Despite that fact, however, they experience a series of behavioral and physical changes during winter. Paying too much attention, or basically sticking around his cage could upset him even more. Well, your ferret could be hissing because he is upset. If you were playing with him and he suddenly starts hissing, put him back in his cage. No, they don’t. It is also normal for an upset ferret to bite, painfully. At the same time, you cannot calm him down by petting him. However, this is not the only explanation of why your ferret is hissing. If it's backing away or has its tail puffed up, that's a good indication your ferret wants to be left alone, so it's time to walk away. Debris. If you own a ferret, then you know just how talkative they can be. I cannot count the times my ferret has whimpered so that I could give him my attention. In my experience, ferrets will make a hissing sound when they feel threatened. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 126(3), 1321–1335. As discussed further below, many noises made by a ferret are nearly identical except for differences in pitch and duration. If the answer to either of those questions is yes, the best course of action is to give your ferret time to cool off. Well, when we spend time outdoors, there is a chance that you brought new scents in the house. You’ll often hear this sound when your ferret is physically interacting with another ferret. There's nothing wrong with your ferret if they hiss all the time, and there's nothing wrong if they're always silent. If your ferret hisses while displaying an … We are an Amazon Affiliate. Ferret Mom & Her Babies. So, we decided to write the ultimate and most comprehensive guide to keep Ferrets. Ferrets usually hiss to show fear or anger. (+ Case For Legalization), Are Ferrets Nocturnal? This is why it is important to fully observe the situation and other factors such as your ferret’s body language while hissing to know when to react and how exactly you should react.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'officiallypets_com-box-4','ezslot_7',108,'0','0'])); Hissing is easy to recognize. Walker, K. M., Schnupp, J. W., Hart-Schnupp, S. M., King, A. J., & Bizley, J. K. (2009). If you Go Here you can take a look and get immediate access. This means that sneezing is nothing to worry about, and it’s just their way of clearing their nose and airways should they accidentally inhale some dust while playing or exploring. The best thing to do in this situation is to put him back in his cage. If your ferret is in pain, take him to the vet for an examination. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'ferretproblems_com-leader-1','ezslot_8',122,'0','0'])); My son Bobby and I have been Ferret Breeders and keepers for all of our adult lives. When they start squealing, it usually means that they are excited and playful and want attention – whether the attention comes from your or the other ferrets and animals that they have around them. The first thing that you should know is that it's In other cases, it could indicate that your ferret is in pain. Note: We may earn commissions from the links within this post. Pitch discrimination by ferrets for simple and complex sounds. My Son Bobby and I have both been avid Ferret keepers for all of our adult lives. It took many years to complete and we believe that there is no better guide to Ferret keeping anywhere in the world. So, whimpering is more of a way to seek care and attention. However, sometimes ferrets do things or exhibit behaviors that raise some concerns. Ferrets can also bite painfully if they feel threatened. Why is my ferret hissing all of a sudden? You’ll notice the same thing with your ferret, and, like with squealing, it’s because they want your attention. A hissing sound (sounds like that of a cat only not as scratchy) comes from an annoyed, mad, or a ferret that wants to play rough.