The base of this pin was still intact, only the top had broken off. There is no sense of obligation or guilt required to motivate us to be sustainable in this way, it’s inherent in our actions when we happen to love our stuff. Similarly, manufacturing the solution and making it available as a spare part in retail and on their online shop could have a significant impact. It’s weird, the bin literally beckoned me from across the room! You can edit your question or post anyway. Something went wrong. Customers could then start to share the responsibility with companies. I decide to simply file the stump down using a nail file, a tool even the most DIY averse will own The next day I bring my nail file with me and am delighted to find that it’s perfect to file the stump down. The desire that provokes us to buy new versions of the things we already have. Has a Velcro fastening for the top of the liner so holds in place better than the original elastic topped liner, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 8, 2020. We have being using this beauty several times a day for two and a half years now and it’s as good as the day we bought it. The catch is designed as a replaceable part in the same way as the Eiffel Tower striking pin we saw in Bin #4. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. It worked. No more public displays of madness for me so I turn to google for some “anonymous” help. Esta vez viene con un velcro que se ajusta perfectamente. This pin was going to be trickier than I thought, it takes several prototypes to refine the pin and to make it work reliably. I wonder if this was the source of a lot of pain for Brabantia? I can’t explain it but in the following months, I found eight broken Brabantia bins, six of which were on my nursery route! In my digital ramblings, I found Harryindustries, an eBay seller who developed a 3D printed clip on striker pin for Brabantia bins.

On reflection this makes total sense, if a product is likely to break once then the probability for it to break all the time is pretty high. For Brabantia to make this change is a clear sign to me that the original design was flawed.

Finally, I snap the pin on. Wow, I never knew a plastic bucket could do this..

There was a problem completing your request. These bins were well used before they broke, before they were demoted to junk and dumped on the street but as a result of their precarious journeys I like to think that they have grown emboldened new facets to their personalities, that they are lucky and resilient, enriched by their experience and all the more intriguing and beautiful as a result. This triggers some other thoughts, for example, for every customer that chooses a spare part over a replacement lid, Brabantia could in addition donate to a charity or to an environmental cause. Let the Touch Bin Service Assistant help! Personally, I would like to think that I’d be more comfortable with a replacement part as it is significantly less wasteful than replacing the entire lid. Creating an account has many benefits: check out faster, keep more than one address, track orders and more.

Vaya que os ha costado hacer un buen diseño de producto.

For a moment, imagine if Brabantia fully embraced Jon’s fix. But not in the same way. The 3D files for the clip on striking pin fixe are now uploaded here onto Thingiverse for everyone to use. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 26, 2016. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 31 July 2014. The thing is, Jon’s fix is a logical solution that fulfils a clear need. And saved me a lot of £££! To make this perfect, I’d need to take the lid home as popping in and out of the shop with each prototype, there have been about six, is a bit tedious. To get Jon’s solution out there, it needs proper distribution and while Jon’s eBay shop is in theory available to everyone all over the world, it is safe to say that it will not be found by most people. I’m going to have to do some more design development and prototyping. As it’s illegal to just take something from someones property, rubbish included, I knock on the door to speak to the owner about my little obsession. Needless to say, I’m NOT going to give up looking for new owners for these bins. Of course, if this sounds like you, let me know, I have a bin that would love to meet you. Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews. Thank you for reading. Make sure this fits by entering your model number. Is there something wrong with me? I’m excited to think about a world where big brands embrace contributions by individuals like Jon, where the future potential for collaborative problem solving is unlimited. I’m excited, but enough of my ramblings, I actually found more bins! It’s pretty clear that people want to change their bins, that when they break it gives them the excuse to go and find a new bin, a bit of retail therapy and an opportunity to match your bin to your kettle, sorry, was that a bit harsh?! Just imagine what an hour with your engineers could achieve?! It happens with open source software like Linux and information platforms like Wikipedia. I was super curious to understand more about the evolution of the striking pin on Brabntia bins so did a little research and got in touch with them. This abandoned Brabantia bin caught my attention one morning and I wondered whether it was broken or the casualty of an upgrade? Perhaps there are people that would love an old bin that might be available for a small fee. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. I suspect that the latest bollard will suffer a similar fate and be disposed of by a bin man in the near future too leaving this person and their inventiveness to fashion yet another bollard from unlikely items. Replacement inner bin. A little bit of character is OK but dented and battered like this it seems goes a bit too far. ( Log Out /  Thank you Rebecca. It’s becoming a bit of a Fort Knox fix Here’s the final deign, I’m pretty thrilled with the result . Hahaaa, that’s pretty meta. 2mm!!!!!

