We'll show you the top 10 most popular house styles, including Cape Cod, country French, Colonial, Victorian, Tudor, Craftsman, cottage, Mediterranean, ranch, and contemporary. I decided to post this in case allexperts.com should remove Douglas Allen’s post. Many gardeners STILL think that earwigs are responsible for the damages… but nope. I thought someone was harassing me last year. Please understand that I have experience with these companies. Check with your wildlife agency or Cooperative Extension office regarding laws governing the taking of fur-bearing and game animals. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "trishparr-20"; I have been baffeled as to what has eaten my impatients this year. Hi mar, some local vendors are calling it a blight, but I still believe it is the work of opossums, as I explained to Pen yesterday (comment above). I am going to try something tomorrow. could spiders be to blame? Chipmunks commonly store their food in one place and are delighted when they happen across a squirrel stash or your bulbs. I won't be. We do live in the country and I suspected deer, but after reading this, I'm thinking opossums! Q: I have impatiens planted in a half-barrel. Ooooh well, you and I can be thankful for them as they will keep our lawns free from those nasty ticks. Sure, our summer has been dry and lacking in lots of rain (which impatiens prefer) but, you said you watered yours every day? I'd plant them again, and the squirrels would dig them up the next day. I too was told it was rabbits LAST year, but I knew better. I thought it might be to over watering or my MOLE issue but since we have see the quatra-fecta (opossum, raccoon, skunk and groundhog) all in a night, I too am sure its the opossum! Asked June 17, 2020, 11:04 AM EDT. Think you'll find that the opossum are responsible for the wilting look to your impatiens. Believe me, opossums are here in southern Ontario. It's pure and simple: Oshawa has been invaded by the opossum and NO newspaper wants to cover this story. Visit the Wildlife Damage Inspection Decision Tree for more assistance in identifying the culprit.I hope this is helpful. The 10 Most Popular House Styles Explained, Call Your Stylist: These Hair Colors Will Be Everywhere This Spring, 7 Small But Impactful Ways to Fit Self-Care Into Your Day Right Now, 50 Names That Are Perfect for Black and White Cats. Credit: By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. How horrible that made me feel when it happened to me. You can also modify your plant choices when you know which species they don't like. That cayenne idea ..Doesn’t work.!! Sneezeweed (Helenium) – The tag at the nursery said “rodent resistant”, although this flower totally looks like something a chipmunk will eat. Our Halloween cupcake recipes and decorating ideas for monsters, black cats, witches, and ghosts, and more are all magical to make and decorate, whether you decorate store-bought or homemade cupcakes. Deter and repel chipmunks to protect your … And, now with our summers being so much warmer, as is most winters, and southern Ontario has become prime real estate for the opossum. I have 3 window boxes filled with pink impatients. Pansies/Violas – Another favorite. One was spotted at 1:30PM on the first of June. Ahuh! You can consider fencing the area but it's getting late in the season, and if the culprits are deer you need a good 8 feet or more.Here is an answer to a similar question from one of our experts:You have been introduced to the first law of dealing with wildlife: repellents are not fences. Use this handy guide to identify these weeds by appearance and know how to remove them safely. They are frustrating! If you’d like to read about other’s experiences with opossums, please, read this: The Straight Dope forum. One was a poppy and the other was a red salvia. A friend had planted the beds for me as a favor and I actually called her up to ask her if she was mad at me and had removed the plants! Ask an Expert is made up of groups and individual experts. amzn_assoc_default_category = "SportingGoods"; Thanks so much for this – my impatiens have disappeared over the past 3 weeks and I thought it was bunnies too! They eat the seedlings, bite taller plants off at ground level, and if you do manage to get one to flower, it’s a matter of time before they (or a squirrel) make off with the flower head. If it makes you feel any better (though it wouldn't me), many professional gardeners are warning us NOT to plant impatiens this year due to a blight …though my money is STILL on the opossum eating them. You might want to visit this site to see why repellents don't always work: Why Repellents Fail If a rabbit or woodchuck is eating the plants, you can use a cage or box trap and relocate the animal. …though it did eat off the tops of white daisies that had already gone to seed. Now I have the trees covered with bird netting--hoping that will keep them away.Very frustrating~~I'm going to try the hot red pepper around my remaining tomato plants. Something has eaten almost all of my impatients. Do opossums climb trees and/or wooden fences? Impatiens – Problems. If you choose not to relocate the animal, it must be disposed of in a humane way. A. Bend the wire away from the garden at a 90-degree angle. Tack down the wire and cover it with a thin layer of mulch to hide it. Happened to me also. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; js.src = "//forms.aweber.com/form/69/1878417469.js"; Here's how to outsmart them. Going to check for Shake-away at the local nursery tomorrow! © Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. 