"The King of Staten Island" is available On Demand beginning Friday. ", Apatow applauds how Davidson is so willing to "give you the unvarnished truth.". But then it became clear we should do something that hits a little closer to the bone.". The Empire State Express was bowling along at a rate of between fifty-five and sixty miles an hour. Eventually, Apatow suggested Davidson write something on his own life leading to "The King of Staten Island. Whatever, I have no control over it and I know it's not personal. Girls have come up to me and said that. Find out where Trainwreck is streaming, if Trainwreck is on Netflix, and get news and updates, on Decider. "This is the first time that he's really put himself out there and he's done it in a very artistic, vulnerable way. Apatow is constantly developing projects, mainly as a producer, but there are some that grab his attention to the point where he wants to direct them. And I filmed a pilot (editor's note: 2009's "Cupid" opposite Bobby Cannavale and Sarah Paulson) out there years ago. I was training as an actor at William Esper Studio while I was starting standup. It's loosely based on his own life suffering from borderline personality disorder and depression coping with the death of his dad, who was a firefighter and died on 9/11. But what would be the best way for the guy known for movies like "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" and "Knocked Up" to make a movie about such a serious topic? No, he's a great guy. The refreshingly down-to-earth A-lister recently took a break from jogging around the reservoir in Central Park to chat us up about being an outspoken advocate for women, her new Judd Apatow movie and her affection for Shaolin. But not on Davidson's life. I love Pete. Looking to watch Trainwreck? Just log on to your Verizon account and watch the latest shows online. Yeah, I enjoy both and can't imagine ever wanting to do only one. I started doing plays at 5 years old and I went to college for theater. If the 34-year-old standup comic and actress thinks it, she writes it -- resulting in boundary-bashing satire that appeals to men and women equally (Nielsen ratings track her show's demographic at a 50/50 split). It doesn't feel like a layer of myself I want to shed. You know, I grew up in New York, so every once in a while life's adventures would take you out to Staten Island. He owes me like five dinners (chuckles). I love the way (co-star) Bill Hader described it: You know how all those romantic comedies have the leads -- and then the best friends who are a mess? LeBron James has a part in the movie. Your basic guide to the US election: When is it? "There's always a point in the middle of the process where I have to assess if I'm the best person to be the director," Apatow said. He was ready to throw in the towel. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. For a few years, Judd Apatow was trying to write a story about sacrifice but wasn't getting anywhere. Yeah, any comic has a sad or dark side; I'm no exception. He has a scene in the movie and I used him in the promos for my show, too. I know more attention is being placed on my words, so I think I have to choose them a little more carefully. Apatow first met Davidson through Amy Schumer, which led to the then-unknown comic getting a small role in Apatow's "Trainwreck" and he and Apatow beginning to write a script together. When performers become famous, role model status gets thrust on them. Sound off in the comments section below. I definitely still say whatever I think. Cowritten along with Apatow and Dave Sirus, Davidson, 26, set the story in his hometown of Staten Island. Who will win? He was also building a fanbase for being very open in his comedy about his mental health and sobriety (his relationships with the likes of Ariana Grande, Kate Beckinsale, and Margaret Qualley also quickly made him a tabloid favourite, too). If so, what did you think? Amy Schumer on Staten Island: Standup gal talks Apatow's 'Trainwreck,' discovering Pete Davidson, racked up $30.2 million at the box office, speech about your college experience and self-esteem. People who are willing to take enormous risk to help other people.". Method Man is in it. I'm happy to have that. I'm always on tour -- but I will say I've really been enjoying the road lately. And he looks to be right, the movie has a strong above 70% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. "The world of firefighters is a world of sacrifice. Are you feeling that pressure at all? When someone gets more famous it really just amplifies who they already are. STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — It's pretty ironic that her hit show is titled "Inside Amy Schumer." I love getting to do that on my show; playing super straight. Gemma Atkinson reveals benefits of raising Mia around dogs – and talks mum-shaming, Where Biden, Trump stand in final presidential polls. We wanted to find a way to get to something that was both fictional and at the same time very true.". ", Like us on Facebook to see similar stories, Ivory Coast president wins third term after opposition boycotts ‘sham’ election, Why Christine Holgate should ‘do a McKew’ and take ScoMo on head first, Ricky Martin heading back to Puerto Rico to spend some time with sick dad, Greggs’ Christmas Menu Is Back With Its Pigs Under Blankets Baguette, Hull KR cancel their final fixtures and end Super League season early, Man with terrible burns waited 78 minutes for ambulance in Wales, How Biden and Trump differ on housing-finance reform, Uganda opposition presidential candidate Bobi Wine arrested - party, Thousands raised for kids left parentless after WA crash, Princess Diana's life is given the Oscar treatment in documentary, Inside Parchment Works, a modern country house that emerges from the ruins of the past, AFL star Brad Green opens up on his new relationship, Spanish police seize 1.2 tonnes of cocaine on ship busted for second time in two weeks, Brexit talks fail to agree on fisheries, two other issues, Italy imposes nationwide curfew and bans travel to hard-hit regions, Endless lockdown leaves local rugby clubs facing up to drastic action, Justin Bieber to perform at E! It's been fun playing theaters the last couple of years. You will definitely see that in the movie. "I got as close as you can get, I mean just testing the waters,"Davidson told CBS Sunday Morning. But whenever someone gets in trouble for saying something it seems really arbitrary. m_gallery_permalink = "http://photos.silive.com/4499/gallery/amy_schumer_on_staten_island_s/index.html"; Forty-three persons were injured, none critically, and 100 others were thrown into a panic yesterday when a two-car electric train crashed into the rear of a one-car train that had stopped suddenly a few feet east of Clinton Street, Stapleton, S.I. "I never want to direct anything where I'm not a very positive, helpful part of the production.". 's new pride and joy, "Saturday Night Live" star Pete Davidson, end up in your movie? Apatow isn't sure if "The King of Staten Island" is any different than his other movies. Audiences are digging it. This is what finally led to him deciding to direct the movie. "The King of Staten Island" (On Demand starting Friday) has all the hallmarks of a Judd Apatow movie. But that's not how things started out when he met Davidson. The cast is crazy and good: Hader, Tilda Swinton, Vanessa Bayer, Brie Larson -- and the cameos are more than cameos. That's the most accurate way I've heard to describe it. "That word kept popping into my head," Apatow told Insider over the phone from his home in Los Angeles on what was driving him. Then he says he met comic Pete Davidson. The film hit theaters nationwide this week. "The more Pete and I talked the more I felt, "This is it," Apatow said. © 2020 Advance Local Media LLC. A mass of distorted iron and steel, mixed with splintered freight cars, whose contents were strewn along the tracks, and the charred remains of several of the cars which caught fire, mark the scene of the wreck. My standup has evolved away from just saying things for shock value. Apatow and Davidson also began talking more about doing a project together. It's certainly happened to me. Marisa Tomei and Pete Davidson in 'The King of Staten Island. Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. And it's the contribution by Davidson that brought it. Subscribers may view the full text of this article in its original form through TimesMachine. I told Bill Hader, "You have to see this kid, he's so funny!"