JASON VANCE: The librarians would go through these ragged magazines and dilapidated books, and they would cannibalize them, deconstruct them, remix them and create these new scrapbooks. Lisa. You can hear more from "The Keepers" series on their podcast, "The Kitchen Sisters Present.". The project, as implemented by … But the BuzzFeed piece makes it sounds like the similarities go beyond general subject matter. I haven’t heard of either of these but The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek sounds so good! ( Log Out /  Reach millions of readers across the Commonwealth by sharing your business or product with people who care about the same things you do. This is part of their new series, "The Keepers.". Made a dollar a day. 5 Stars: Loved it. Pingback: My write-in nominations for the 2019 #GoodreadsChoice Awards! I may read it later. I do hope Richardson hasn’t done something similar to what Tomi Adeyemi did last year when she accused Nora Roberts of plagiarism. HEATHER HENSON: Eleanor Roosevelt decided to help create projects that would specifically benefit women and children. The Kitchen Sisters, Davia Nelson and Nikki Silva, take us there. The pack horse librarians were creating these cultural artifacts, snapshots of life in Eastern Kentucky during the Great Depression. VANCE: In 1940, there were 2,582 of these scrapbooks. HENSON: Going into the Appalachian Mountains of Kentucky was going back in time. What do you think? JEANNE SCHMITZER: One county would start a pack horse library. https://wednesdayswomen.com/good-reads-in-wild-places-the-wpas-pack-horse-librarians/, Book Review: Twice in a Blue Moon by Christina Lauren, My write-in nominations for the 2019 #GoodreadsChoice Awards! Audiobook Review: Of Noble Family by Mary Robinette Kowal — and so we reach the end of the amazing Glamourist Histories series! – Jessticulates, NPR’s Morning Edition had an interesting piece about the “Pack Horse Librarians of Eastern Kentucky” around a year before either of these books came out, and I think that broadcast was based on some prior article or documentary on the topic. It was produced by the Kitchen Sisters and mixed by Jim McKee. She bought groceries and things that we'd never had before. They didn't know how to read so I read it and read it again so they could understand it. A weekly feature, every Wednesday at Bookshelf Fantasies. It makes me sad to feel like it won’t get the attention it deserves. The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek is a powerful message about how the written word affects people–a story of hope and heartbreak, raw courage and strength splintered with poverty and oppression, and one woman’s chances beyond the darkly hollows. It’s probably just coincidence. Really good points! Send us your best photos for a chance to be featured. My name is Jean Schmitzer, co-author of "Down Cut Shin Creek." (Reading) The following scrapbooks have been found useful - recipes, mountain ballads, Kentucky history, odd names, articles on a particular subject, dogs, Spain, Nazis, model airplanes. I finished it, but didn’t really like it. According to Goodreads, The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek came out May 7, 2019, while The Giver of Stars came October 8, 2019. Book Woman was so beautiful! KATHI APPELT: In the Depression, those horrible years after 1929, the Appalachians were hit so hard. I don’t believe that either of these books were plagiarized. A friend just sent me this link from Buzzfeed about the “alarming similarities” between the two books. No running water, no electricity, very few schools. Librarians are a determined bunch. They're far more subversive than that. Writers write about the same subjects all the time, and there would have to be very specific similarities for someone to make an accusation. At times funny, at others heartbreaking, this is a richly rewarding novel of women’s friendship, of true love, and of what happens when we reach beyond our grasp for the great beyond. I was all queued up to read the new Jojo Moyes book, because hey, I read ALL her new books. Note: The photo above, as well as lots of terrific information on the Pack Horse Librarian project, can be found on the Wednesday’s Women website at https://wednesdayswomen.com/good-reads-in-wild-places-the-wpas-pack-horse-librarians/.