It was developed by Joanne Chang, a well-known pastry chef and owner of Flour, a bakery in Boston. Their tart flavor balances the sweetness of the maple syrup. (You may use a 9-inch cake pan with 2 1/2-inch sides. 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (I use Earth Balance Buttery Sticks), 2 cups (about 1 pound) peeled, cubed potatoes 1/2 inch thick (Yukon Gold), 2 cups whole milk (I use lactose free milk), 4 ears fresh corn (about 3 cups corn kernels removed from cobs with sharp knife). Adapted from Food & Wine and bookcooker blog, 3 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and quartered, each quarter cut into 3 equal slices (the Granny Smith apples I bought were large but if you have smaller apples you can cut the apple into eighths), 3/4 cup buttermilk (I used lactose free milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice since there is no lactose free buttermilk available here on Maui), 1 1/2 sticks Earth Balance Buttery Sticks, softened (or unsalted butter,  increase the salt to 1 teaspoon). Get every new post delivered to your Inbox. Serve right away or freeze in an airtight container between layers of waxed paper. “Best weather on the planet” as Hawaiian weatherman Guy Hagi puts it! Heat oven to 350°. I thought this Maple Apple Upside-Down Cake would be a good way to start. Mix until smooth, then whisk in half and half or milk. Potatoes should be barely tender. Their firm but creamy texture holds up well in this recipe. I also substitute 2 tablespoons of the water with vodka for a double pie crust recipe. Let the cake cool slightly, then cut into wedges and serve. You will not need all of the batter). Adapted from the original recipe: Grandma’s Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, 1 cup Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (or 1 cup unsalted butter), room temperature, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (1 teaspoon kosher salt if using unsalted butter), 2 cups oatmeal (regular, not quick cooking), 1 cup peanut halves (unsalted, do not chop). I bought some the other day and noticed the label on the package: Maui Grown – Legendary Sylvester’s Sweet Corn. Add diced potatoes making sure they are submerged beneath the broth mixture. You’ll only need a little slice (with a mini scoop of vanilla ice cream) to satisfy that sweet tooth. I will definitely make again! Simply decadent! Bake until filling is golden brown and set, about 30 – 35 minutes. It sat in the cupboard for a while, until I saw this recipe. Add salt, a few grinds of pepper, and a few pinches of cayenne. Give them a stir now and then. Smooth the cake batter over the apples and bake until golden brown. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used 60% cacao that I had in my cupboard but the original recipe uses 70% cacao) Gently reheating on the stove is suggested, rather than using the microwave (stove top  heating produces a rich, creamy texture where as the microwave will give you watery chowder). Back in the 70’s I had a recipe for corn flake cookies. Whisk remaining flour and maple sugar with maple syrup, walnuts, salt, and eggs in a bowl. Pour over baked crust. If I have leftover baked ham from a special occasion dinner, I freeze thick slices and use it in corn chowder. If your cubes are on the small side, check for doneness after 10 minutes. So Moist and Lemony. Mar 4, 2019 - DELISH! Transfer mixture to medium bowl, add water and vodka, and mix with fork until dough begins to clump together, adding more water by teaspoons if dry. They are my new favorite cookie. It's a family favorite. I kept the recipe as is for an 8x8 dish and they cooked perfectly at 23 minutes. Drop rounded mounds of dough (about 1 heaping tablespoon, or more for larger cookies) on un-greased non-stick cookie sheets flattening the dough slightly before baking. Everyone I know, looks forward to this time of year. Bake like you're used to with her versatile all-purpose flour and convenient mixes. I substitute Earth Balance Margarine for the butter and Gluten-Free Jules flour for the Flour to make it Gluten and Dairy free. I first noticed the recipe in Food & Wine magazine. Corn flakes were listed as an ingredient so I quickly jotted down the recipe. Pour in chicken broth, stirring well. Line dough with parchment paper or foil and weight down with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 15 minutes then turn the heat down to 350 degrees. Butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan; set aside. That made sense! Whisk eggs in a large bowl until a bit foamy, about 30 seconds. If your apples are on the large side and you are using a 9-inch pan, you may not need all of the apple slices. The blazing summer heat is gone, at least for several more months. Bake for about 15 minutes, rotating pan once during baking period, until cookies are golden brown. As I am lactose intolerant, when I bake a pumpkin pie, I always use lactose free whole milk. In a glass measuring cup, whisk the eggs with the buttermilk and vanilla. Everything you love about monster cookies; oats, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and m&m's. 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the pan (I used lactose free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks) 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan 8 oz. Place a plate on top of the cake and invert the cake onto the plate. This didn’t seem right so I searched around and found a couple of other versions of this recipe, one of them by Wendy of bookcooker blog. Though they are considered oatmeal cookies, the corn flakes are present and add such a nice crunch along with peanuts. I use Earth Balance buttery sticks (in place of butter), and Earth Balance shortening. Whisk in remaining ingredients except half and half. Add eggs and stir to combine well. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. I love pure maple syrup on blueberry pancakes or waffles, but I don’t eat them often enough to make a dent in all of the syrup stashed in my cupboard. Saveur magazine mentions that these dessert squares are known as Carré Érable et Noix in Quebec, where they pour fresh cream over the top before serving. In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Yummy. Add onions, and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes. Lactose Free Pumpkin Pie & Best Ever Pie Crust Pie Crust Yukon Golds are my favorite potatoes to use in corn chowder. These dessert recipes feature a buttery and smooth texture. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your potato cubes. Bake for about 15 minutes or until pie crust is very light/golden-colored. In a food processor, process butter, 1 cup flour, and 1/4 cup maple sugar until combined; transfer to pan and press evenly into bottom. Lactose Free Pumpkin Pie & Best Ever Pie Crust, 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) chilled Earth Balance Buttery Sticks cut into 1/2 inch cubes, 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) frozen Earth Balance shortening (or other non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening) cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Find the perfect vegan butter choice with Earth Balance Spreads. 1 1/2 sticks Earth Balance Buttery Sticks, softened (or unsalted butter, increase the salt to 1 teaspoon) 1 1/3 cups sugar Preparation Preheat the oven to 350 . Hawaiian Moons grocery store has the best fresh, sweet corn. Get every new post delivered to your Inbox. They were light, crispy, and so delicious. Preheat the oven to 350°. I was skimming through a local magazine (I don’t recall the name of the magazine) that had a recipe for Grandma’s Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. You could try the original recipe that uses half lard and half butter, or use butter only. Cream butter and sugars together. Let cookies cool on the pan for several minutes after baking before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. You won't give up taste just because you're giving up gluten. Pour the thickened syrup into the cake pan. Recently I discovered Organic Valley lactose free half and half in my local market. Maple syrup plus maple sugar? Roll out dough (I use lightly floured parchment paper) for 9-inch pie plate. your own Pins on Pinterest These tender, moist vegan cookies are made using buckwheat flour and classic peanut butter cookie ingredients. Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and a tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Pour into prepared crust. I thought it was interesting that lard was listed as an ingredient as well. I don’t cook with lard and used Earth Balance Buttery sticks instead. I noticed that the recipe called for baking the cake for 1 1/2 hours! *If the edges of the crust start to brown too much, this is the perfect way to avoid burning the crust! I use Earth Balance buttery sticks (in place of butter), and Earth Balance shortening.