In terms of Australian bonsai we sometimes look over our fence (or ocean) and long for the material of Japan or the yamadori of America or Europe. Note: to use email address, substitute *** with @.

The reason I had been debating whether or not to make this change lay in the nebari.

Trident maple is a medium-sized tree that can be used as a street tree or specimen. This plant has some cultivated varieties. A couple of weekends ago I visited a friend on the outskirts of Melbourne to see how his ground grown stock had progressed this year. Acer Buergerianum (Trident Maple) Fusion Bonsai One week after assembling my first fusion bonsai I decided to start project 2. The bumps on the seedlings are where the wire attached them to the frame. Height and Spread of Acer BuergerianumTrident Maple will reach a maximum height of 7-12 metres and produce an oval-shaped canopy with plenty of light and space beneath. To complete the process it is as simple as cleaning up the stub from where the whip was once attached and sealing the wound. I often hear people saying they wish they had access to good stock and or that they cant find any stock worth purchasing. To kick off 2016 and start the blog off a fresh I thought a small photo essay of some grafting I did earlier this spring might be a good way to get things back into gear.

As the tree is now, ready for another years development. Picture one shows the tree as I received it.

Digging each year coupled with the excellent growing conditions in the grow beds results in good yearly top growth without roots getting too thick and creating faults. Tree Type This is a shade tree, featuring a spreading canopy capable of blocking sunlight. We want to fuse the seedlings not the frame. Junipers might be a little slower than some species but they do make very impressive small bonsai and are worthwhile to grow. When out of the ground, the most important cuts to the roots are in removing those that are downward growing and scarring the base of the trunk to further thicken the base; and with this stock, this has been done with great results.
You can just see the stub below the branch junction where the whip was cut once it had taken. The process is dead simple. The best chances we have at material even vaguely similar is digging from gardens.

Planning to do another frame as well as growing through a tile in order to swell the base and grow horizontal roots.

October 13, 2014 in Bonsai Maintenence | Tags: Acer buergerianum, Approach grafting, Australia Bonsai, Australian Bonsai, Trident Maple | 2 comments. You don’t immediately think of deciduous or leaf species when you imagine twisted bonsai but they also make convincing and interesting choices for this type of bonsai. Growing small-sized bonsai made this an easy proposition.

Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Approach grafting is a fairly straight forward technique.

Overlapping did not work out too well. The basic idea is that you cut a vertical channel in the trunk where you would like some new roots. Leaves are arranged in pairs (opposite); 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches long with three forward-pointing lobes giving a trident shape to the leaf. I used a rough version of approach grafting which I hope to explain below.

6.95: Available: 2161L: Trident maple - Acer buergerianum Young plug plant – Height of plant: 20/40 cm. I started one of these early this year (2011), and had pretty good fusing. It has a particularly slow-growing habit taking 10-20 years to reach its maximum height. Spring came about 3 weeks early and winter came about 3 weeks late. Incredible Maple Trees For Your Landscape. I had been tossing up whether or not to do this for some time before speaking to them but their advice made me decide to go ahead and try it. After the seedlings have established and put on some growth I got some movement into them. Has anyone else noticed this? Grown in Stoke-on-Trent The Maple Man WE ARE.

Hopefully this post inspires a few people to have a go themselves.

The trident maple is often used for bonsai but will grow up to 20 feet if placed in the landscape. How Hardy Is Acer BuergerianumTrident Maple is a tough little tree that can survive down to -25 degrees in a sheltered spot with well-drained roots. Acer capillipes. It can be used with a range of thin barked deciduous trees that show signs of fusing easily. this moved the root ball a little and raised the soil in the rear of the pot a bit. August 2, 2013 in Bonsai Shows, Nurseries and Events | Tags: Acer buergerianum, Australia Bonsai, Australian Bonsai, Bonsai technique, Ground Growing, Kaede, Trident Maple | 1 comment. You then insert a seedling into the channel and adjust it until the seedling’s roots are at the same level as the existing nebari. What is good about this technique is you can use very young whips as you do not need to expose the cambium layer. We are trying to avoid trunk chops.

