Months later, I got accepted to USC and decided to attend that school instead. Just because a teacher gives you a good grade doesn't mean he or she is capable of writing a good recommendation. If you do have interests and hobbies that are unusual, are they sufficiently highlighted in your applications? I am so angry right now. Had you focused your list more on your matches, you might have come up with some more accepts. But the odds are good that the answer is, "Nowhere." I think it boils down to unrealistic expectations. Still waiting on 2 schools but not hopeful. In such school, usually one, maybe two kids get accepted at the the most selective schools, so you pretty much have to be one of the top one or two students, not percent but actual body count. The most sought-after schools like Stanford turn down far more qualified applicants than they have room to take. This doesn't necessarily mean you'll get accepted. Thank you for that inspirational encouragement and the schools I got accepted into are Temple and Spelman but that is literally what everybody says about college rejections. It's impossible for "The Dean" to say where you went wrong without seeing your entire application. For me, this was a critical point I didn't get at all in high school. So, with little time remaining before deadlines, you would be wise to add a couple more realistic and safe options to the roster. The 5 Strategies You Must Be Using to Improve 160+ SAT Points, How to Get a Perfect 1600, by a Perfect Scorer, Free Complete Official SAT Practice Tests. Make your gap year an adventure: work a new job, travel abroad, intern at a company, join a community club, learn a foreign language. However, you'll be a much more competitive applicant if you have, say, a slightly lower 3.8 GPA and have also taken loads of challenging AP/honors courses. But every time that notification comes, a rush of dopamine shoots through your nerves: someone has finally “chanced you” — for a 29.8% chance at UC Berkeley. While these threads may serve as an escape valve for much of the anxiety and nervousness surrounding the college admissions process, they almost always end up making the journey a whole lot more frustrating. What ACT target score should you be aiming for? Below are the acceptance rates for the top 25 universities, as determined by the most recent US News rankings for 2021. Instead, I stuck mostly to classes I knew I'd get As in and refrained from truly challenging myself by taking harder ones. First off, I can relate to this. So how does applying early action/early decision affect your admission chances? (I am not kidding and I have all the rejections to prove it) All of which I was qualified for, but just not good enough. This means that you could get mostly As and a couple of Bs in challenging AP courses and still have a higher chance of getting accepted over someone who got all As but took only easy classes. They had great SATs and GPAs - better than mine! Struggling with the application process? It sounds like you needed to put more matches in your list, not just reaches and safeties. However it doesn't meet need - and they're been wonky about their FA awards, you need to call and email and make sure they're on track with that info. Instead, I should have spent more time developing the hobbies I enjoyed most and participating in activities more strongly tied to my most passionate interests. Good luck even getting an interview. Or did your transcript get messed up and show you got Ds when you actually got As? Applying early raises your chance of admission just slightly, as it highlights your commitment to the school. We're here to help! Feel free to share in the comments. Check out our top-rated graduate blogs here: © PrepScholar 2013-2018. You are not going to have someone like a coach, music director saying we need some more kids with this, please keep an eye out. That's right: extremely low acceptance rates. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Have any questions about this article or other topics? I tried hard in HS pretty much for both reasons. Eventually, I moved on and started to get excited about my other options. Simply put, don't write your personal statement the day before the deadline, and don't ask for letters of recommendation from teachers at the last minute. Some CC regulars absolutely implore that one must retake a 2390/2400 for the SATs as top colleges demand perfection. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Boston University? Most students probably know this, but you'll need a pretty high GPA to keep from getting rejected. Though the rejection letter hurt, on the plus side, it taught me a lot about what I did wrong, both in my application and my overall high school career. Our expert guides teach you how to build a versatile college application and go over the application timeline to help you pace yourself. That's what I did wrong. The word on the street goes that these keyboard warriors will claw their way to regaining fractions of a percentage benefit of eventual acceptance to their dream school. In some cases, colleges will not allow you to appeal your rejection at all (even if you won the Nobel Peace Prize). When you get rejected, you have the option to tell the college you think they're wrong and ask them to reconsider your application. While Chance Me threads have traditionally been useful for students to benchmark themselves against their competition, it has developed over the years to be a dumping ground for cynical and often contemptuous students. What do I do now? Here are the five steps you should be taking right now if you were waitlisted or rejected by every school you applied to. Then appeal the rejection; most likely the college will allow it in this case since the problem is not actually your fault. Many schools, particularly the Ivies, accept very few transfers each year. SOme great schools here to which you students have gained acceptance. Well, let me start with some facts. Even if a school did agree to reevaluate your application, it's unlikely a second look-through would change their minds (particularly if your main complaint is that they failed to recognize how absolutely incredible you are). I was rejected by 28 schools last year. If you're struggling to prepare an effective application for an early action plan, consider applying regular decision instead to give yourself more time. What did I do wrong? of course this was after Christmas break. For example, did you win a big award or somehow dramatically improve your GPA? This is why it's important to spend a lot of time crafting an impactful personal statement for your application. Yep. Seriously, first a Disney major and now a successful appeal? At Stanford and the Ivies, typical high school achievements (student government or class offices, club presidencies, etc.) I'm glad that you added safeties to your list. I was wondering if I could get into any colleges with these terrible credentials. For instance, perhaps you're a lover of writing who's published his own self-help ebook and tutors elementary school students in creative writing on weekends. College Confidential does indeed bring out the best of internet trolls. ‘Happy Together’ — The Aesthetics of Exile, Loneliness, and Suffocation. Once you've given yourself ample time to cope, get off the ground and focus on the other options you've got in your life. Note: For students applying for fall 2021 admission, many top schools have gone temporarily test-optional. You may want to focus on places that aren't too far from home (Northeastern University? Community service, artistic pursuits, athletic success, and even entrepreneurial ventures play an important part in selecting classes for these institutions. Potential posters lurk in the shadows of the Ivy League thread and post demeaning comments that discourage other applicants. Finally, I didn't take advantage of the AP/honors classes available at my high schools (I moved and attended two schools). Likewise, acceptance rates at Georgia Tech, Chapel Hill and Michigan are barely above 20 percent, and these public institutions must give priority to in-state residents. won't move the needle. That is, you can hope to come out a winner but you'd better be making other plans as you do. 28 comments. That is a pretty lopsided college list. Well…. This is typically an ongoing passion for and commitment to some kind of academic or personal interest. The recommendation is the most overlooked weapon in the arsenals of most college applicants. In addition, the personal statement lets you explain the context of your academic situation. Download it for free now: hbspt.cta._relativeUrls=true;hbspt.cta.load(360031, '688715d6-bf92-47d7-8526-4c53d1f5fe7d', {}); hbspt.cta._relativeUrls=true;hbspt.cta.load(360031, '03a85984-6dfd-4a19-93c8-5f46091f5e2b', {}); Hannah received her MA in Japanese Studies from the University of Michigan and holds a bachelor's degree from the University of Southern California. Unfortunately, it can be a likely consequence if you're applying to highly selective universities and don't have the grades or test scores your school expects. Still, the point is clear: most applicants to highly selective schools get rejected.