Assisted living facilities usually have arts & crafts or sewing clubs. RTF centers would be thrilled to take your yarn (or fabric, if you happen to have that on hand) for their seniors to use. Do you have somewhere you take your fabric donations to? They accept donations of yarn, knitting needles, and PolyFil. We are constantly in need of donations of new yarn and fabric in order to keep creating blankets for the children in need. Spent some time this weekend recording the first v, I've been so inspired by all the people releasing, How is everyone doing? Make sure they can collect what you have on offer. Its also really good to know that your donations are going back to your community. Senior centres are usually underfunded and are always accepting gifts, donations and volunteers. I worked at an elementary school for many years and I know the art lady appreciated donations of yarn. Instead of throwing out all of those unused fat quarters or fibers, here’s where to donate craft supplies that you’re no longer using. You can contact a. It’s also always best to seperate your fabric into like piles. See below for what we accept & don’t accept. They can always use fabric and batting donations for blankets, bags, and quilts. Your email address will not be published. What else do you have that might benefit the organisation? They usually keep good stuff to the side and people come and take what they need. art, design, fashion and performing arts departments that are always looking for fabric donations for the students to use. terry cloth, fleece, velour, fake fur (for tactile quilts), New or gently used kitchen items: pots, pans, serving/eating utensils, dishes, and countertop appliances, Hard-surface furnishings (dinette sets, beds, desks) on a very limited basis, Countertop kitchen appliances in very good working order. Your email address will not be published. It is not just you who seems to have an ever expanding collection of unused fabric. There is a dropdown menu on our site of the current list of local chapters. Fat quarters are fun to collect and even more fun to use! Number one, I'm using. Schools: Some schools might need for crafting projects. More often than not this will annoy the organisation. If you live in the Portland, Oregon area, you can donate craft supplies at a drop-off location or arrange for pick up. Before calling make sure you have an idea of how much fabric you want to donate. The Mother Bear Project has the very specific goal of providing hand knitted or crocheted bears to children with HIV Aids in developing countries. This is another great place to donate your unwanted gear too. Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Guides etc: Groups like this teach youngsters real life skills that they can pass on to others and take with them through real life. Colleges might need for fashion or design projects. A Little Something Beads and jewelry making tools can find a second life at this Denver, Colorado-based charitable organization, which helps train refugee women how to make jewelry and other crafts as a means of income. If you are a crafty person, you might even become a volunteer! This network of do-gooders will then distribute the supplies to its volunteers, who knit and crochet hats, mittens, scarves, and other necessary items for children and distribute them around the country. Sewing guilds are a great place to donate your fabric to. February, 2015 | O ur chapters all have different wish lists. Singer Sewing Machine Review: The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 [September 2020], Brother Sewing Machine Review: The Brother CS6000i [September 2020], Brother Sewing Machine Review: The Brother SE400 [September 2020], Brother Sewing Machine Review: The Brother SE425 [September 2020], Sewing Machine Reviews: The Best Computerized Sewing Machines [September 2020], Sewing Machine Reviews: The Best Sewing Machine For Beginners [September 2020], Sewing Machine Reviews: The Best Kids Sewing Machine [September 2020], Sewing Machine Reviews: The Best Monogram Machine [September 2020], How To Make A Nerf Gun Bullet Holster [September 2020], How to Mend A Seam in 10 Easy Steps [September 2020], How to Sew a Hole in 10 Easy Steps [September 2020], Where You Can Donate – Fabric Donations [September 2020], Janome Sewing Machine Review: The Janome HD3000 [September 2020]. In most cases that would be enough for them to let you know if they can accept it or not. Paper flowers are all the rage, I know. Will also take fabric/batting donations. I would love to create a big resource where people can come and find their nearest fabric donations point. The last thing anyone wants is to open up a bag of old musty, stained dirty fabric. “In low-income districts, school supplies are a luxury that many classrooms go without,” writes the Volunteer Guide, who add that it’s totally acceptable “if your supplies are slightly used – teachers will be so happy to have the school supplies that they won’t be too picky about their condition.” This is also true for locations which help women and children, such as shelters and other resources. No one wants to get several bags of mixed fabric dumped on them. Local organizations or groups that are likely to appreciate a donation of craft supplies include: The Dreaming Zebra Foundation provides access to art and music supplies for thousands of children, schools, art therapy programs, and community organizations throughout the United States. how much you can help out a non profit organisation with items that you no longer need or use. We also accept gift certificates to fabric and craft stores such as Joann's, Michael's, Hancock's and Catan's. “Artists attend a series of low to no-cost workshops where they are encouraged and supported to explore different media, develop artistic skills, and enhance their methods of self-expression,” according to PROVAIL, which accepts shipped donations of new and used art supplies year-round. They are looking for donations of yarn, knitting needles, and books on knitting. Please note that these sizes are approximates. Let me know so I can add that onto this list! *Before you donate, evaluate the quality of your loot and make sure the supplies still have utility left in them. Whether it’s the lap-sized loom you got when you considered getting into textiles, or the paintbrushes that never say a drop of pigment because someone gave them to you because they heard you’re an artist but painting isn’t really where your heart is, it’s time to stop holding on to those aspirational art supplies and turn them over to someone who might actually put them to use. PROVAIL Located in Seattle, Washington, PROVAIL’s Art is NOT an Option campaign “promotes creativity, independence, dignity, and community integration for all participating artists with disabilities.”