3-foot chicken wire or wire mesh fence, with 1-inch holes. How to Prevent Rabbits from Eating Impatiens. So I have a similar situation except that it is only happening to my plants that are not close more out in the open. Reason being, impatiens were all but lost before we got to use the camera. These tips will help you make time for self-care for a mental health boost every day. js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; All other ideas do NOT work. they go from clump of flowers to next i tried soapy warter spray then house hold raid and puting out dishes of soapy water nothing has helped so far, have seen a few earwigs but not many around andnone in the soapy dishes there are lots of spiders this year 2013 HELP!! Time will tell. – Mary. Doug Stremel, Credit: Remind me again…. Chipmunks can be fun to observe unless they are causing destruction to your flowers. For the perfect late-season bloomer, you can't go wrong with chrysanthemums! What animals will eat impatiens, and how do I prevent this from happening? We've even got a resident coyote in Centennial Park on Ritson Road North in Oshawa now. More impatiens were eaten than on previously nightly visits. As long as you aren't bothered by the smell, mothballs are a very effective deterrent at keeping them out of particular areas. That way, future visitors here can view it too. Sadly, no more impatiens in our garden. Capturing and relocating them wouldn’t work in the long-term. You may, or may not, find tracks the next day. hmmmm. As exasperating as squirrels and chipmunks can be, there are a several things we can do to coexist on more friendly terms. For example, squirrels and chipmunks do not like the smell or taste of daffodils. Was this answer useful? So far, I've only located one Canadian source for Shake-Away and that is http://www.birdxcanada.com/shake_away/shake_away_… but if you can wait until next summer… and if you live close enough to Oshawa… I printed off lots of info on Shake-Away and handed it all off to Kingsway Greenhouses employees in hope that they'll have the product available for the summer of 2013. Sure hope those scamps don't like begonias… time will tell. Are the stem neatly clipped off or are they more ragged? Seal off any spots under stairs or storage areas. okay. I learned about this firsthand one summer evening when the little devils harvested my nice, ripe tomatoes. deer have been eating our impatiens baskets , and found a spray that will repel them. My squirrels won’t leave my bird food alone! if (d.getElementById(id)) return; – They love snacking on daisies. The only product I've found so far (but, I have yet to test it) is Shake-Away. These products contain ingredients that are not harmful to your family or other backyard wildlife. Hard to believe. I've not heard of chipmunks eating impatiens flowers but deer do! Well Chris, I haven’t heard of anyone’s mums being eaten by these critters, so I would assume they’re a safe choice. of the impatiens being detected via the wind… maybe? Some thrips are actually beneficial to plants, eating other pests. It does not matter if they are in the ground, in hanging baskets or in pots. The smaller roses had their leaves and blossoms both turn brown. Feeding wildlife was not my idea when planting my garden last summer. the babies are tiny, I would never be able to cause pain and suffering. To answer your question, here is a local newspaper’s story on this topic. On the third night the critter returned and ate with a vengeance! chipmunks eating plants & flowers. Peter Krumhardt, Credit: sign up for our FREE Nature Magick e-mail newsletter. What do chipmunks eat? For two years now, impatiens have disappeared in the very same way you and others described. Now she too knows. Others, though, feast on the impatiens, sucking down plant matter from puncture wounds the thrips inflict. Believe it or not, all fox urine isn't the same. They have begun falling over, just like they were bitten at ground level. It sound to me like you have either cutworms in the soil or, more likely, a soil dwelling fungus. The left side has two miniature japanese maples with impatiends in front and partially under. I spent far too much money on impatiens back in May and June 2011. Ruth Bradley says. Well good Mary, glad this post helped save you the frustration I went through in discovering the problem. Where have you hung your baskets that the deer are getting at them? A: Squirrels or chipmunks are not the likely culprits. I have impatiens planted along a front flowerbed. If the plants are beaten down by rain or wind, the stem may crack where it comes out of the ground. Looks like trapping them will be the only solution at this point. My theory is that they show up better at night. and Hillcroft St., so they're here to stay! I too had no idea, especially just planted them 3 weeks ago and now they are gone. You’ll find them the next morning wilting in the sun, missing, bitten in half or destroyed under dirt or mulch. Interesting to read after our discussion on Saturday. Here's how to properly wash clothes by hand, which will give extra life to those special items in your clothes closet. Next year… NO IMPATIENS in my garden :-(… I’m fed up with opossum damages. The rocks in my garden are so big they would need a gorilla to turn them over. Know exactly what you mean about feeling like you’re a scientist… and, ya’ kinda’ are. Personally, I have taken to planting far more perennials than annuals yearly… and I've traded impatiens for petunia wave.