Or I’ve been told to connect the green screw to the incoming cold water pipe. ya I don't charge my family money either ha ha. >>. In newer installations where there is a 2-wire with ground cable for a 240 volt water heater the white wire is colored with red electrical tape which clearly designates it’s part of the 240 volt circuit. Dave, Electrical Questions and Electrical Answers, Electrical Wiring for a Garage and Recreation Room. No need to worry about electrical codes. This is standard for new home construction. 220 Volt Wiring Diagram, This link is helpful as a Handyman • Can the temperature and pressure relief (TPR) valve discharge pipe for a mobile/manufactured home water heater terminate under the home? This is standard for new home construction. Caution: To prevent severe shock or electrocution always turn the power OFF at the service panel before working with wiring. What is the difference between a regular water heater and a direct vent water heater? Also see our blog posts What is required clearance for access and working space in front of an electric water heater? I found this box connected between the 240v line from the fusebox and the water heater and I'd like to know what it's for. • Does a tankless water heater require a pressure relief valve? The upper thermostat is faulty, but I can find a replacement that is exactly the same. • Why is my water heater making strange (rumbling, gurgling, knocking or banging) noises? Water Heater Wiring This electrical wiring question came from: Cheri, a Homeowner from Wichita, Kansas. Visit our ELECTRICAL and WATER HEATERS pages for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles. Why is an older water heater an insurance problem? 2 are labled "line" and 2 are labled "load." The side of the meter that receives incoming power from the utility service lines is called the "line" side. Identify the circuit for the hot water heater and make sure it is turned off. Hi Tom, What does it mean when a gas appliance (water heater, furnace, or range) has been "red tagged"? The wires that connect here feed the electric service panel in your home. I hope this helps you, Water Heater Circuit • How do I determine if a water heater is gas or electric? These wires connect to the disconnect breaker installed within the disconnect box. Each of these configurations involves specific wiring techniques and requirements that are not interchangeable. Can you use a light switch for a water heater disconnect? What is the difference between a single element and dual element electric water heater? 1" gas line, with a drip. •  Why do water heaters have a sacrificial anode? At the point of connection, there is typically a knock-out opening where a flex conduit with the circuit wiring may be attached directly to the water heater. What is backdrafting at a gas water heater? A typical water heater requires a 30amp 240volt dedicated circuit which includes a ground wire. If you are still unsure of how to properly wire the circuit you are working on, you will need to contact Where do I find the water heater in a mobile home? This is for new construction. The information provided is general installation advice. Never Assume the power is off! I hope this helps, Older homes may have 150-amp, 100-amp or lower service capacity. We make no claims about the completeness or the accuracy of the information as it may apply to an infinite amount of field conditions. Unlike a new electric dryer for example, which has a 120 volt control timer, an electric water heater does not yet have 120 volt controls. Electrical disconnects are switches that isolate all wiring in a home or other building from the source of power, typically the utility power service. Do we just wire to the switch, and then the heater comes with wire to the other side of the switch? Thanks for the help! The disconnect switch does not shut off the power in the feeders lines or at the switch connections. This wire is marked with white phasing tape to signify that it is the neutral wire. If you do choose this option, the switch be 30-amp rated (not a regular light switch). • What is the difference between a single element and dual element electric water heater? What is the difference between a regular water heater and a power vent water heater? I have been seeing that the water heaters are super important. The total voltage, when measured between them, is around 240 volts. It is important to note that electrical codes change, and that in some areas local electrical codes are not the same as the National Electrical code. Verify the Water Heater Electric Circuit Does a tankless gas water heater still work with no electricity during a power outage? Why is the water heater older than the house? • When is a water heater drain pan required? • How does a hydronic heating system work? I guess I will go ahead and use the pull switch I bought at HD, sounds like it is all I need. Identify the circuit for the hot water heater and make sure it is turned off. The local authority having jurisdiction in your area may have different codes than the national code. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device. Can a Temperature and Pressure Relief (TPR or T&P) valve be mounted to discharge horizontally? It is also important how they are installed. Why is there water in my water heater drain pan? The water heater only requires 2 hot 120 volt wires to heat water and function. Can I leave a gas water heater in place when remodeling a garage into a family room or bedroom? • Why is an older water heater an insurance problem? The Line side is the cable supplying voltage from your electrical panel. 2)   A Thermostat with a clearly marked off position that directly opens all ungrounded conductors and cannot turn on when in the off position can be used as a means of disconnect for electric baseboard heating. Disclaimer: You understand that you are personally responsible for your own wiring, Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, auger bits and extension cord as needed depending on the scope of the project. Is it alright to have a shut-off valve on both the hot and cold water pipes at a water heater? • What are the most common installation mistakes with water heater replacement? Identifying the circuit wiring with red electrical tape is important and should be applied to existing circuit wiring as needed. How to Wire an Electric Water Heater Circuit: We are installing the wiring for an electric water heater circuit and we need to make sure we are using the right wire size. 5) Lockout device at panel  - This is a metal gizmo that attaches permanently around the circuit breaker for the water heater in the electric panel, and is used when the panel is not within sight of the water heater. Wiring a Water Heater Electric Water Heater Thanks for your electrical wiring question Perry. I was only getting 50 volts for a 240v unit. We will probably have a plumber install the heater (because they are heavy! Where are gas water heaters not allowed to be installed? It is the responsibility of the person or persons using this information to check with all concerned parties, owners and local authorities, etc. • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •. What can I do to make my water heater last longer? Background: Perry, a Handyman from El Mirage, Arizona. Does an electric water heater require a disconnect? Why do water heaters have a sacrificial anode? When someone is repairing an electric water heater, they need to be assured that the electricity stays off while they are handling wiring and connections that could shock or kill if the circuit were to suddenly become “live.” So the building code addresses this safety issue by providing several choices of solutions that make the means of disconnecting the circuit either within sight or under the exclusive control of the person working on the water heater. We are in Florida and provide plenty of information about hurricanes and sinkholes, for example, but nothing on basements and ice dams. I don't charge my family for work they need to have done. Most full size residential Water Heaters are hard wired, however, Smaller Waters that only require a 120volt circuit may come with a cord which is commonly used to plug into a 120volt receptacle outlet. There are four wires that run into the control section of the water heater from the junction box on the heater. • When was a gas water heater first required to be elevated 18 inches above a garage floor? It's also possible for a home to have a service disconnect on the outside of the home, while the main service panel—with its own main breaker—is inside the home. JavaScript is disabled. The Spruce uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Does a tankless water heater in an attic require a drain pan? • Is a catch pan and drain piping required for a replacement water heater? The 2017 edition, however, added “where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance” to the citation to clarify the intent.