Jurras’ early JHP designs were unlike anything the market had seen. Might be better from a longer barrel gun, but it won’t be me that tries it. (See note on Powders below or read all about various Powders.) to evaluate internal case pressures (now superseded by the more precise pounds per square inch, or p.s.i.). I did include one 110-grain prefragmented load as a sample of the type, though. Store owner was DRT. I know it was out into the later 80’s at least…..1987 or so. For an experiment, try going the opposite way. The story of the junior armorer spread far and wide. Full with 50 rounds each. The project, which began in 1973, introduced the concept of the Relative Incapacitation Index (RII), which was intended to allow comparisons between ammunition and express a load’s ability to stop an opponent. Since Federal didn’t headstamp their ammo +P+ or use that designation on the end flap all the time, the round you described could possibly have been +P+. "that metal's too hard, the bullet won't expand." Jeff, that’s a neat addition to the Treasury Load story. I'm experimenting with a 200Gr. There is no doubt from the number of two-inch .38s in use that many people do prefer them. Maybe I missed it, but was Elmer Keith’s Ideal 358439 (154 grain .38 HP) not a major inspiration for these improved bullets? Occasionally I will take a few to the range and fire them through dad’s old ISP Model 65 (the troopers were able to purchase the revolvers if they wanted it) just for old time’s sake. Steve, that wasn’t a filing cabinet you forced open, but a combination treasure chest and time capsule! Grill until just pink on the inside- mild and fine! The largest of the non-federal agencies was the influential California Highway Patrol, which adopted the round in 1976 along with their new Smith & Wesson Model 67 and 68 revolvers, and their Second Six speedloaders. I still have no problems putting the Winchester version in any of my revolvers and going about my business. I would think the Treasury Load was a little light for Idaho, where folks are wearing lots of thick clothing layers in the winter! I loaded my Ruger Service-Six with 3 rounds of the 125 grain HP +P and three rounds of 158 grain SP +P, alternating with the first round being the hollowpoint. I've been looking at purchasing a snub-nosed S&W without the worm-hole lock. load in my 2" S&W 5-shooter. While both Winchester and Federal made continuous changes to the cartridges over their lifespan (i.e., new cavity designs, the addition of jacket skives, changes to jacket lengths, different powders, etc.) His company, known as SuperVel, would seriously upset the apple cart with this radical idea. I was already being issued citations for exceeding the word limit. Liquor store owner got the drop on him and shot the thug between the eyes about 1.5" above the nose bridge. There are different factors to consider and different opinions on the relative importance of each. That's when the State Trooper handed me a hollowpoint .357 round. It moves at 979 fps producing 336 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle from a four inch barrel. In between relays, we got to shoot a bit ourselves. I loves me some Buffalo Bore.My .44 Special Model 21 Thunder Ranch is loaded up with their Elmer Keith Memorial 255gr SWC Rhino Rollers, and I keep my custom Model 57 stoked with their smokin' 265gr @ 1350fps hard-casts. Now I've got to get me a J-frame that will handle +P. The lady summed it up nicely. The “For LE Use Only” label was designed to differentiate this contract product from others in the line, and to discourage its use in unsuitable guns (i.e., aluminum frame), according to my source. You pays your money and you makes your choice. Super Vel Qualifier was out of business by the early ’80s. For sure, Super Vel was the cat’s meow back in the day. I started working at a rural sheriff’s office in Ohio during the middle 1970s. Any serious attempt at improving your sidearm’s potency would have to begin with a caliber switch, moving up to a .38/44, the .357 Magnum, or one of the big bores beginning with a “4.”. The FBI adopted this cartridge in 1972, leading to the popular “FBI Load” moniker, and kept it until it was replaced by a 147 grain +P+ Federal Hydra-Shok in the late 80s.”. My first issue was Federal 110+p+ in the red/white box. See chapter 12 of “From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners” by Glen E. Fryxell and Robert L. Applegate. They worked and got me home that terrible night. Even had one tell me two of their same model revolvers are not guaranteed to use the same speedloader because of tolerances. The Federal 110+p+ did an avg of 1062 from a 3in sp101 in fairly recent testing. Worked a homicide years ago. You made my day! In recent testing I got an avg for 5 shots of 1085 thru a 2.25 in Ruger and 1124 thru a 3in Ruger. In fact, due to the widespread adoption of concealed carry laws, the civilian market in these guns is booming with new models appearing regularly on dealer's shelves. Surplus from Cincinnati police, they said. Even the stronger .357 Magnum revolvers suffered from accelerated wear when fed a steady diet of the Treasury Load. ), but even this wasn’t high enough to reliably squeeze 1,100 fps out of the cartridge. The Treasury Load had a loud bark and made a lot of flash for a .38 Special (more so than the 158 +P LSWCHP) and this could be a difficult issue for some shooters to overcome. They shot them in .38 caliber revolvers with great results, and were encouraged to develop the concept. At the time, the FBI was starting to look hard at the 158 grain lead semiwadcutter hollowpoint (LSWCHP) which had been pioneered by the Saint Louis Police Department (accordingly, the Winchester product code for this load was “W38SPD”). I was a little disappointed in the trick handload of a 148-grain backward wadcutter. So far I have kept mine loaded with 40 S&W double-taps. The JHP design was only part of the special formula, though. To this day Smith and Wesson will tell you not to fire 38 110+p+ in any 38 or 357magnum unless the gun is marked for +p+ on the frame. Shortly after the Secret Service’s adoption of the Q4070, which became universally known as the “Treasury Load,” the federal government launched an intensive study of police ammunition that was funded by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ) and their Law Enforcement Assistance Administration (LEAA). Digging through the 158 grain round noses and semi-wadcutters and all lead hollowpoints revealed a few rather plain looking yellow boxes. They have a bore ride nose so less body down into the case … Magnum loads would wear a gun out faster, but the Treasury Load came close, and created stretching and endshake problems much faster than any other .38 Special or .38 Special +P did (but that’s a story for another time).