Since some people seem to think that my name should determine my faith, does this also apply to my mother, who shares her name with the Greek goddess Cynthia, aka Artemis? TTS XV = Proklos' Commentary on the Timæus of Plato, Vol. edited 4 years ago. Press (Princeton, NJ USA). No matter the time that has passed and the innumerable changes and differences since antiquity, Greek culture even when it wasn’t even called Greek (it was called Roman for a large period of time if anyone’s wondering, even in the geographical vicinity of Greece), still remained a continuous and evolving culture. Her. Similarly, some other terms are capitalized to express veneration; examples would be Aithír (Ether or Aether; Gr. It was a hand gesture still in use, albeit a little old-fashioned these days, that each one of us has seen his grandparents perform a million times. I can’t say that Modern Greek is essential but it does have its uses. Mind you, this was the basic idea that gave birth to the political system of royalty. There is another entry for Eleleus which refers the reader back to Ælæléfs, so the reader can find the word with either spelling. The ancient Greeks for the most part were very open to anyone who wanted to worship the Theoi. But how could you know ? See OH. In front of these symbols is the seven-stringed kithára (cithara, κιθάρα), the lyre of Apóllohn (Apollo, Ἀπόλλων). A. T. Murray, Revised by William F. Wyatt, 1925. For a good period of time in antiquity you could find temples honoring the Gods in every corner of the Mediterranean, even outside the limits of the Roman Empire. The first of these values is eusebeia, which is piety or humility. Author has 7.4K answers and 605.6K answer views. Some useful website/groups might be Hellenion, The Neokoroi, or Kyklos Apollon. I'm also quite new, but I'll try my best to answer your questions. Atheists: Why do you DISMISS all evidence of God? It is used to apply to a wide range of polytheistic spiritual paths that honor the pantheon of the ancient Greeks. You might not think that these things matter and they obviously don’t if a random Greek is an Orthodox Christian who does not care about the Gods but they have great value for the faithful. Thomas Taylor Series VIII. There is also another issue here. Hellenic polytheism isn’t a racial religion and it does not belong to a specific nation, country, nationality, race or language. Worship: Devotional worship is the epicenter of Hellenic religion; we adore the Gods, praise them, shower them with adulation, and sacrifice to Them. While not strictly necessary, it would be a monumental lie if I said that at least some knowledge of the ancient terminology won’t be of tremendous help and chances are that you’ll eventually pick up on them after bumping into the same words a hundred times on various texts. Further, it may appear in some instances that the views presented are not objective. I’m happy that someone has the perseverance and patience to learn even a little of my language, which I consider very hard. It’s not just the experience of the Greek outdoors that is intricately linked with all our myths and religion, it’s also the experience of the particular Mediterranean climate in our geography. It wouldn't be weird at all. The primary source in the Glossary for the definition of Greek words is the Greek-English Lexicon by H.G. While most of these answers referred to specific questions, they should be studied and taken very seriously as they are direct quotes from the Gods. These narratives are known as mythology , the traditional stories of the Gods and Heroes. For Latin words we are using A Latin Dictionary by Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short, 1879; 1955 Clarendon Press edition, also an immense volume with numerous citations, commonly viewed as authoritative. ( Log Out /  If you are referring to people that are not part of an Abrahamic faith, then Hellenismos would be Pagan. Don’t bash people over the head with it, don’t hide it when ask, and remember that the opinions of the people around you does not affect the basic existance of the Theoi. It’s not just the question of what sort of pronunciation is correct and there are certainly problems in that field that most people do not want to admit but also, there is the very simple and obvious problem that Greek contains phonemes not found in some other languages which you have to learn how to pronounce as a child to properly be able to use them. Bloody hell no and never let anyone tell you otherwise. LD = A Latin Dictionary founded on Andrews' Edition of Freund's Latin Dictionary by Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short, 1879; we are using the 1955 Oxford/Clarendon Press edition (Oxford, England). Laughably, they tried to link with them a certain northern people that would become even more obsessed with inventing a glorious past in the 20th century. Hermes) have revealed themselves to me through synchronicity experiences. TTS IX through XIII = The Works of Plato in Five Volumes; trans. DPII = Plato; translated by Benjamin Jowett, 1892, Vol. So no, my ancestors sounded nothing like haughty Classics professors from the UK, that’s certain. For a good period of time in antiquity you could find temples honoring the Gods in every corner of the Mediterranean, even outside the limits of the Roman Empire. However, I’ll freely and openly admit that Ancient Greek is a pretty hard language to master, even for modern Greeks who still use the majority of the words and use a very similar grammatical structure. While I read some books by Timothy Alexander, I wouldn't recommend them due to their lack of compliance with actual history (primarily the idea that Greek religion was monolithic) and the conservative Catholic undertones of his writing. I'm also ex-Asatru! 2 of the 1937 Random House (New York, USA) edition of The Dialogues of Plato. © 2010 by HellenicGods.org. You can then come out, and get whipped and flayed in a market square until you expire. © Ask Drum Tom 2016. Brill DAG = The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek by Franco Montanari, under the auspices of the Center for Hellenic Studies, Harvard Univ., 2015 edition, Brill (Leiden/Boston). Don’t simply take them at face value even though even the face value has valuable meaning. A. T. Murray, Revised by William F. Wyatt, 1924. Tauris edition (London England and New York USA). While some Hellenic Polytheists worship their ancestors, it isn't nearly as important as in Asatru. Then, yeah, the Gods probably don't. I can’t say that with any certainty either but if they did sound like anyone, it’s far more likely that they sounded like Modern Greeks. It has been an ongoing process to understand the Greek pronunciation of words and it takes an enormous amount of time to update the site with the transliteration we have developed. Some groups claim that their practice is not a revival at all, but the original tradition of the ancients passed down from one generation to the next. Bucktown, Maryland to Philadelphia? Did they sound like me? Unique attention is given to the various Thæí (Theoi or Gods; Gr. All these things are never reasons to exclude anyone or make anyone feel like less of a believer simply because he didn’t happen to be born here. Again, if you want to speak like a Greek of the 8th c. BCE, when language was still in flux and society hadn’t yet stabilised to what we can easily recognise as Ancient Greek today, then by all means, devote the time necessary to learn that pronunciation. (London, England). It would not be weird, at all. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Διονυσιακά) trans. The ancients used myth, poetry and tales to communicate their deeper truths and even in that statement, there is something to be learned. Even when quoting text, the Glossary will usually capitalize these words, despite the fact that they may not appear so in the original document; this for the obvious reason of piety and as an expression of our sincerity regarding the validity of our tradition. Not really. OP = The Orphic Poems by M. L. West, 1983. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. You will find some terms in the glossary that are not found elsewhere and you will discover that the slant is more devotional, this in contrast to the strictly scholarly tone of some other encyclopedias. A foreigner will have just as much difficulty pronouncing Χι as any person not from Scotland trying to properly pronounce the ch in the world loch, and I’m using this specific example because the ch in loch is a good approximation to the sound of the Greek Χι.