rifles before any of them are fired. has been rightly said, there can be some slight increase in velocity. The following serial numbers were assigned at the end of the years shown below (From Antique Firearm Network): A Model 1895 won the Wimbledon Cup in 1896 or 1897. loads have had no difficulties with these Third Generation rifles. Frame has 70% blue with remainder being a gray patina. Bore has strong rifling with light frosting. travel run and the rear lock up improvement also added to the overall strength Z-Hat in Wyoming also does such conversions & makes takedowns, too! Winchester 1897 manufacture dates. handloaded ammunition which keeps to factory pressures (usually a little below The rim of each succeeding cartridge must NOT get behind the rim of the cartridge below or the Great Mother of All Jams will result. 713 - 781 - 6407 limit for the .270 is, if memory serves, even a bit higher than the .30-06. Your email address will not be published. Model 1895's. Winchester 1895 .40-72 WCF caliber rifle. Octagon barrels are very rare in 1895s and .38-72 caliber is one of the rarest in Winchester 1895s. I have found the Bertram brass to be O.K., 1895's has never been perfectly agreed upon. Has 24” barrel. Was there a 7th Cavalry mark or stamp??? As Year. WINCHESTER MODEL 1890 : Total Manfactured by year : Year. Metal has a brown and gray patina. There was also a lot of use of the big levers in real life, rather dirty, not easy to clean your rifle, hard usage situations. Be the first to review “Restored Winchester 1895”. 293,000 weapons) is made up of the Russian muskets for the Tsar's embattled (and Is this true? WWII German Codes & Markings : WINCHESTER DATES OF MANUFACTURE. With heavy bullets (180, 200, & 220 grainers), it operates at velocities which maximize penetration, even with non-premium bullets. of the way along, as with the Models 1886 and 1892. Bloomfield, NY 14469. The 1990's & after versions have a tang safety & a rebounding hammer. (4) When Winchester/USRAC/Miroku made 1895's in .270 Winchester in the 1990's, I was not interested in a chambering that was (1) unoriginal and (2) for an excellent long-range cartridge that would benefit greatly from the scoping that the 1895's top ejection made awkward. The U.S. Army's tests had evolved at the Springfield Arsenal a cartridge, vaguely derived from the .303 British, that became, after several revisions, the .30-40. to taking Browning's brilliant conceptual models (often supplied to Winchester You might want to consider that route, as opposed to the maximum load route for the .405's. That is not to say that other weights can't be made to work. those designed by Browning himself. The barrel has 90% of the finish. Model 1895, particularly those in .30-03, .30-06, and 7.62x54R Russian, be Made in 1900. The Browning design had many wonderful attributes. Are you going to do a lot of reloading for it? There were 6,000 Grade I (field grade) .30-06's, 1,000 High Grade .30-06's, The Hornady bullets (available for handloading) are better constructed than the original Winchester bullets, which were close to fragile - better for lion than for heavy boned big stuff. A 100-year old rifle as a daily user can just have issues - not always, I recognize. Made in 1926. fluted-side receiver and the alteration (& size reduction) of the bolt & Much, perhaps most, of the early sporting use of the .30-06 was in Model 1895's. You ask about pressure limits for the other Winchester designers, engineers, & factory supervisors, who were used Barrel has 97-98% original blue. The Army brass did not like them (the difficulty of working the lever while prone was one objection), & they gave way to the Springfields when the switchover was made to .30-03 and then .30-06. They are expensive. 400 & 405-grainers, as well as the factory Cor-Bon 350-grainers & the big 500-grainers). locking of the bolt was completely at the rear, as opposed to about two-thirds Scarce .40-72 caliber gun. (7) For all the reasons discussed earlier the .30-06 (let alone .270) with modern factory loads (at higher velocities & pressures than the .30-06 velocities & pressures c. 1908, when the Model 1895 was first chambered in .30-06) is operating near the ceiling of the Model 1895's pressure design capacity. Wood is very good. Nice sharp gun in a great... Toll Free: (877)214-9327E-mail:Contact Us, Free Ground Shipping on all US Online Orders Over $100, Toll Free: (877) 214-9327 The Hornady cases have really pleased me. With the two latter, Winchester was hedging its bet on smokeless powder. Very good overall condition with sling. Other improvements included a two-piece firing pin Very nice gun and a scarce takedown variation. Barrel has 90% of thinning blue. .30-40 Krag (.30 U.S.). Winchester 1895 Saddle Ring .30-40 caliber carbine. Please be very careful with high Winchester 1895 .40-72 WCF caliber rifle. Anecdotal evidence is that Second Generation .30-06 users have had no Contact us for more information and additional photographs. 1S .218 Bee rechambered & rebored to .35 Winchester. Copyright © 2020 All Rights Reserved. Winchester 1895 Saddle Ring Carbine. 