This short story is designed to provoke questioning, predicting, and synthesizing information! Functional and Nonfiction Comprehension Worksheets Activities Thank you so much for your hard work and making them freely available. Point of View Irony Worksheets and Activities Making Predictions Graphic Organizers, What will Batty do Next? CCSS RL.3.3. How about a short story set in a futuristic dystopian society in the United States where everyone is equal? How about a short story that takes place during the Irish Civil War and features a pair of snipers? Teaching Theme Making predictions as we read is part and parcel of active reading. Semicolon Worksheets Students follow along with the story and are asked to stop and jot predictions at several points throughout it. Practice making inferences--drawing conclusions when given some, but not all, of the information, now in short story form! Story Structure Activities Worst Game Ever? Story Structure Your worksheets look helpful for some of my students with various language goals. Each passage ends abruptly and then students must predict what will occur next based on evidence from the text. Students must support their answers by referencing the text, which brings out those higher order, critical thinking skills. Poetic Devices Worksheets, Adverbs and Adjectives Worksheets and Activities Metal Detectors | Nonfiction Reading Test (Gr. This pack has it all! Black Friday | Nonfiction Reading Test (Gr. Language Loaded Stories I’ve also included a PowerPoint lesson on making predictions. NOTE: For simple, effective ways to use this resource in DISTANCE LEARNING, click here.The ability to closely read and analyze text is central to Common Core. I think the future will be very different. I have battled to find a set suitable for a High School student, rather than the ones I have in abundance for younger students, so these are great! Inferences Worksheets and Activities How about a short story set in a futuristic dystopian society where technology can replace even the most basic of human activities and has one of the most jaw-dropping endings in literature? The unit could be great for Halloween, but you could teach it any time of the year. Point of View Practice 2 | With Long Responses C, As a teacher, you know how important it is for kids to make predictions while reading. This is a half-sheet making predictions page that has two copies on one page. WHA, SHORT STORY UNIT: SAVE ALMOST 50% WITH 7 PRODUCTS IN 1! The product includes a conversation guide, conversation roles, and guiding questions to help students generate authentic discussion. About This Site Examples of Simile I really appreciate it and I will definitely use it to teach my students. Look no further than “Harrison Bergeron” by Kurt Vonnegut. I’m a speech and language pathologist at the high school level. View More Genre and Subgenre Practice Tests Figurative Language Poems With Questions These exercises give students practice in guessing "What will happen next?". Practice making inferences--drawing conclusions when given some, but not all, of the information, now in short story form! However, one thing I’ve noticed as I’ve looked them over is that there are a number of spelling and grammar-type errors. Yes, it’s true! This is the perfect unit to use around Halloween, but it can be used at any point in the year! It would be nice to find simple text activities that are appropriate for that group of students. Short Story Bundle!!!! Story Structure Practice 1, Examples of Alliteration Thanks so much for your help! Also included in: Short Story Unit: Student Workbooks.