What are everyone's thoughts on the situation now that we have more pieces of the puzzle? Please read the guide below for more info and how to filter on mobile. In my life, I have always tried to treat others with decency, integrity and kindness. Get push notifications with news, features and more. CNN reached out to CBS for comment, but has not heard back. My personal feeling is if anyone ever felt for a second uncomfortable about anything I’ve ever done, I’m horrified about that and I’m terribly sorry.”, RELATED: Survivor Contestant Accused of ‘Inappropriate Touching’ as 2 Players Admit to Using Allegations to Win, PEOPLE has spoken to multiple people involved with the show’s production, all of whom say that producers were concerned about how to handle the situation. (CNN) It was the first time in the "Survivor's" 39 season history that a contestant had been pulled over an issue of conduct and he is finally speaking out. ), Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green Have Been 'Struggling to Get Along for a While,' Says Source, See All the Celebs Taking RV Trips This Summer, The Sweetest Photos of Princes Harry with Diana, From Empty Streets to Virtual Weddings: What Life Has Looked Like During the Coronavirus Pandemic. Dan Spilo has remained silent ever since news of his forced departure from the show made headlines last week but now he is issuing a public apology. The explanation seems odd for two reasons. Introducing ... PEOPLE's Products Worth the Hype. Robert Voets/CBS Entertainment. The Hollywood talent agent was removed from the game on day 36 after an undisclosed incident off-camera. During the subsequent tribal council, Spilo apologized, saying, “I work in an industry in which the #MeToo movement was formed and allowed — thank God — to blossom and become powerful and strong. I know that Jeff Varner is running around Twitter preaching Dan's innocence, but Varner's credibility has been crap ever since his nasty behavior on Game Changers, which he tried to use for famous moments in the 'real world.' Dan Spilo removed from Survivor. He seemed destined to make the final three until his surprise ejection on day 36. She has now spoken out about Spilo's apology, questioning its timing. “But there was a difference of opinion of what should be done.”. “There was never any indication that something was going on or that someone had issues.”. I can only hope that my actions in the future can help me to make amends and show me to be the kind of father, husband, colleague and friend that I always aim to be.". Dan, however, was warned and I can't defend him based off this information because it sounds too odd. At the end of Wednesday’s episode, the screen faded to black with the following text: “Dan was removed from the game after a report of another incident, which happened off-camera and did not involve a player.”. As early as day 2, contestant Kellee Kim told Spilo that she would prefer that he not touch her. Kellee may have been in a position to win if Dan had never driven her to reporting him and thus getting herself voted out in that crucial and pivitol post-merge first tribal. He continued to play the game and was never seriously in danger of being voted out. These filters only work on desktop and will default to classic reddit. But the show’s production team wasn’t convinced that the contact was merely incidental. “But the feeling was, ‘it’s time to pull the plug.’ In many ways, this was just the final straw.”. For the first time in Survivor history, a contestant was expelled for inappropriate behavior after being formally warned on-camera in a previous episode. “It’s ugly and it’s controversial,” a third production source tells PEOPLE. Why Survivor Contestant Dan Spilo Was 'Removed' from the Game and What the 'Off-Camera' Incident Was this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. If you would like to opt out of browser push notifications, please refer to the following instructions specific to your device and browser: this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Kellee Kim, who Spilo mentions in his apology was one of the contestants on "Survivor" this season, and had made it known that she was uncomfortable with the way in which Spilo touched her. CBS altered the parameters of the reunion show over this crap and it's just so hellishly mortifying that it's better to declare Season 39 a dead season. At one point, Spilo allegedly touched the female crew member’s leg. Producers pulled each contestant aside to discuss the issue — but some players now say that the warnings were so unspecific that no one understood the severity of the issue. Here are the thoughts I've had about this for awhile with some added. While some contestants were unbothered by the physical contact, Kim brought it up again and was voted out of the game on day 22. “No one has ever been kicked off the show, ever, since 2000. Ultimately, Spilo was permitted to stay — on a very short leash. And by the time it got to this point, everyone was just saying this season had become a sh– show. After the episode aired, Spilo was told by the CBS legal department that he would not be permitted to appear at the finale. Following an episode last week the show briefly flashed a title card on the screen that read that Spilo, 48, a talent manager contestant had been "removed from the game after a report of another incident, which happened off-camera and did not involve a player.". Nobody else besides Jeff has discussed tonight yet and I'm sure if anyone thought Dan was in the right, people would speak up like they did with the Kellee thing. So once the incident was brought to their attention they jumped on the chance to this time remove him. Text us for exclusive photos and videos, royal news, and way more. “If it had been his first strike, I don’t think he would have been removed from the game,” the first production source tells PEOPLE. A full recap of the episode is available, where it is revealed that someone new was voted off the island.