"Nothing wrong with being 'Americanized'," I thought. I am beginning to let go of my immature and narrow assumption that I need to be Caucasian to feel beautiful, smart, and confident for I can embrace these characteristics regardless of my ethnicity. I reached for a fish ball (my favorite), wedging the chopsticks tightly between my fingers. Sign up for Insider Select. If you would like to know, my GPA so far is a 3.84. My friends call me "Banana Girl": Yellow skin on the outside and white on the inside. As I acted as a spectator throughout the week, my admiration for Caucasians rapidly grew. Hire a Professional to Get Your 100% Plagiarism Free Paper. In discussing essay possibilities with Yvonne, I encouraged her to accent her heritage, perky spirit, and obviously good sense of humor. The Ivy League is notoriously hard to get into, as the hundreds of thousands of other applicants to the eight elite schools are well aware. Here, in her own words (in response to a follow-up from me), is a description of some of her college-process details: "I applied to the University of Pennsylvania Early Decision, and was accepted. I believed these characteristics were the reasons why I was a small, insecure banana. To justify my insecurity, I began to blame the Asian race, especially my Asian parents. As I pondered this unlikely scene, I couldn't fault their amusement. I am blessed to have had the advantage of living in and understanding two vastly different cultures. She was extremely confident and didn't feel like she needed to work very hard on her essay. Managing to break free from my mother’s grasp, I charged. From the days spent being toted around in a shopping cart to when I was finally tall enough to reach lofty sample trays, Costco has endured a steady presence throughout my life. With cart in hand, I do what scares me; I absorb the warehouse that is the world. After we completed the ceremonial burning, we prepared a feast in remembrance of my great-grandmother. I quickly tried to cover my embarrassment by plastering a bright smile on my ever-reddening face. Banana. All rights reserved. I end all my blog entries here with this imperative: "Don't forget to check out all my admissions-related articles and book reviews at College Confidential." As we walked through the Friday night crowd, the three girls were in their own clump, always in front of SeRyeong and me. Just as I sampled buffalo­chicken dip or chocolate truffles, I probed the realms of history, dance and biology, all in pursuit of the ideal cart–one overflowing with theoretical situations and notions both silly and serious.