The fact is that Brabantia make super durable and beautiful bins that last and last but I am reminded of the sage lyric from David Homes’ song, Head Rush on Lafayette from his 1997 album Let’s Get Killed; “…the strongest chain breaks as fast as it’s weakest link…” and the striking pin is clearly Brabanita’s weakest link. Had I not noticed or had I just forgotten about it? But I wonder if something could be done here. Nice work Brabantia. Just two years later in 2014 they started to implement their new “large catch” designs which drove me mad in John Lewis earlier on in this project . That evening the bin was still there so I took it home, gave it a good wash and a thorough inspection. Brabantia had changed the design! It begs the question, does Jon’s fix need to exist on a much larger scale? I prefer the grey colour which is not going to discolour like the previous one and is a thicker quality fabric.

Several iterations later, I have a working solution that just clips on and works. Trending price is based on prices over last 90 days. The problem really lies with the pin and his solution focused on that. Clear lines, pure design, and the highest quality – the new Profile kitchen tools will make chefs’ mouths water! I for one would be super excited to see some of this happen. I decide against adding Sugru to this one as I just might do another version. Richard Wentworth and his wonderful book Making Do And Getting By.

I love to see interventions like this so I decide to just observe route, at least for a little while. It’s function is redefined simply by changing it’s environment or it’s context. Where they could chose a new replacement lid or just a replacement part. First of all I seemed to have developed some kind of Brabantia vision. But if there was a culture of embracing customers contributions, of rewarding their work and ideas, of implementing them to their wider community of customers, then interesting things can happen.

Love it!! There was a problem completing your request. Hello Select your address Best Sellers Deals Store New Releases Gift Ideas Electronics Customer Service Home Books Coupons Computers Gift Cards Sell Registry We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. What happens when you do things for other people. This was getting ridiculous. All comments, corrections, suggestions and support welcome. This stays put and doesn't collapse into the bin. So while recycling the bin and the lid is possible, it’s not practiced by everyone, even in a city like London with excellent recycling services. Next I need to figure out how I attach it to the bin. Please answer some questions, so the Touch Bin Service Assistant can identify and solve the problem of your Touch Bin lid. so even though I had  a working solution ready, it took a further two iterations to fix this bin. JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. What a blog postt!!! Please make sure that you've entered a valid question. I love catching this glimpse into the subtle but significant design evolution of a bin. As all the previous bins were in good condition, I hadn’t realised how significant a factor that was for me. Brabantia, I’m going to need your help here.

Buy Brabantia Replacement Inner Bag for Laundry Bin, 60 L - Grey at Amazon UK. It was at this point that I realised just how smart Jon’s solution was and decide to borrow the principle he used. This truly altruistic act was by a lovely woman called Rebecca and this is why she did it: Rebecca, you are a wonderful person, I wonder how many bins you have helped save from landfill? But the big discovery for me was their 10 year guarantee. Apologies for the Sugru plug but as co-founder of Sugru, I’m a massive fan of the product and use it all the time. ! In this instance, 95% of the bin is buried in a box and hidden behind a frikin’ wall and yet I still manage to see it!!! It’s effin’ crazy that this tiny piece of plastic could be responsible for so much material waste! They now use it as a bollard to reserve their parking space.

After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. This may not be easy or even possible to do all the time but it is something we can aim to achieve at least some of the time. CalMyotis Corner Protectors for Kids, Baby Proofing Corners, Keep Baby Safety, Prot... AmazonBasics Rectangle Soft-Close Dustbin with Steel Bar Pedal - Nickel, 40L. Please try again.