Not happy at all. Equipped with my tester's 6.6-liter V8, which puts out 401 horsepower and 464 pound-feet of torque, the Silverado 2500 can pull up to 17,400 pounds. An exhaust Regen within the measurement period will effect the reported fuel economy. 2020 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Cajun Red Tintcoat CC. If you're into lifestyle cosplay and only want a truck for what it projects, this isn't the pickup for you. Chevrolet also has a bunch of new tech reinforcing the Silverado HD's newfound capabilities. I don’t think we will see the days where you could get 25 miles easy from a dually like the other early 2000’s with all the restrictions. While the trip computer in the truck showed an average consumption rating of 19.6 mpg, the truck consumed 10.453 gallons of fuel over the 208.1-mile trip, placing its real-world fuel economy at 19.91 mpg. JavaScript is disabled. Discussion threads can be closed at any time at our discretion. I recall seeing an interview with a GM engineer where he explained that is part of the reason why the 3500 has a larger diameter driveshaft, beefier u-joint, as well as the 12 inch ring gear. This is the pickup you pick up when you need to live the real-deal truck-stuff life, pulling horse trailers or assembling lumber to raise a whole barn. For around-the-clock GM news coverage. He actually drove it with low pressure in 1 tire for weeks before he actually noticed the message. You guys really need to do your homework on these topics before posting these articles. that's what I ended up doing. The issue deepens when I realize that I can get just about everything I want -- the bigger infotainment screen, active and passive safety systems, all that good stuff -- but it's contained in a single $6,805 package. If you need a refresher, the 6.6-liter L5P Duramax diesel V8 is rated at 445 horsepower and a meaty 910 pound-feet of torque. 2500s with diesel have some mild torque limiting in lower gears. You may find a dealer that will, most do not. Since I like my cars to feel a little less sparse, I'll start with the LTZ trim, which adds things like keyless entry, heated seats and automatic climate control. The truck also stayed in two-wheel drive mode for the entire duration of the experiment, speeds were kept to within 5 mph of the posted limit, and acceleration and braking events were carried out in a smooth and consistent manner, Cars.com says. Duramax Problems Common Problems with the 6.6L Duramax Diesel. The only problem is that it immediately shoots my price up to $54,895 ($64,785 with the Duramax diesel V8). It's so freaking big that it can be seen across a parking lot relatively easily, not that this is an excuse to buy a truck larger than most San Francisco apartments. The Silverado 2500 doesn't fit into parking spots very well, which means I spend most of my time at the store walking from the extreme back end of the lot to the front door. It's a good system, and it includes both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, in addition to GM's optional OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot. My tester's Custom trim is the second lowest on offer, and with four-wheel drive included, it starts at $43,600 before destination. Even at 6 feet tall, I can barely see into the engine bay once the hood is open, and I have to grab for anything I can get my hands on to close the darn thing again. Still, imagine the off-road range of the at4! But that's kind of the point: None of the above matters as much when you're doing real-deal work like towing or hauling. Different axle ratio and transmission in the 2020 are a significant improvement over the 2017. The publication put its 2020 Sierra HD test vehicle on a 208.1-mile loop in Michigan, taking the AT4-equipped truck on both city streets and out on the highway. Not without getting electrification involved, which could be a interesting. This seems to infer the 2500 does limit torque in 1st gear. My issue is that I am thinking about upgrading my trailer to a 5th wheel with a pin weight of 2,200 lbs which would put me over the limits. You can also subscribe without commenting. My colleagues who've towed with the Silverado say the brake pedal feels confident in these situations, but in everyday use it's not that spectacular. On the negative side, Chevrolet barely gave the interior any attention in the truck's makeover, leaving it with a design that looks old and loads up on mediocre plastics, and the build quality isn't as good as it is on competitors like the Ram 2500. I burned 5 gallons of def and got 8.4 mpg. I pulled a piece of equipment to North Carolina and back that weighed 5000lbs. But that’s ok people by these trucks for towing, payload capacity and having a nice rig. Neither 2500's nor 3500's with the Duramax have torque limiting in any gear. Every Silverado HD comes with a 7-inch touchscreen running Chevrolet's Infotainment 3 system, a