtroom, eagerly following every twist, while the newspapers print lurid theories about the killings and the mysterious woman being tried at the Old Bailey. A woman writes to try to join it.”, “She had the knowledge from her mother, old knowledge. Sara Collins is of Jamaican descent and grew up in Grand Cayman and studied law at the London School of Economics and worked as a lawyer for seventeen years before doing a Master of Studies in Creative Writing at Cambridge University, where she was the recipient of the 2015 Michael Holroyd Prize for Creative Writing.

To begin with, the debut novel from author Alice Henderson probably has the coolest title I’ve seen in a long time—A Solitude of Wolverines. She’s not here to just tell us about the horrors and suffering she endured—“I remember a thing Phibbah used to say: Only two types of white people in this world, chile, the ones doing shit to you and the ones wanting you to tell them ‘bout the shit them other ones did.”. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher. The simple answer is that it’s my life, and I want to assemble the pieces of it myself. Throughout my reading, I felt like Frannie was continuously on the outside of personal fulfillment and happiness, looking in. 1-3: Gripping crime mystery and suspense th... To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average.

Please try again. .

I felt that the combined effect of the risk that she would be sep…more I agreed that it was a good ending, although I too hoped she would get away with it. That's the way I unde. I mean, there’s a pride of…, It has been ten long years since Swedish novelist Kjell Eriksson wrote about police inspector Ann Lindell. Reviewed in the United States on June 3, 2019. Free UK p&p on all online orders over £15. I enjoyed that Collins created in Frannie a character that I felt I was supposed to side with and cheer on, but who at times was hard to fully get behind despite her abuses. Set in the early nineteenth century, culminating in 1826, this is another in a number of recent novels which take a look at the slave trade.

I got lost somewhere and didn't bother to go back. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Refresh and try again. It was so much more. The author kept alluding to things, I'm guessing to stir up the suspense, but it really just left me kind of confused. Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a88a1fba6ab7278968ceb457b4833c44" );document.getElementById("h41e0e1b0b").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Order now! Not like weapons, or food, or clothes.”, HWA Debut Crown Nominee for Longlist (2020). I am so tired of literary misandry, and of feminists who think misogyny is bad but misandry’s just fine. Error rating book.

I’m forced to trot to keep up with the turnkeys so I don’t tumble crown over ankle. Reader Reviews. There’s betrayal, depravity, pseudoscience, forbidden love, drug addiction, white supremacy, and, oh yes, a murder mystery with tightly wound knots to unravel. All of London is abuzz with the scandalous case of Frannie Langton, accused of the brutal double murder of her employers, renowned scientist George Benham and his eccentric French wife, Marguerite. This year is proving to be an amazing time to discover debut authors. Become a Member and discover books that entertain, engage & enlighten. Someone just told me they were disappointed. At the start of the book she is in prison in London accused of the murder of Mr and Mrs Benham where she worked as a maid. When Marguerite and her husband George are found. She is a seductress, a witch, a master manipulator, a whore. Welcome back. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Welcome back. Frances (Frannie) is a slave girl with a black mother and a white father on a plantation in Jamaica. Here's one of my favorites: "I think the point of reading is not to feel more of a part of the world, but less. She protests her innocence but gives us Confessions as her accounting. The end crept up to a tenseness I wasn't expecting and I was fraught with nerves, hoping, praying, the protagonist would make it through. [

The book was not what I expected.

In her own sharp mind and passionate heart, which may have legally belonged to a white man but could never be controlled by him. It was a bit of a slow start, but less than halfway through I couldn't put it down. Who is the "you" Frannie is addressing during the last chapters of the book? I’m guessing if one suggested that outright, one would be shouted down, and rightly so, so surely authors who’re desperately trying to make points, should. Because life boils down to nothing, in spite of all the fuss, yet novels make it possible to believe it is something, after all. Her defense attorney. Her life in London and the spirit of independence and even arrogance is portrayed brilliantly. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Men controlled women at that time.