Well, it has not been easy. I then returned to my father in Warsaw, hoping to teach in the free schools. When she finally did become a chemist, she and her husband Pierre Curie discovered Radium and Polonium. Born in Poland, Marie Sklodovska was not only young and charming, but also Pierre’s intellectual equal. In 1906, just as we were definitely giving up the old shed laboratory where we had been so happy, there came the dreadful catastrophe which took my husband away from me and left me alone to bring up our children and, at the same time, to continue our work of research. The greatest scientific deed of her life—proving the existence of radioactive elements and isolating them—owes its accomplishment not merely to bold intuition but to a devotion and tenacity in execution under the most extreme hardships imaginable, such as the history of experimental science has not often witnessed. Physicists should always publish their researches completely. Quoted in A. S. Eve. In 1891, at the age of 24, Curie followed her older sister Bronislawa to study in Paris, where she earned her higher degrees and conducted her subsequent scientific work.

When one studies strongly radioactive substances special precautions must be taken if one wishes to be able to take delicate measurements. Soon he caught the habit of speaking to me of his dream of an existence consecrated entirely to scientific research, and he asked me to share that life. All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child. Letter to her sister Bronya, September 1927. I am one of those who think like Nobel, that humanity will draw more good than evil from new discoveries. As for me, I think I shall not go anywhere; I shall stay in the country, where I spend the whole day in front of my open window or in the garden. A scientist in his laboratory is not a mere technician: he is also a child confronting natural phenomena that impress him as though they were fairy tales.

I have no dress except the one I wear every day.
If you are going to be kind enough to give me one, please let it be practical and dark so that I can put it on afterwards to go to the laboratory. In Eve Curie Labouisse, Eve Curie and Vincent Sheean. Pierre Curie came to see me and showed a simple and sincere sympathy with my student life. 7. I am one of those who think, like Nobel, that humanity will draw more good than evil from new discoveries. From the scientific point of view, on the contrary, we may hope to do something; the ground is solider here, and any discovery that we may make, however small, will remain acquired knowledge. From 'The Anagram Hall of Fame' on the wordsmith.org website. We must believe that we are gifted in something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained. Sometimes my courage fails me and I think I ought to stop working, live in the country and devote myself to gardening. ... but has seen it mentioned without citation in many books as far back as 1952. Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. She was then sole winner of a second Nobel Prize in 1911, this time in Chemistry. — to be at least great friends. The death of my husband, coming immediately after the general knowledge of the discoveries with which his name is associated, was felt by the public, and especially by the scientific circles, to be a national misfortune. My experiments proved that the radiation of uranium compounds ... is an atomic property of the element of uranium. The following letter contains one of his many marriage proposals, which she initially refused. No one of them was very long, for he had the habit of concise expression, but all were written in a spirit of sincerity and with an evident anxiety to make the one he desired as a companion know him as he was. It was like a new world opened to me, the world of science, which I was at last permitted to know in all liberty. After all, science is essentially international, and it is only through lack of the historical sense that national qualities have been attributed to it. Curie through twenty years of sublime and unclouded friendship. The best sprinters in this road of investigation are Becquerel and the Curies... Letter to his mother (5 Jan1902). I mean by that that we are powerless to change the social order and, even if we were not, we should not know what to do; in taking action, no matter in what direction, we should never be sure of not doing more harm than good, by retarding some inevitable evolution. Marie Curie, Pierre Curie and Gustave Bémont, '. If we had half of the burnt one million books now, we could travel between different galaxies now”. [~~Anecdote~~] Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas.

In science, we must be interested in things, not in persons. The Curies themselves were away travelling. Over 100,000,000 copies in circulation already, download your free copy now. The work was one of pure science.

I would be broken with fatigue at the day's end.

At the end of the same year, the Nobel prize was awarded jointly to Becquerel, my husband and me for the discovery of radioactivity and new radioactive elements. We believe the substance we have extracted from pitch-blende contains a metal not yet observed, related to bismuth by its analytical properties. Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.

Unknown in Paris, I was lost in the great city, but the feeling of living there alone, taking care of myself without any aid, did not at all depress me. We should not allow it to be believed that all scientific progress can be reduced to mechanisms, machines, gearings, even though such machinery also has its beauty. Other days, on the contrary, the work would be a most minute and delicate fractional crystallization, in the effort to concentrate the radium. Toward this end, each of us must work for his own highest development, accepting at the same time his share of responsibility in the general life of humanity—our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. In chemical terms, radium differs little from barium; the salts of these two elements are isomorphic, while those of radium are usually less soluble than the barium salts. Those books came in handy after all. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale. I am among those who think that science has great beauty. Renowned physicist Pierre Curie (1859 – 1906) shared more than a house and bed with his wife Marie: in 1903 they shared the Nobel Prize. If radium is to be used in the treatment of disease, it is impossible for us to take advantage of that. At my urgent request the Curie laboratory, in which radium was discovered a short time ago, was shown to me.

Neither do I believe that the spirit of adventure runs any risk of disappearing in our world. Quoted in Eve Curie Labouisse and Eve Curie, trans. ... Science quotes on: | Arrange (30… Of course life isn’t easy. In Cambridge Editorial Partnership.

The various objects used in a chemical laboratory and those used in a chemical laboratory, and those which serve for experiments in physics, become radioactive in a short time and act upon photographic plates through black paper.
I have no dress except the one I wear every day. We cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individual. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. Life is not easy for any of us, but what of that? During the year 1894, Pierre Curie wrote me letters that seem to me admirable in their form. I came to admire her human grandeur to an ever growing degree. If sometimes I felt lonesome, my usual state of mind was one of calm and great moral satisfaction. When radium was discovered, no one knew that it would prove useful in hospitals. I have frequently been questioned, especially by women, of how I could reconcile family life with a scientific career. Believe me your very devoted

There are sadistic scientists who hurry to hunt down errors instead of establishing the truth. Primary source uncertain. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained. And this is a proof that scientific work must not be considered from the point of view of the direct usefulness of it.

I have to keep going, as there are always people on my track. Polish-French chemist and physicist whose celebrated experiments (1898) on uranium minerals led to discovery of two new elements: polonium and radium. If our discovery has a commercial future that is a circumstance from which we should not profit. During the year 1894, Pierre Curie wrote me letters that seem to me admirable in their form. I met Pierre Curie for the first time in the spring of the year 1894... A Polish physicist whom I knew, and who was a great admirer of Pierre Curie, one day invited us together to spend the evening with himself and his wife. I am among those who think that science has great beauty. There are sadistic scientists who hurry to hunt down errors instead of establishing the truth. I know that this question angers you, and that you don’t want to speak of it again — and then, too, I feel so thoroughly unworthy of you from every point of view. She shared the 1903 Nobel Prize in Physics with her husband Pierre Curie and with physicist Henri Bacquerel. If the existence of this new metal is confirmed we propose to call it. Nothing could have given me greater pleasure that to get news of you. She won the 1911 Nobel Prize in Chemistry. We must not forget that when radium was discovered no one knew that it would prove useful in hospitals. - Pierre Curie. One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done. In science we must be interested in things, not in persons. All my mind was centered on my studies, which, especially at the beginning, were difficult. With Henri Becquerel and her husband, Pierre Curie, she was awarded the 1903 Nobel Prize for Physics.