I doubt that there will be a recall any time soon; it’s not the sort of safety issue that might trigger a recall. As far as fuel consumption goes, you need to bear in mind that even though it’s a four-cylinder diesel engine doing the work, you’re actually asking quite a lot of it when you’re towing a caravan at highway speeds. Word around the campfire, though, is that the new D-Max will indeed have an electronically locking rear differential, where previous models didn’t even have a limited-slip rear diff. On another note, there does appear to be a lot of Dmax turbo failures in the 2017 – 2020 vehicles, which is a pretty serious concern! Reach into the turbo inlet and spin the blades, using a plastic ballpoint pen. 3 weeks later the new turbo was fitted and tested, and I picked the Dmax back up. Why wont the RPM of my 2015 Isuzu D-Max go higher than 2500? Gauges. The Toyota Fortuner, for instance can’t match the HiLux’s 3.5-tonne limit and makes do with 2800kg; not enough for your requirements. Disclaimer: You acknowledge and agree that all answers are provided as a Or tricking the computer into thinking that the engine is spinning faster than it really is. An actuator pushes the vanes open at high rpm for maximum flow. From e-bikes to Uber, EVs to public transport; your resource for reviews, news and advice focusing on urban lifestyle. by jay1770 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:06 pm, Post Are you affected? I believe it is a bolt on turbo manufacturing issue as the replacement turbo has a different part in it from reading. When will this fault be recalled by Isuzu? Carsguide Tierod Sleeves. The difference would be if your vehicle was still under warranty (which, being a 2010 model, it’s not) at which point you’d need to stick with the factory service schedule to keep your warranty intact. Also, since these vehicles tend to be used off-road, the wheels and bearings are routinely dunked in silty or even salty water. It’s funny how things have changed in workshops; diagnosis on modern vehicles is done mainly by electronic scan gauges. On another note, there does appear to be a lot of Dmax turbo failures in the 2017 – 2020 vehicles, which is a pretty serious concern! by mydmax » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:32 pm, Post A problem with the pump or fuel lines could easily produce the symptoms you have. Detailed advice for you - the tradie - on what car is right for you and your job, Looking for an answer? Please note, however, that Gross Combined Mass (GCM) tallies means that there are other weight factors that need to be considered before safely towing a 2.8-tonne caravan, even with a 3500kg ute. For the Isuzu RA D-Max utility's turbo-diesel engine, the turbocharger may be slow to provide boost and power may be down due to the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve staying open. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. A forum community dedicated to Chevy and GMC Duramax diesel owners and enthusiasts. Or, it may simply be that Isuzu has made a blanket decision that all D-Maxes, regardless of driveline, have their wheel bearings repacked every 30,000km. So that’s good news. This procedure is best performed with the turbo as hot as possible as metal expands with heat, so allowing the turbo to cool may not give you an accurate gauge of its condition. What's been recalled and why. Don’t forget to replace them with a fuse of the correct amperage or you could cause more damage if the fuse ever needs to act as a circuit-breaker again (which is exactly the fuse’s role). It may help to have a second identical truck on hand against which to compare. By clicking on the 'Submit' button you acknowledge you have read and agree to by Danno » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:57 am, Post The problem with four-wheel-drives is that the front wheels are being asked to do an awful lot. They all have complex all-wheel-drive drivelines (which will be appreciated when towing a heavy trailer across a wet showground) and they use the latest common-rail diesel technology which is fairly intolerant of poor servicing. first off. A 2016 Isuzu Dmax, purchased from Victoria and trucked over. A few phone calls later and the vehicle passed the pits, and was booked in with Isuzu in Maddington for diagnosis and rectification. I wouldn’t be overly concerned about driving your D-Max from Perth to Brisbane, providing it has been serviced, the oil changed regularly, and it is in sound overall condition. Who is advising you to get rid of the Toyota? Have a 06 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 4" exhaust, K&N filter Was running a PPE tuner at level 2 which is +90hp and +120 ft lbs. What do you recommend for towing a horse trailer and large draft-horse. ATS Stage 2 W/ Co-Pilot. Looking for tips on how to carry or travel with your family? Family focused reviews and advice for everything family car related. As for a power tailgate on a ute, I’m afraid you’re out of luck. Sort of points the finger to me. Replacing the turbo would take no more than a couple of hours, but the politics, procedures and ultimately poor customer service all get in the way. Our automotive experts are here to help, If you're wondering, we've probably got the answer. Since I have a MY18 it is a concern for me. What's been recalled and why. Looking for tips on how to carry or travel with your family? I arrived home late one night, to see our new 4WD parked on the driveway. The first thought here is that you’re dealing with a dodgy throttle-position sensor or some other sensor that is giving the on-board computer a reason not to exceed 2500rpm. Cleared it 3 times, returned to stock before taking it to the dealer. A later-model example will also have side-curtain air-bags to protect rear-seat passengers. CenterLink. The heavy turbo-diesel engine sitting over the front wheels also adds to wear in these cars, and could be part of the reason for such regular maintenance. The D-Max is pretty well regarded in the trade for its ability to go the distance, but modern, common-rail diesel technology has shown that a vehicle with fewer kilometres is usually a better bet than one with more. Also listen to the pitch of the whine. Have a 06 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 4" exhaust, K&N filter Was running a PPE tuner at level 2 which is +90hp and +120 ft lbs. With 129km on the clock my New Dmax had a new turbo! From idle, the vanes' actuator rod should move linearly with engine speed to open the vanes and then begin to move back to close them and limit boost at 20 psi. is not liable for the accuracy of any information provided in the answers. 