713 - 781 - 1960 By whom? The remaining 9,900 were disposed of in 1906 & were sold primarily in Cuba for military use there. There was a great deal of Model 1895 use along the Mexican border in the period 1900-1920 by Mexican units, by the Arizona & Texas Rangers (supported by photographic evidence), &, it seems, by some US Cavalry units. Hamilton Bowen did the work for me, & he did it to his usual extremely high standard. That is not true for the other chamberings. Phone: 585-657-6338 This was the first sporting rifle for a smokeless cartridge in America. Hats off to Winchester/USRAC/Miroku & to Hornady for reviving a great gun. The steels are modern and much better, but the design My personal preference is for the .405 over a heavy loaded .45-70, but I am sure that others will have differing ideas. definition work. It was featured on the cover of our 2020 calendar, and is today being put up for sale. particular, often saw hard service. So, this is not the rifle for extreme hot-rodding. I do not greatly mind those; others do very much. Has a 28” barrel. Are you going to shoot your 1895 a lot? Winchester had launched the Model 1895 before sufficient refinement had been As with the After about 7,200 Model 1895's were made, the slightly stronger scalloped receiver, which is the familiar one for the 1895, was introduced. Like the 1894, it is a John Browning design. I am NOT at all recommending using outdated loading data, but I do note that the highest pressures given were at 43,000 psi. Early model made in 1895. Roughly, they are the 1895's with serial numbers from 1 through about 5,000. My Browning handles 220, 200, 180, & 165-grainers all quite nicely. & others at the Winchester factory. The bore has strong rifling and is bright and shiny. First Generation." Year. The Model 1895's in .30-06 had some difficulties with bolt face peening & setback (sometimes resulting in excess headspace) when factory loads in .30-06 were upgraded & pressures increased. Action works perfectly. handle higher pressures than the First Generations because of their superior The box magazine also made possible the use of spitzer & semi-spitzer bullets - the points did not rest on the primer of the cartridge ahead. Early rifles have a flat-sided receiver &, hence, are called "Flat-Sides," which are very attractive to collectors. Frame has 95% original blue. Made in 1895. Grade .30-40 and also converted a Grade I .30-40 to .35 Winchester. The most obvious changes are the rebounding hammer and the tang Where? Gun is in fantastic condition. Model 1890 Model … (10) The .30-40 is an underrated cartridge. At Winchester's behest, Browning made the design that became the Model 1895. remained the same. Wood is excellent with nice figure. When velocities in the .30-06 steady diet. The workmanship on all the Miroku-made revivals is superb, in my opinion. The modern Miroku-made 1895's, both Brownings & Winchesters, do fine with current .30-06 & .270 factory loads, many of which probably well exceed 47,000 psi. (8) The .30-40 is the original Model 1895 cartridge. Made in 1925. 6680 State Route 5 and 20 Also, the The Whelen is the .30-06 necked up to .35 Has 28” barrel. Desirable .303 British caliber 1895. I don't like the fore-end shape (preferring the original), but it works. The 1894 design proved to have a sufficient reserve of design strength that, with a nickel steel barrel, it could be used for smokeless cartridges (e.g .30 WCF & .25-35), though it was introduced with blackpowder cartridges (.38-55 & .32-40). Time for carbines, .30-40's, & maybe a .35 Winchester! Houston, Texas 77063 Added to our showroom today is a restored Winchester Model 1895 in .30 U.S. Manufactured in 1900. I strongly advise that any First Generation Please enter a serial number and click the submit button. If you will use the rifle for occasional fun, for sighting in, & for yearly hunting trips, then the .30-06 would be absolutely fine. Made in 1926. I hope that Winchester will make a run of .30-40's, and I hope that they will choose to make the 22" barrel carbine version (something a little different! (This was correctly shown in the 1997 film "The Rough Riders.") Wood is very good. SAAMI maxima, but that is a whole story in and of itself). substantial changes. (2) There is not perfect agreement on what pressure a Model 1895 will withstand as a standard working pressure. Excellent condition with 98% original blue on barrel. When Winchester made the originals of these big levers - the Model 1895, the Model 1886, the Model 71 - was there a conscious decision to make the chambers just a tad generous? Like all the Browning designs for the classic leverguns, William Mason of the Winchester firm made Browning's brilliant theoretical model into a firearm that could actually be manufactured & which worked well. (3) Firearms historians are still trying to clear up official US Army use of the Model 1895. The 1895 was designed, from the outset, to be used with smokeless cartridges (although, interestingly, it was introduced with 2 blackpowder cartridges & 1 smokeless). (3) The Brownings, in comparison with the later USRAC Winchester's, do not have the rebounding hammer & the tang safety. The .303 British was added in 1898 & sold quite well in Canada. It was, however, a radical departure from previous Winchester levers, including Flatside, however, because of the obvious - a flat sided receiver. That is due to better steels. Frame has been cleaned. Has a 28” barrel. Simpler mechanism; less to go wrong. Made in 1912. An extremely popular factory option was the addition of the Lyman Model 21 receiver sight, which later, with a wheel for windage adjustment, became the Lyman Model 38. In those palmy days, there was less handloading (& the makers were not too keen on handloading). It was not only the introduction of the Model 54 bolt action in (i.e., .30-40 Krag / .30 Army). This example came to us in 2015 for restoration work, and has since been a popular attraction among our show rifles. Again, anecdotal word is that .30-06 and .270 users who employ standard pressure Winchester 1895 Deluxe .30-40 Krag caliber rifle. Wood is in excellent... Winchester 1895 Takedown .35 WCF (W10651). Ken Waters did extensive load development with a Second Generation High Added to our showroom today is a restored Winchester Model 1895 in .30 U.S. All this information appears in various sources (e.g. My answer: a 1984 vintage Browning .30-40. The stocks are very good... Winchester Model 95 .30-40 Krag caliber rifle. Dave Scovill developed the powerful .375 Scovill cartridge, and there is also a .411 Hawk.