. he presence of an organization on this list does not constitute a recommendation on my part, nor do I represent any of these organizations in any way. Completed quilts for children: twin (60″ x 80″), crib (40″ x 50″). It helps get people back on track and help teach life skills to those who may not have any. If you are donating fabric (or anything in general) you will need to get the items to the organisation. Different local chapters are always looking for donations. Thistle Farms supports women coming out of prostitution. This fabric would be better off with someone who might use it or even better, someone who needs it. This is a guide about donating yarn. You might be surprised how much you can help out a non profit organisation with items that you no longer need or use. Whether the day leaves you looking at life through rose colored glasses,…. And if you’re really not sure where to make donations? Have you got a surplus of buttons, beads, fabric, craft paint, or yarn cluttering up your closet? © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. In general your fabric shouldn’t be too dirty, but, always give it a once over before donating. I have been looking into what to do with old fabric because I know there has to be a better way than just throwing it out in the trash. This network of do-gooders will then distribute the supplies to its volunteers, who knit and crochet hats, mittens, scarves, and other necessary items for children and distribute them around the country. Note: the foundation also accepts donations of musical instruments. We accept… Books Craft Supplies. If you have an excessive amount of yarn, it would be great to donate it to a school, nursing home, or someone that needs it for a special project. They take pillowcases, dolls, super-hero capes, crocheted blankets, Masks And Gloves Litter Are Covid-19 “Hotbeds”​. Hanna Brooks Olsen is a writer and editor for CreativeLive, longtime reporter, and the co-founder of Seattlish. Do you have old clothing? I would love to create a big resource where people can come and find their nearest fabric donations point. You’ll see them in tote bags, purses, you’ll even…, Running a handmade business tends to ebb and flow around the needs for inspiration, product creation and of course maintaining…, Valentine’s Day can be a particularly polarizing holiday. I hope you can see that this is an outstanding way for you to donate your yarn. Post navigation ← Previous Post. This s a good excuse for a spring clean. These are our only official chapters. And the best part is that these organizations do great acts of kindness with your supplies. Where You Can Donate Your Fabric Assisted living: Assisted living facilities usually have arts & crafts or sewing clubs. There are many churches around and you can always find one who has a project on that need fabric donations! There are many charities and organizations that need sewing supplies, yarn, fabric and more. –(Novi, Michigan)  Needs new blankets for Homeless children. At least once (3 – 4) times a week I will head on down to my local to pick up some supplies and walk out with my arms full of new cool fabrics… which I never get around to using. Give fabric scraps (or fabric you're not in love with anymore) new life by donating it to an organization in need. Sewing and creative skills are a big part of this. Try and group your fabric based on colour and fabric type. Shirts, pants, etc, Offcuts? Either way, I know your donation will be greatly appreciated, and you can have the doubly satisfying experience of donating. Allpeoplequilt is part of the Meredith Home Group. Request failed {{ opp.title }} This is a Virtual Opportunity. You can donate craft supplies to one of the numerous organizations which regularly utilize such items as part of their program and help. Give fabric scraps (or fabric you're not in love with anymore) new life by donating it to an organization in need. – Donate a pillowcase for children with cancer, provides for women and children in shelters. Donating yarn, donating fabric, donating batting. Some organisations won’t take certain fabrics. This also makes it much easier if one organisation only wants certain fabrics. Otherwise, you can mail your donation. I have now accepted the fact that I need to get rid of some of my fabric. Purses, totes, and shoulder bags--we have all the free bag patterns you need! Your local schools, women’s shelters, YMCAs, community centers, preschools, or churches. Prisons: Some prisons who offer classes might need donations. Before you get in touch with your selected charity make sure you go through your fabric and see what you have. We asked our readers where they like to donate their fabric scraps, and compiled a list of the results! 2 More opportunities with Project Linus - Pittsburgh Chapter 1 Review. From the section: Ways to Help. Be sure to look at the list of needed supplies before shipping. Most of these organizations are run by volunteers and sorting through donated supplies takes up super-valuable time so you’ll want to be sure the materials you give can be of use. I am a big fan of helping our younger generations and love donating to groups like this. If you know the fiber content of your fabric or yarn, please make note, as it will help us more quickly sort goods. Instead of throwing out all of those unused fat quarters or fibers, here’s where to donate craft supplies that you’re no longer using. Simply contact the facility you’re considering donating to and ask what supplies they’re in need of, and when/where the best time to make the drop might be. Questions? You might. Luckily, if you'd like to donate your crafting supplies, you have so many options!