3 months with a camper trailer, 4WD and toddler; the summary, Lake Argyle and the Bungles; amazing places in WA, Our Isuzu Dmax build for touring Australia, Our new Hybrid Camper; a Lifestyle Reconn R2, Why we moved from a soft floor to a hybrid camper trailer, 7 Amazing Camp Sites within 3 – 5 hours of Perth, Towing capacity; a simple guide to keep you legal, 20 things you should never do in a 4WD recovery. How To, off-road tips and adventure travel destinations, Not just utes. SDP Big Single, Wehrli Dual Fuelers, 50% sticks, Front Coilover Conversion, Anorexic .....much much more​, Sponsored by Creatures of the Night Performance and SDP​. Keys. Does anyone have access to the part number of the VPS? Please note: Questions cannot be answered privately. I’ve seen plenty of V6 Toyotas with more than 300,000km showing and still going strong. Our database has the answer, Everything you need to know to keep you and your family as safe as possible, Helpful advice before you finance your next car, Tips for getting the right insurance and how to make a claim, Everything you need to know when sizing up your new car. … Thanks. http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684, http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549. Post Build knowledge, gain experience and sharpen your skills with the ultimate adventure-travel resource. Watch the wastegate actuator rod; it should move very quickly to open the bypass at the turbo's maximum boost point. Generally, you can’t engage a rear diff lock without engaging four-wheel-drive, but when it comes to what happens with traction-control at that point, the various manufacturers tend to go their own ways. These include things like the ute's payload, heavy bull bars, sports bars and side steps, canopies and even the number of people travelling inside. Maybe it breaks down sometimes. If your boost reads low, the turbo might not be at fault, so check for boost leaks first. Sure enough, the check engine light came on again on the way home, and it was dropped back off. And since I can’t even find out when in the next 12 months the new D-Max is due to hit showrooms, it’s a bit tricky to answer your question. Rarely would both those models make it to the same short-list. I may be interested in the VPS. Check around the rear of the unit (usually where the wiring for the speakers exits the stereo) and you might be able to locate the fuse in question. What is the fuel economy like in the 2020 Isuzu D-Max? 5" diamond eye. you can also check gmpartsdirect.com i believe. LOL I did read your message but must have scanned over the part #. None of the vehicles you’ve listed are exactly low-maintenance units. Our automotive experts are here to help, If you're wondering, we've probably got the answer. All models should check in at 20 psi of boost maximum, with the rpm at about 1,800 for 2003 to 2004 LB7 motors and 1,600 for all others. The compressor wheel should spin with minimal resistance and keep spinning for a few seconds afterward. Not a good start for the Isuzu Dmax with its fantastic reputation for reliability. This article was written by the It Still Works team, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. EDIT – After 3 years, you can read our full review – Isuzu Dmax Review after 3 years. Not good for sure. This move was not voluntary on GM's part, as competitor Chrysler had just purchased their previous engine supplier, Detroit Diesel. All answers will be published on CarsGuide.com.au. Let’s hope its the last of the problems we have! Bank on at least double that and maybe a bit more, especially if the caravan is a bigger one. Great info mydmax. We've listed all relevant models here. Disclaimer: You acknowledge and agree that all answers are provided as a Detailed advice for you - the tradie - on what car is right for you and your job, Looking for an answer? So I would imagine wheel-bearing service intervals would be a lot longer than 30,000km. If it sounds quieter or lower-pitched than it normally does, you may have a problem. Shiny, relatively clean and only 31km on the odometer; an undriven demo. This is often the case in aftermarket stereo systems. Unsure of your car's maximum towing capacity? GM was eager to develop and speed to market the 6.6-liter LB7 Duramax, which produced 235 horsepower. However, as the code had been cleared by the pits, I was asked to take the vehicle back until the check engine light came back on again. Not just utes. Detailed advice for you - the tradie - on what car is right for you and your job. As well as steering the vehicle, they also have torque going to them from the engine. Sorry, there are no cars that match your search, Sorry, there are no models that match your search. Carsguide Common fault. Boy, there’s a big difference between a Toyota CH-R and an Isuzu MU-X, Kathy. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Check all of the fittings from the turbo to the intercooler and back to the engine intake from the intercooler. You may be right for sure. Fitting an aftermarket transmission cooler, How to care for your 4WD’s automatic transmission. "Oils ain't Oils Sol". For off-road use, it may be worthwhile fitting a guard or plate over the cooler. Our database has the answer, Everything you need to know to keep you and your family as safe as possible, Helpful advice before you finance your next car, Tips for getting the right insurance and how to make a claim, Everything you need to know when sizing up your new car. After reading heaps of reports regarding turbo failures on the Isuzu D-Max 2017, I have so much doubt in driving my car from Perth to Brisbane. Cleared it 3 times, returned to stock before taking it to the dealer.