In the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, WE Schools and WE Day provide comprehensive service-learning programs to over 18,000 schools, engaging 4.3 million young changemakers. “The timing of the turnover, the extent of the turnover to me is not material. "[17] Shortly afterward, Kielburger spoke at the convention of the Ontario Federation of Labour, where union representatives pledged $150,000 for a rehabilitation centre in India. Self-Inflicted wounds: Tories want police to investigate Trudeau’s WE Charity deal. [19] In 1999, he wrote Free the Children, a book detailing his trip to South Asia and the founding of his charity. WE Charity is a registered charity that focuses on international development projects and youth education programs such as WE Day events that attract thousands of youth and have featured Mr. Trudeau and his wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, as keynote speakers. A scandal arose when the charity was selected by the Canadian federal government in 2020 for a $43.53 million contract to oversee $900 million for the Canada Student Service Grant[6], but the decision was reversed after ties between the organization and the Trudeau family, as well as the family of former Finance Minister Bill Morneau, were called into question. [13], WE Charity (formerly Free the Children) was founded in 1995 by Craig Kielburger when he was 12 years old. “After much reflection and with great care and concern for all our stakeholders, we have made some important decisions to refocus on our mission, simplify our program offering, and undertake a series of governance and structural changes,” said a late Wednesday statement that was not attributed to a person but instead came from the organization as a whole. [56], Some former employees and volunteers of We Charity have criticized the way they were treated at the organization. The group said it would clarify its structure, move its North American educational programming to online only, and cancel its popular WE Day events for the “forseeable future.”, “International development is where we began, and it is where the need for our services is greatest,” the statement said. [52], Concerns have been raised about the blurred lines between We Charity and Me to We. This is true in the corporate and not for profit sectors. Individuals and organizations align themselves with charities which can be trusted, which can be understood, which demonstrate good governance and good management. There has not been much communication from the Board of Directors and what has been shared by the former chair of the Board was not positive. It states that ME to WE donates 50% of annual profits to the organization and retains the remaining 50% for self sustainability. All Rights Reserved. I'm a print subscriber, link to my account, cancelled amid conflict of interest accusations. [20], Free the Children initially fundraised for organizations that raided factories and freed children from forced labour situations.