I am like everyone else, very excited about the Hawks. As an athlete, I understood the value of my health insurance. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos.

Or write about sports? But that was the year we set all the records that they are breaking this year. On 21 June 2001 at 7030 Hollywood Blvd. World-famous retired American basketball player Earvin “Magic” Johnson Jr., was born on 14 August 1959, in Lansing, Michigan, and is known particularly for playing exclusively for the Los Angeles Lakers during his 17-year active and semi-active playing career from 1979 to 1996. Johnson carried his friendly rivalry with.

I try to hire people I don't have to motivate. My first and only experience in baseball, the coach signed me up; he didn't tell me there's a thing called the curveball.

I make sure I get a lot of vegetables, a lot of fruit. The second year was a little bit easier, but still difficult. 4 spot. Scott down in Florida accepted ObamaCare, because it will work. There will always be great basketball players who bounce that little round ball, but my proudest moments are affecting people's lives, effecting change, being a role model in the community. Magic is crazy. I motivate others by making sure that they understand to go after their dreams and don't let anyone tell you you can't. Johnson then studied communications at Michigan State University, where he continued playing basketball and improving his skills, leading the team to win the Big Ten Conference title in 1978, and the NCAA title in ’79 with Magic voted the MVP. For a long time, I'd work until 10 or 11. I love to be in the ballpark. The following season, he was traded to the Bulls, where he finished his career with his only NBA championship. 2-6. This is what I do each and every day. I'm a businessman, and what I know is numbers and business. IBM Award for all-around contributions to team's success (1994).

Member of U.S. Olympic gold medal team (1992).

The attitude that I'm going to show everybody, I'm going to work hard to get better and better.

However, not all his memories from high school are pleasant ones, as when attending the Everett High School he experienced bullying and racism. On 7 November 1991 he shocked the nation by announcing he was HIV-positive and that after twelve years with the Lakers he would retire immediately from the game of basketball. I like to take walks in the park by myself, where no one can bother me and I can think. World-famous retired American basketball player Earvin “Magic” Johnson Jr., was born on 14 August 1959, in Lansing, Michigan, and is known particularly for playing exclusively for the Los Angeles Lakers during his 17-year active and semi-active playing career from 1979 to 1996.

'', On how the offer became so much more: "During my fourth year, Kevin Willis had broken his foot and was out and (coach) Mike Fratello didn't want to play Moses (Malone) and I at the same time. I talk to a lot of CEOs of hospitals. He kept me in the lineup and we went 13-3 and in a couple of those games, I scored 20 points. Cliff Levingston profile as NBA player, height, weight and age, birthplace, seasons played, career per game averages and awards received. Leaders. I guess when people ask what is the biggest transition to the NBA from college, it is definitely defense and the mental part. Joined: Jun 15, 2019 . I do not have bad days. I'm not cured, but the HIV is asleep deep in my body. I often tell people when you make a mistake, you not only hurt yourself, but you hurt the ones that love you. I love coming to work. That would have tripled his $675,000 salary with the Hawks, who responded with the massive $13 million contract. 32 retired by Los Angeles Lakers, NCAA champion (197... NBA champion (1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988), NBA Finals MVP (1980, 1982, 1987), NBA Most Valuable Player (1987, 1989, 1990), NBA All-Star (1980, 1982–1992), Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals (2010), March Madness: The Greatest Moments of the NCAA Tournament (2008), The Magic Hour (1998), Inside The NBA (since 1989), NBA Countdown (2002). Power Forward '', On the best Hawks team he played with: "There were two of them and we both won 57 games.

I got blessed from my mom. When I grew up, my family, we sat down, all of us to watch 'Good Times,' 'Sanford and Son,' all those shows that were out at that time. January 4, When you are a successful business person, you are only as good as your team. All-Big Ten twice (1978-1979). Schedule Tickets 2019-20 Stats Additional Links. I'm glad that Gov. 122 in the NBA overall. Do you have a blog? My dad worked two jobs his whole life, and so I told him he's the reason I have 20 jobs. I have a fond place in my heart for Seattle, so I hope that an NBA team comes back to this great city, this great sports city. NCAA Division I Tournament Most Outstanding Player (1979). If somebody says no to you, or if you get cut, Michael Jordan was cut his first year, but he came back and he was the best ever. Magic is a guy who would stand for nothing but winning and really prepared himself as well as he prepared his team. I was excited to go to Atlanta.
I enjoy being the messenger for God in terms of letting people know about HIV and AIDS. The first year was hard for me to deal with. When you think about the NASCAR brand, it resonates everywhere.

