Doing a DIY install saves you at least a few thousand dollars on professional labor. Over the open beam there is 2 inch Styrofoam 1 inch plywood roofing felt and medium brown asphalt shingles. On the other hand, installing a central AC that is too small will not keep your house cool! Learn how to choose and maintain your HVAC system. While your mini split equipment may not look as attractive as invisible central air, you need to consider that you have a significant loss energy in the ducts of a central air system. If you divide the RLA by 6 for older units and 5 or 6 for newer units, you should get a number that approximates (not exactly) the tonnage of the system. 4 ton AC unit costs $2,500 – $2,900 For all other products please contact your sales representative. • Where is the air filter for my central air conditioner and furnace? Top AC brands include: Amana, Day and Night, Goodman Air, Carrier, Bryant, American Standard, York, Daikin, Mitsubishi, Maytag, and Heil. He will come in for an in-house estimate and tell you exactly what size central AC you need. The smallest AC unit 1 ton (12,000 BTUs) costs $1,300 – $1,700. the outside edge is 10 ft high then it goes up a little over 12 ft. Because of the high celling and the open beam it was suggested we have two registers and a return at a nearby hall way .this still remains the warmest room in the house. I live in Southern California.. BTU, or British Thermal Units, is actually a measurement for the amount of heat needed to raise one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. One ton of cooling is the rate of heat transfer needed to freeze 2,000 lbs – or one ton – of water in 24 hours. Heat transfer between walls and through the concrete slab, Costs more upfront – you can overspend by about $800+, Doesn’t get rid of humidity as well as a properly sized unit, especially in very hot climates, Cycles on and off many times throughout the day, thereby creating more wear and tear on the unit, Will not keep your house at a comfortably cool temperature on the hottest days, Running all the time instead of cycling will drastically increase your electric bill. Fixing or changing the ductwork to accommodate the AC system can add as much as $3,000-4,000 to the total price. carrier tonnage calculator Also, construction methods and materials vary in different parts of the country and it is possible that important issues related to your area may not be covered here. Residential air conditioners usually range from 1.5 to 5 tons (or, 18,000 – 60,000 BTUh). You will need the length, width and depth of your project space to be able to get your estimated tonnage calculation. Tonnage: In reference to air conditioning, a ton measures how much heat removed by the system would be needed to melt 2,000 pounds, or one ton, of ice in a 24-hour period. I can’t find it? You will need the length, width and depth of your project space to be able to get your estimated tonnage calculation. • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •. • How can I tell whether the condenser (outdoor unit) is an air conditioner or heat pump? Today, new air conditioner units are energy efficient. If you don’t mind – what is the square footage that you used in calculations? For example, a 2,200 sq.ft. Factors that your dealer will take into consideration include: Let a Carrier HVAC dealer answer your question of “what size AC unit do I need?” Carrier dealers have the training and experience to accurately measure and calculate the correct cooling load for your home. Your dealer will compile information like square footage, window and door area, insulation quality and climate to figure out just how much heating and cooling capacity is required by your system.