recent reskin that boosts responsiveness and gives the aesthetics a thorough modernization. After a half-inch of travel, the pedal firms up immensely, making smooth modulation a little tricky. Navigation and an 8-inch screen are upgrades on higher trims, but the 7-incher will do pretty much everything you need it to do. The brakes are the same the wider tires are needed for load capacity. The exhaust brake is very weak and the seems to lack power in first and second gear. Bumps produce traditional body-on-frame wobbles, and my truck's 20-inch wheels do nothing to absorb or otherwise mitigate on-road nastiness. We are also looking for an experienced forum moderator to join our team. September 24, 2020 By jake Leave a Comment. I am beginning to agree. My 2020 Denali L5P is at 15.5 all around average, but on the road at 65 MPH with no wind was running around 24 to 26. If you are only buying a truck to use very occasionally (or just drive for the lifestyle points), I would highly recommend sticking with light-duty variants for more user friendliness. I test these trucks everyday. August 20, 2020 By jake Leave a Comment. I just bought my 5th which is the 2020. © 2020 CNET, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. 2011–2016 2500HD Silverado 6.6L V8 Duramax diesel trucks with LML engines. The 18 and 20 in wheels also have slightly larger tire circumference. You lost all credit as a credible source when you said the EPA hasn’t released ratings yet because they won’t ever release ratings for this vehicle. The first time we drove the truck, former reviews editor Jon Wong praised the Duramax's effortless hauling ability, but he pointed out that the 6.6-liter gas V8 really had to huff to keep the pace. Our new 2020 with 18’s has suffered from tire uniformity induced rear axle shake, 65-75mph, took some effort at a dealer to road force match new tires to the trucks aluminum wheels, but is acceptable now. From there, though, the creature comforts can get a little depressing. Probably will get 21-22 mpg once wore in with a normal truck. We know, advertisements are annoying and slow down the internet. The 2020 Chevy Silverado HD has presence in spades. This truck, I’d expect to improve with time and with better tires. I have read forum posts with people with my exact truck pulling trailers with a pin weight over 3000 lbs and claim the truck does fine. For a truck that weighs over 7,000 lbs and is geared for towing and work, that’s pretty good fuel economy. 2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 410,000 miles so far. Getting up into the truck itself is also an exercise, with shorter drivers and passengers making good use of the many steps and grab handles available, like some twisted version of an elementary school playground. My 2017 Denali L5P was 12 all around and around 18 on the 65 MPH roads. The tires had some play but having a truck that big and high off the ground, aerodynamics are like a brick in the wind. In addition to the off-road tires, the AT4 package also adds underbody skid plates, Rancho off-road shocks, an Eaton locking rear differential and an Off Road setting for the traction control, among other small items. The Silverado 2500 looks about as aerodynamic as it is. Any guesses from the group what I would save to go with a 2020? The EPA NEVER EVER test vehicles rated at 8600 lbs or above GVW…so you will not see any C/K 2500, F250, or Ram 2500 3/4 ton or above pickups with mpg ratings. Make $60k-$80k per year doing what you love. We'll send you one email per day with the latest GM updates. ... 2020 Ford F-250 Super Duty Test Drive: A Tough Truck With A Soft Side Test Drive. 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 2500HD Duramax Fuel Economy Tested We are currently looking for experienced automotive journalists and editors to join our team. See what's new for the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado HD. We are currently looking for experienced automotive journalists and editors to join our team. 1999-2006 Chevy Silverado & Sierra Fuse Box Diagram. We delete comments that violate our policy, which we encourage you to read. 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ, Consumer Guide review of the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 pickup equipped with the 6.6-liter Duramax diesel V8, gallery, SUVs aren't the only ever-growing cars consumers are obsessed with -- pickup trucks are a part of that fray, too. We imagine the Allison-branded 10-speed automatic, which is the only available transmission on Sierra HD models, massively helps with the truck’s overall fuel economy. This is based only on a published curb weight and a maximum weight of 10,000 pounds. I just wasn't planning to upgrade so early. August 19, 2020 By jake Leave a Comment On diesels, leaf springs, rear shocks, rear axle 12"ring gear, 80 psi rear tires, requires 18 or 20 in tires, and no torque limiting.