News of her death prompted tributes from around the world, with celebrities flocking to praise her genius. My creativity is what defines me," she told the Daily Mail two years ago. “I think that’s great. Entries in the journal include claims that Victoria had become “fatter than ever and has more spots”.

Fellow comedian Caroline Aherne said Victoria had a “rare gift of making us laugh at the mundanities of life with a humour that was never cruel and only ever warm. “I suppose I didn’t think it was anyone’s business and I hated the idea that people might think that I was on this neurosis trail.”. Late on Tuesday, just hours before she died, she was still laughing and joking with her two children, Grace, 27, and Henry, 23, and other close family members. UK coronavirus hospital death toll rises by 263 in highest daily jump since June, Health authorities released the heartbreaking figure as the UK's Covid-19 death toll continues to rise, with data this morning showing a 45% rise in weekly deaths late last month, Takeaway pints 'loophole' spotted - drinkers could order by text, call or post, Pubs and bars in England are bracing to shut in the fresh coronavirus lockdown unless they can sell takeaway food and non-alcoholic drinks - but a booze 'loophole' has been spotted, Gym owner REFUSES to shut during new lockdown - saying he's 'not the problem', The owner of independent gym Gainz Bedford has argued that it should stay open because its facilities allow people to boost their immune system against the coronavirus, 'My ex dropped off the wrong baby, now I want to change our custody agreement', The mum took to Reddit to ask users whether she was overreacting for wanting to change the custody agreement she has in place for her ex after he mistakenly left her with the wrong baby, Donald Trump boasts "winning is easy, losing is never easy - not for me", In his only engagement of Election Day 2020, the US President made a number of outlandish claims including claiming America having had 'it's best year we ever had', Coronavirus-infected cough droplets can travel more then 6m - and still infect people, Scientists made the discovery while tracking the flight path of such particles hoping to get a better grasp on the spread of coronavirus.

It will offer an incredible, and unexpected, insight into the late star’s childhood. A great comic performer & writer whose talent broke through a male dominated scene.”. She then wrote, produced and starred in Dinner Ladies in 1998, a BBC sitcom about staff working in a fictional factory canteen in Manchester. And her friend and frequent collaborator Julie Walters said simply: “Too heartsore to comment. UK coronavirus hospital death toll rises by 263 in highest daily jump since June, Health authorities released the heartbreaking figure as the UK's Covid-19 death toll continues to rise, with data this morning showing a 45% rise in weekly deaths late last month, Takeaway pints 'loophole' spotted - drinkers could order by text, call or post, Pubs and bars in England are bracing to shut in the fresh coronavirus lockdown unless they can sell takeaway food and non-alcoholic drinks - but a booze 'loophole' has been spotted, Gym owner REFUSES to shut during new lockdown - saying he's 'not the problem', The owner of independent gym Gainz Bedford has argued that it should stay open because its facilities allow people to boost their immune system against the coronavirus, 'My ex dropped off the wrong baby, now I want to change our custody agreement', The mum took to Reddit to ask users whether she was overreacting for wanting to change the custody agreement she has in place for her ex after he mistakenly left her with the wrong baby, Donald Trump boasts "winning is easy, losing is never easy - not for me", In his only engagement of Election Day 2020, the US President made a number of outlandish claims including claiming America having had 'it's best year we ever had', Coronavirus-infected cough droplets can travel more then 6m - and still infect people, Scientists made the discovery while tracking the flight path of such particles hoping to get a better grasp on the spread of coronavirus. Speaking on Radio 4 ’s Desert Island Discs in 2007, Victoria revealed how unhappy she was at Bury Grammar School for Girls. Victoria, whose career spanned four decades, passed away on Wednesday following a six-month battle with cancer. No fanfare. "There will be an official Victoria Wood biography, which has Grace and Henry's blessing, published next year.".

After her early success Victoria was soon offered her own sketch show by Eckersley, with Victoria asking for equal billing for her and Julie, with Wood and Walters hitting screens.
The journalist and screenwriter Caitlin Moran recalled how seeing a woman on TV who was “working class, bookish, silly, clever, doing stand-up, singing, acting” inspired her to push forward in her own career. and supported Jasper Carrott on tour. Victoria left her £4 million home in north London to her children Grace, 28, and Henry, 24, a cottage in the Lake District and her photos and diaries, which she has requested are kept private.

Confirming her death on Wednesday, her publicist Neil Reading said: “Victoria Wood has sadly passed away after a short but brave battle with cancer. She married magician Geoffrey Durham in 1980. Never one to take time off in 2011 she turned her attention to the stage, writing and directing musical The Day We Sang for the Manchester International Festival. ‘Although there is a huge outpouring of grief from the world of comedy and show business, they wouldn’t want to turn this into something that might have made her uncomfortable,’ the source added. Julie Walters , a long-time collaborator and friend of Wood’s - who starred with her in Wood And Walters and Victoria Wood As Seen On TV - will front one of the episodes. My mother had no sense of humour, as she was always claiming, as if it was something to be proud of. Victoria Wood's brother to release a book detailing personal details of the late comic's upbringing ... Sean Connery's last photo shows James Bond icon smiling as he cuddles son Jason. No procession of celebrity mourners.
News of her passing prompted a deluge of tributes from fans and the world of showbusiness. Again written by the star, it followed the hardship of life for a wife and mother during the Second World War, married to a domineering husband. Speaking of her well-documented eating disorder and lifelong battle with food, she said: “I used to make my own food and ate on my own in my room. She will be greatly missed and our thoughts are with her friends and family.”.