I do remember going to the draft because I missed my flight because of bad traffic in Dallas and I am never late for anything. If you're a competitive person, that stays with you.

Shares single-game playoff records for most free throws made in one half with 19 on May 8, 1991 vs. Golden State; most assists with 24 on May 15, 1984 vs. Phoenix; and most assists in one half with 15 on May 3, 1985 vs. Portland. And I'm saying, 'How is that a strike? I'll hear people say every so often that having HIV must not be so bad - 'Just look at Magic and how well he's doing.'. I just want to go out and be myself. Every kid, every minority kid can be so successful if they focus on their education. Earvin is the complete opposite. That hasn't always been the case. 1 sports brand. I tell people to look at me and understand that everybody first told me that I couldn't be a 6-foot, 9-inch point guard, and I proved them wrong.
It was neat being part of a program that we brought into the forefront. Worth supporting. After two seasons the Mustangs made the NCAA tournament, losing to Georgetown and Ewing 37-36 in the second round. After his recovery, Magic signed a $25 million contract, supposedly covering 25 years!

We beat all the powerhouses and my junior year (1984), we were one point away from beating Georgetown and Patrick Ewing and they would go on to win the national championship.’’. I'm from there. 0:22. Required fields are marked *. The contract made him as famous as it made me. William Berry / AJC file photo. Won the national championship with the Michigan State Spartans in 1979. Koncak’s last Atlanta season came in ’94-95, after which he went to Orlando for one year before retiring. Los Angeles Lakers franchise all-time assists leader with 10,141 and all-time steals leader with 1,724. NBA All-Star MVP twice (1990, 1992). us, College: A lot of people have great ideas, but they don't know if there's a need for it. I tell you, it's funny because the only time I think about HIV is when I have to take my medicine twice a day. My dad was my hero. It didn’t help that the team struggled for a few seasons. Manhood is taking care of your family and being able to bless other people. Subscribe to our Free Newsletter, This Month in Sports ReferenceFind out when we add a feature or make a change. NBA Finals MVP three times (1980, 1982, 1987). That deal set into motion a series of events that many thought threw the NBA’s salary structure out of line. That's that. I love it. Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? Holds career playoff record for most assists (2,346). Founded a chain of movie theatres, Magic Johnson Theatres, located in inner-city neighborhoods. Inevitably, he won numerous awards too, including NBA Rookie, winning the Championship and named MVP in the series and to the All-Star Game all in his first year – a hard act to follow! Played for the Los Angeles Lakers (1979-1980 through 1990-1991, 1995-1996).

'', Jon Koncak of the Hawks defends against Terry Cummings during the playoffs in 1989.

Shares career record for most consecutive seasons leading league in steals with 2. But while he was popular with his teammates and management and had the reputation of being nothing but class off the court, he will always be tied with the six-year, $13 million contract he received in 1989, an unheard of deal for a part-time starter, calling for more money at the time than the contracts of Larry Bird, Magic Johnson or Michael Jordan.

the official stats partner of the NBA. ▪ You can't get AIDS from a hug or a handshake or a meal with a friend. I remember the first game the next season when I took my first shot in Atlanta, the fans booed. Top .

He is the guy who lives and eats and breathes basketball. So just how rich is Magic Johnson, as of mid-2017? The important thing is this Just because I'm doing well doesn't mean that they're going to do well if they get HIV. Holds career record for highest assists per game average with 11.2. '', On being drafted: "Well, I knew I wasn't going No. They want to laugh and cry and feel good. I mean, I have seen everybody. Life doesn't stop because something happens to you. Vice President, Los Angeles Lakers (1994-1995 to present).