Nursing Wound Care Reflection Essay: wound care nurse Education has a substantial influence on the knowledge and proficiencies of nurses Nurses with Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degrees are better prepared to participate on today’s health care system. Reflection and reflective practice have been reiterated in literature to be key approaches to learning (Timmons, 2006) hence enabling a judicious mixture of theory and practice among nurses. Immediate management included assessment for obvious injuries other than the abrasion but none were elicited.

A Zoologist named George Winter (1927 – 1981) studied wound healing in a domestic pig and later became interested in wound dressings. A vascular surgeon performed staged sharp removal of necrotic tissue to reduce bacterial load and wound dressings with an antimicrobial agent were utilized. This assignment will discuss the importance of reflection and reflective practice within health and social care. Copyright © 2003 - 2020 - NursingAnswers.net is a trading name of All Answers Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales.

I had The essay will also discuss the governing bodies like the NMC (Nursing Midwifery Council), and the failings of the NHS through reflection, well-educated nurses, the concepts of reflective and critical thinking have been stressed to be of vital importance to not only the profession but also the process of learning.

No plagiarism, guaranteed! Aetiology of pressure ulcers is complex and caused by many factors but mainly a combination of unrelieved pressure, shear and friction; or pressure combined with the effects of other intrinsic elements which include disease, medication, malnourishment, age, dehydration/fluid status, lack of mobility, incontinence, skin condition, weight; and extrinsic variables, external influences which cause skin distortion like pressure, shearing forces, friction, moisture (Niezgoda and Mendez-Eastman 2006). in the community with the district nurses I had the opportunity to observe at leg ulcer clinic. VAT Registration No: 842417633. While she also takes care of wounds and ostomies, she also makes rounds for the anthesiologists on their PCA pumps and starts PICC lines. This is usually achieved by selecting a dressing of the appropriate absorbency. been asked to remove his, experience as a college student that they will never forget in life. They realise that one aspect greatly affected by the normal aging process is wound healing. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may increase peripheral oedema and are inappropriate for patients with pressure ulcers (NICE 2001). L E – OR MCMC Nursing Reflection on Pressure Sores. On the other hand, active learner tend to retain and understand information, PZ1015 The importance of reflective practice within healthcare Heavy colonization of infected sites is a risk factor for infections associated with any type of wound but mostly for wounds that penetrate deeper into the skin.

In my opinion, I evaluated that it does not a matter whether it was a patient-centred communication or task-centred communicationbecause both communication mentioned by McCabe (2004) actually doesinvolves communication to the patients.

According to Ennis and Weness (2000), excess of exudates within the wound can also inhibit healing. 3  Pages. gentleman, Mr Khan (pseudonym), who had undergone abdominal surgery.

On assessment of his wound on admission, my mentor identified that the wound was not being managed with the appropriate dressing and the integrity of the skin surrounding his wound was at risk.

Wilkes, L. M. et al (2003) The hidden side of nursing: why caring for patients with malignant leg ulcers wounds is so difficult. 1) Firstly, future personal growth

Description This essay will discuss my experience of wound management, while working alongside my mentor on a rehabilitation unit, for a 72-year-old patient who was admitted to the unit for the management of a Grade 3 sacral sinus pressure ulcer. Gibbs (1988) reflective cycle has been adapted in order to provide structure to the reflection process. The aim of this reflection is to describe my personal experience in wound care and its management. On arrival, my mentor asked me to manage M’s, nurses. Aseptic technique, Inflammation, Healing 868  Words | As I started my adaptation program in the surgical ward, I am expected to be dealing so much with surgical wound care.

Some articles I read cover all of it and some articles that I have read only cover half or not enough to be considered a source at all. I also observed how complications are prevented by providing patient education and observing the principles of proper hand washing and infection control. Gibbs (1988) reflective cycle has been adapted in order to provide structure to the reflection process.

Client pen portrait.

Although I know how to do it due to the numerous times I’ve seen them perform these procedures, it still feels different when you do these procedures yourself because you will be able to enhance the skill and gain more confidence when you do it more often. Wound care (Pressure Ulcer) Most stabbings occur because of intentional violence or through self infliction.

Cleanliness, Aseptic technique, Nursing 1028  Words |

- Every paper finds readers. 3  Pages. I was able to do wound care with the wound care nurse on September 26th, 2016. VAT Registration No: 842417633. Communication, Interpersonal relationship, Psychology 1294  Words |