Examples of this Idiom in Movies & TV Shows: Operation: Rabbit (1952). Fire can be used to fight forest fires, albeit with a certain amount of risk. Check Out. “Fight Fire with Fire” is the first track on Metallica’s 1984 album Ride the Lightning. To attempt to harm or gain power over an adversary by blows or with weapons. There may be more than one meaning of Fight Fire With Fire, so check it out all meanings of Fight Fire With Fire one by one. “Fight fire with fire.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fight%20fire%20with%20fire. I had some Havanas with me, and so I lighted What is the definition of "fight fire with fire"? Tagged: No tags, suggest one. Sometimes, no matter how civil you are to another editor, he or she will regard you as an attacker. Learn more. The earliest usage of 'fight fire with fire' that I've found in print is in the US author Henry Tappan's 1852 reminiscence A Step from the New World to the Old, and Back Again: Smoking 1. What does FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE mean? and haystacks the sooner. the prairies fight fire with fire, so I fought We will examine the definition of the term fight fire with fire, where it came from and some examples of its use in sentences. Fight Fire With Fire Meaning Fight Fire With Fire is an idiom. So as Christians, we fight fire with fire. Fight fire with fire definition is - to fight against an opponent by using the same methods or weapons that the opponent uses. If someone is shooting at you, you shoot back. In the song, Fight Fire With Fire means fighting nuclear warfare with nuclear warfare, hence "Nuclear warfare shall lay us to rest." Delivered to your inbox! For example. Fight Fire With Fire is the opening track on Metallica's second studio album, Ride the Lightning, written by James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, and Cliff Burton. That isn't the derivation in fact. This might be assumed to derive from the faulty 'flash in the pan' tendency of early flintlock weapons. The method has continued to be used however and foresters now routinely create roads or unplanted areas to act as fire-breaks in woodland that is at risk of fire. The meaning of "fight fire with fire" is: use the same methods as your enemy Fight fire with fire means to argue or fight with an opponent using his tactics or ground rules, combat an evil or negative circumstance by reacting in kind. 'Nip it in the butt' or 'Nip it in the bud'. Basically, it means to get back at someone for what they did to you. fight fire with fire meaning. Synonyms, Antonyms, Derived Terms, Anagrams and senses of fight fire with fire. NEW SONG: Rod Wave - POP SMOKE - "MOOD SWINGS" ft. Lil Tjay - LYRICS; The only way they can deal with crime is to fight fire with fire. Fight-fire-with-fire definitions (idiomatic) To respond to an attack with a similar or identical counter-attack (i.e. Antonyms for fighting fire with fire. To fight fire with fire definition: If you fight fire with fire , you deal with people attacking or threatening you by using... | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples He's making a quiz, and checking it twice... Test your knowledge of the words of the year. In a nutshell, this song is about the Cold War, and M.A.D. fight fire with fire (English)Verb fight fire with fire (idiomatic) To respond to an attack with a similar or identical counter-attack (i.e. In other words, if someone is talking shit about you, you talk shit back, or do something worse, such as beating their ass. To meet aggression with aggression. Chances are your experiences with the phrase "fight fire with fire" have more to do with the opening track on Metallica's 1984 album "Ride the Lightning" than they do with actual flames.Or when your closest friend hears about your nasty breakup and says, "Girl, you better fight fire with fire," this usually isn't encouragement to purchase a flamethrower. 1 About 2 Live 3 Trivia 4 Lyrics 5 References The song is about the end of the world being caused by heavy use of nuclear warfare (hence the line, "nuclear warfare shall lay us to rest"). But they are saying that we should use the same passion and rage that the first fire has. 'Backfire' wasn't used in that negative sense until the early 20th century and derives from the popping explosions that used to be commonly heard from the exhausts of motor vehicles, not from guns, which weren't said to backfire until WWI, or from forest 'back-fires' which ran out of control. Or say, if someone shoots up your house, you shoot up theirs, or do something worse, maybe like blowing it up. Or in this case, we guess that would be your opponent. : Finally I decided to fight fire with fire And hulkitized myself. 1. Do unto others As they've done to you But what the hell is This world coming to Blow the universe Into nothingness Nuclear warfare Shall lay us to rest (chorus) Fight fire with fire The ending is near