Well as is often the case, life has been busy and the blog has suffered. It is a small, rounded, deciduous tree that typically grows rather slowly to 20-30’. Pretty simple so far. I am glad I did. So I cut through half the trunk with a small saw and then cleaned up this cut with a sharp knife and sealed it all with cut paste. This lead me to go down the path of approach grafting rather than risk cutting off branches and not get any buds pop. More e-mails, more apologizes. We do not seem to have this in our living collection. Neil pointed out a few of the colony forming species as the most suitable and easy to grow. Zones: 5-9 Trident Maple . One of the things I wanted to do this year was to set a first branch in an area where there was no branching. Maybe it’s that inconvenient truth called global warming. This spring I cut off all the large branches as the grafts were now strong enough to take over the sap flow.
It has been so warm this winter that Major League Baseball could have held spring training right here in Northern Virginia. I have also found that if you try to create styles at this stage you limit yourself somewhat. The trident maple grows to a height of 20–35' and a spread of 20–30' at maturity. One side will become the apex, the other will become the first branch. So where does this leave us? This is the tree fully assembled one week after first starting. I will definitely be keeping my eyes out for a few in the future. In this example I used map pins to secure the graft. I like the base so much that I have just realised that I don’t have a picture of the whole tree, just photos of the base!

I decided that because space in my garden was at a premium, I would grow small bonsai stock. I actually used some branch cutters to cut a small amount of wood from around the layer site to ensure I got all of the cambian layer. 5 minutes to do some root pruning and another 5 minutes to wire the trunk for shape and you have the foundations for something interesting that has the potential to turn into an excellent bonsai. Most of the dead seedlings I picked out came from the first batch of 100 seedlings I received. It had been brought into the country back in the 90’s when Australia’s border protection was much more flexible in regards to bringing bonsai in. What surprised me was that this was a guy living minutes away from a nursery that sold stock and trees I could only dream of here in Australia, yet with all this stock at his disposal he still was growing his own, excellent material. ( Log Out /  Change ).

A row of Trident Maples along a fence line provides summer shade and privacy with flaming autumn colours.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. View Map.

Trident maples are one of my favorite species to work on and I really enjoy having one as a project. For those not willing to spend 5 years working out the techniques and then a further 10 growing trunks luckily this grower also sells some of his stock. What I was hoping to achieve was similar to stock i had seen produced in Japan. It is illegal to collect them from the wild but luckily they are available from local growers if you can hunt them down. For a better breakdown of the general theory see these two posts. Your personal data will be used to support your experience throughout this website, to manage access to your account, and for other purposes described in our privacy policy. February 12, 2013 in Bonsai Techniques | Tags: Australia Bonsai, Australian Bonsai, Bonsai stock, Growing from seed, Japanese Black Pine, Trident Maple | 8 comments. Once this shoot is strong enough I will also cut off the old thick back branch above. From top level menus, use escape to exit the menu. Trident maple - Acer buergerianum Young plug plant – Height of plant: 20/40 cm. October 6, 2014 in Bonsai Maintenence, Pruning | Tags: Acer buergerianum, Approach grafting, Australia Bonsai, Australian Bonsai, Trident Maple | Leave a comment. Once the wire cuts in I will un-wire and depending on how the bends have set, I may re-wire again.

Things have been pretty busy since then with moving to a new city, starting a new job, renovating an old house and having a child all leaving me with very little time for bonsai related work. Our trees. I chose a seedling from a batch that showed good foliage characteristics. Because the assembly had taken a full week the first 100 seedlings went into shock with 2 dying completely and several dying half way up. To approach graft conifers you have to be fairly exact when lining up the cambium layers.

This way I will have the same foliage on the whole tree once I cut off the main trunk in a year or two.

Sometime trees do what you want.

There is some fusion but like the Dawn Redwood growth was slowed from being in a pot. Get expert help from The Morton Arboretum Plant Clinic. The tree looks good after assembly but on future projects I will let the seedling apex exit the trunk like branches and grow until fusion occurs before removing. There were a couple of gaps which I decided could be filled in with some approach grafts. I spotted this tree in a friends garden and loved the big gnarly base. I ordered 150 Trident Maple seedlings and began building my frame. When it was rotated this formed an angle which is a little strange although there are a few good results of this change. I find that the round surface of the pins heads does less damage to the growing and thickening whip than using square-headed pins or those with sharper edges. Now the method I am using is not as exacting as it could be.