Eventually, the two men got into a dispute, during which Lyons took Shelton's Stetson hat. [12], The song was first recorded by Waring's Pennsylvanians in 1923, and became a hit. Samuel L Jackson – Stack O Lee tab I really tried to tab this one good, I think I got it fairly well, I hope you all All the verses are palm muted, if you listen and play along to the song you'll get the fairly well, its not hard to get into it.. the last solo I didnt tab because I dont have slider so I couldn't really tab it, sorry..

I got two little babies, and a darlin' lovin' wife." Handy wrote that explanation in 1926, "Stack O' Lee" was already familiar in United States popular culture, with recordings of the song made by such pop singers of the day as Cliff Edwards. Modern Life Is War recorded a hardcore punk version for their 2007 album Midnight In America. 'till I come to this place they calls the Bucket of Blood D D7 It was Stagger Lee and Billy, G7 Two men who gambled late. [Verse 2] D D7 Stagger Lee, said Billy, G7 I can't let you go with that. [5] Subsequently, Shelton shot Lyons, recovered his hat, and left. "What I care about you little babies, your darlin' lovin' wife? Other recorded variants include "Stackerlee", "Stack O'Lee", "Stackolee", "Stackalee", "Stagerlee", and "Stagalee". Tommy Roe's 1971 version of the song went to number 25 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 17 on the Canadian Singles Chart.
Bob Dylan included a version of "Stack A Lee" on his 1993 album World Gone Wrong. One accurate version. You may only use …

[Verse 3] D D7 Stagger Lee went to the barroom, G7 And he stood across the barroom door. "Stagger Lee", also known as "Stagolee" and other variants, is a popular American folk song about the murder of Billy Lyons by "Stag" Lee Shelton, in St. Louis, Missouri, at Christmas, 1895. This here a song from back in the day Image uploaded!Thank you for uploading background image!Our moderators will review it and add to the page. Burnside and family: Boogie instrumental (1978), RL Burnside - Someday baby feat Lyrics Born, R.L. D Stagger lee threw a seven, A7 D Billy swore that he threw eight. Oops... Something gone wrong.Make sure that your image is .jpg, .png, .gif and is less than 30 MB.Best pictures will appear on our main page. In the 2007 film Black Snake Moan, Samuel L. Jackson's character sings a boastful version of the song from Stagger Lee's perspective, titled "Stackolee". Black Snake Moan: Music From the Motion Picture. We'll get snapshot of this page, ads identifiers and will analyze it. Hurt Mississippi John Chords & Tabs Version: 1 Type: Tab 0 ratings. The version by Pacific Gas & Electric, was included on the soundtrack for Quentin Tarantino's film Death Proof, the second portion of the 2007 double-feature Grindhouse.

That bad man, oh, cruel Stack O' Lee. List of number-one R&B singles of 1959 (U.S.), "Stacker Lee: A partial investigation into the historicity of a Negro murder ballad", "A Brief History of Stagger Lee and Billy Lyons", "Herb Wiedoeft's Cinderella Roof Orchestra", "Largehearted Boy: Book Notes - Derek McCulloch ("Stagger Lee")", "Billboard Hot 100 60th Anniversary Interactive Chart", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stagger_Lee&oldid=986520507, Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes songs, Pages using infobox song with unknown parameters, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 1 November 2020, at 11:06. His version was ranked number 456 on Rolling Stone ' s 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list, and also reached number 7 on the UK singles chart. I said, say mother fucker, do you know who I am? An extended version appears on Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes 1981 live album Reach Up And Touch The Sky. [9], A song called "Stack-a-Lee" was first mentioned in 1897, in the Kansas City Leavenworth Herald, as being performed by "Prof. Charlie Lee, the piano thumper". Just be on page with bad ads and submit it to us via form below. John Lee Hooker - Crawlin' King Snake (Live), Howlin' Wolf "Smokestack Lightning" Live 1964 (Reelin' In The Years Archives), Cedric Burnside- "Hard to Stay Cool" (OFFICIAL VIDEO), R.L. [16]; while The Youngbloods released a version of the song on their 1971 album, Good and Dusty. My woman put my black ass out in the cold
Burnside & Johnny Woods - Telephone Blues, R.L. Josh Ritter recorded a version of the tale titled "Folk Bloodbath" on the album So Runs the World Away. D D7 Stagger Lee… You done stole my Stetson hat, I'm bound to take you life." G Cause Billy DeLion threw lucky dice A Won Stagger Lee's Stetson hat. Also Stagger Lee still has problems in bars, and ends up shooting not only a bartender, but also another rival also called Billy. D A7 D He said, Nobody move, and he pulled his .44. Stack O Lee Guitar Tab by Samuel L Jackson learn how to play chords diagrams. [7], The crime quickly entered into American folklore and became the subject of song, as well as folktales and toasts. Another version was recorded later that year by Frank Westphal & His Regal Novelty Orchestra, and Herb Wiedoeft and his band recorded the song in 1924. It was recorded in 1977 but not published until 1981 in the album Something New Under the Son. Well I, waded through water, and I waded through mud

Not a cover version of the classic song, but instead an alternative and darker version of the tale itself, the references are evident: set in 1932, a still alive Stagger Lee now owns a Colt .45 (instead of the 'original' .44) and carries a deck of cards; he also still has his Stetson hat, which is now, of course, "old". Other notable pre-war versions were by Duke Ellington (1927), Cab Calloway (1931), and Woody Guthrie (1941). Ma Rainey recorded the song the following year, with Louis Armstrong on cornet, and a version was recorded by Frank Hutchison on January 28, 1927, in New York, and is included in Harry Smith's famous Anthology of American Folk Music (Song 19 of 84).[10]. In his version, Stagger Lee killed a man named Louis Collins, and 'Hangin' Billy Lyons was the judge who sentenced Stagger to hang.

Wait a second, we are searching and sorting best tabs for you. [E B A Am] Chords for Stack O Lee John Oates with capo transposer, play along with guitar, piano, ukulele & mandolin. Hi! Lloyd Price recorded the song as "Stagger Lee" in 1958, and it rose to the top of both the R&B and US pop charts in early 1959. [4], On Christmas night in 1895, Shelton and his acquaintance William "Billy" Lyons were drinking in the Bill Curtis Saloon.

G C G You arrest the girls for turning tricks C D C But you're scared of Stagger Lee. A version by Lloyd Price reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1959. The historical Stagger Lee was Lee Shelton, a black pimp living in St. Louis, Missouri in the late 19th century. The version by Mississippi John Hurt, recorded in 1928, is regarded as definitive. The song's title comes from Shelton's nickname—Stag Lee or Stack Lee.