I'm sure I've left some things out, so if you have specific questions, feel free to ask away! 1 Dedicated Gigabit WAN port (10/100/1000 Mbps). }. I'm using an ATT router in bypass for internet. If you want the control and advanced features of EdgeRouters but have a limited budget, ER-Lite is a good choice. Disconnect all, but connect one accesspoint directly to ER (UniFi Flex HD (2G/1, 5G/42 (44+1)), block all other client connections, then my laptop generates 274 down / 487 up. The router definitely has more features. I appreciate they are two product lines but it doesn’t mean they can’t acknowledge the existence of each other! There are many different EdgeRouters that support Power over Ethernet (PoE). I want a safe network, but not 70% of the capacity I paid for being limited by some setting I missed. EdgeRouter vs USG. :), edit : I currently run a USG-PRO-4, UAP-nanoHD, and 24 AT-250 (beta of the US-24-250w). However, keep in mind that the controller management software of USG offers only a subset of all the features actually supported by the device. Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Pro 4 is $185.60 more expensive than the average router ($137.93). Yeah, my plan is to us the unifi access points (probably just one or two for now). Think this is about what I should expect of the efficiency of the setup. In this blog post we will outline general comparisons of each device. Inability of it being managed under UniFi Controller or SDN.

The ER-Lite is exactly the same hardware as USG. I always try to make my reviews, articles and how-to's, unbiased, complete and based on my own expierence. Granularity of control since everything can be configured with the Web UI and CLI. The one thing it doesn’t offer is POE but the access points i use include power injectors (sku: uap-ac-hd-us) so that’s not an issue for me. So why I am such a fan of the EdgeRouter X? 2. I tried also some other scenario’s This version comes with 5 Ethernet ports that all support PoE (Power over Ethernet). As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This blog entails my own thoughts and ideas, which may not represent the thoughts of Cisco Systems Inc. Check this article, some tips might help with this issue. The performance differences between the USG and ER-X make it sensible for me to stay with the ER-X (I have dual WAN >100Mbps) but from a network visibility point of view it’s annoying to have two systems that don’t talk.

I have tried giving the static IP in lenovo – it doesnot let me save that… A couple of things to check: It's in the top 3 bestselling routers and has dozens of popular alternatives in the same price range, such as Asus ROG Rapture or Asus RT-AC56R . The Unifi USG cost around $120, an EdgeRouter X is around $50. I have done a couple of speed tests with the EdgeRouter X and the USG. EdgeRouter Lite Speed Test Results To make analyzing the data easier, I put all the speed test results into a publicly shared Google Sheet. For more information, please refer to the official community notice. So the question is, do you need those features? Required fields are marked *. And from a pure network perspective is the EdgeRouter a far better choice. But I don’t think you can fully compare a sg-3100 with an EdgeRouter X for example.

On the EdgeRouter, I have enabled SQM and have set it to 50Mbit/s down and 20Mbit/s up limit. In this article, I didn’t go too deep into the technical differences because if you want to do advanced networking stuff, you should just simply go for the EdgeRouter. But it is still weird the download speed is not higher when I use a wired connection. I understand that the security gateway and the router perform the same basic functionality but the former uses the “cloud key” while the latter has its own http interface. Thanks for the comparison.

in my house to take up part of the processing power somewhere in the router or is it more likely to be the throughput in my AP’s that limits this? © 2020 Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. If you're planning on getting other UniFi gear, the USG makes sense (it all is managed on the same controller, either the CloudKey or loading the software on any PC, Mac, Linux box, some NASes, or a Raspberry Pi).
Hi All, I've got a 1Gbit up/down fibre connection which is serving me well. Start by limiting down the choices by using the table below: There are other models available as well such as the ER-Lite, ERPoE-5, ERPro-8 and the ER-8. Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 is $41.70 more expensive than the average router ($137.93). Disconnect all, but connect one accesspoint directly to ER (UniFi AC-PRO (2G/1, 5G/42 (44+1)), block all other client connections, then my iPhone generates: 290 down / 460 up. NAT offload is not individually configurable.

2. In our awesomeness score Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 ranks #28 out of 250 and Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Pro 4 ranks #52 out of 250. The USG (UniFi Security Gateway) and EdgeRouter devices are two product lines that target a similar market – I would say the SOHO and SMB enterprise market (although there are higher-end models that can be used in larger corporate networks) – so these two product series are very often the subject of comparison among professionals and users. Managing an Unifi USG is really easy with the Unifi Controller. 3. So I’m contemplating stepping up from terrible consumer grade gear at home and getting into Ubiquiti.
To be clear, if you turn all the features (DPI, IPS, VPN, etc) off in the USG, then the USG is also capable of handling 1Gbit/s internet connections. For more information, please refer to For normal home use, you can set everything through the web interface of the EdgeRouter. With all AP’s connected, but all other clients blocked, when I then connect to the UniFi Pro, it generates 265/440, so slightly lower, but not that much. I have disconnected all connections on the Switch / EdgeRouter and have disabled all non-relevant vlan’s on the EdgeRouter. The EdgeRouter line does have some functionality exposed in its UI (QoS, for one) that doesn't (currently) exist in the UniFi Controller UI. Great for Medium to Large Enterprise networks or even Home networks with Gigabit ISP speed. So I tried to come up with scenarios when you should buy the USG, and to be honest, they are pretty hard to find. EdgeRouters that include a hardware switch-chip are able to place multiple physical ports in the same LAN, similar to how a network switch functions. Your email address will not be published. Are there any other differences to be aware of? If not, I would like to know your thoughts on the netgate sg-3100 spec’s and performance. It's in the top 3 bestselling routers and has dozens of popular alternatives in the same price range, such as MikroTik RB4011 or Netgear Nighthawk X8 . Overview. This way you can connect and power up your Unifi Access Points without the need of a Power Adapter (eliminating the need for extra power sockets and extra UTP cables). I'm looking for input on going with the USG Pro-4 or the EdgeRouter 4. I'm looking for input on going with the USG Pro-4 or the EdgeRouter 4. UniFi Video will reach end-of-life on December 31st, 2020.

You will have to ask yourself if one nice looking dashboard and management console is worth the extra $70. It’s still alot more relative to the $60 edgerouter, but for my clients an extra few hundred dollars is not a factor especially for a piece of hardware that will be used for five plus years. Supported with degradation in throughput *. This allows devices on the same network to communicate with each other through the EdgeRouter without sacrificing any performance. }. by francisco | Jan 8, 2019 | EduTech, Ubiquiti | 2 comments. In the USG you can enable IPS. If you just want a standalone router and plan on an AP from someone else, the EdgeRouter may be the way to go. However, interface bridging is done in software and this will affect the performance of the device. policy global I am having a peculiar problem with the USG. But even with Smart Queue Management turned on is the router still capable of handling internet connections up to 250Mbit/s with a minimum of 100Mbit/s. Their Edgerouter solutions seem to be faster than Mikrotiks solutions. If not, then don’t worry, the first run wizard will guide you through it nicely. With Ubiquiti on the rise, choosing between ER or USG is one of the bigger questions when decided which will be your router/gateway . The basic features such as multiple ips requested over 5 years ago UBNT hasn’t been implemented. I will try to get a Dream Machine so I can do a review about that one as well. Meaning that a lot of packages have to be re-sent, causing a higher latency (which you don’t want when you play games online or do a lot of video conferencing).