And his memory, expressly his ability to recall the most obscure details from years ago, is uncanny. This is Me - Control Profile. ", Sure enough, one fan asked if Spurrier could help him with his game-day parking, and Spurrier cocked his head and said, "Well, that's not in my duties as ambassador, but I'll see what I can do.". The truth is that he knows the exact number as well as he knows his wedding date. Spurrier Back Where He Belongs, By Scott Carter GAINESVILLE, Fla.— Former Florida quarterback and head coach Steve Spurrier has been named Ambassador for the Florida Gators Athletic Department, Jeremy Foley announced on Friday. And speaking of Alabama, Spurrier joked that he told Nick Saban recently that he better not coach too much longer because he's bound to have a three-loss season at some point. Florida has been searching for an athletic director to replace Jeremy Foley, who's scheduled to step down in October. Spurrier had come out of semi-coaching retirement to lead the Orlando Apollos of the short-lived Alliance of American Football before the league folded in midseason. ", Spurrier, the unquestioned king of the one-liner, shot back: "That's because you would have told.". Spurrier's wife of 50 years, Jerri, said. After two hours of signing books, it was difficult to tell whether the fans were happier to have Spurrier back or if he was happier to be back. This was his day, the day he was officially welcomed back to Florida -- as Head Gator Ambassador -- and he and his family soaked in every bit of it, starting with a two-hour autograph session at the UF Bookstore to promote his new autobiography "Head Ball Coach: My Life in Football" and ending with one stroll after another down memory lane as Florida Field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium became Steve Spurrier-Florida Field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Copyright 2019 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved. Except for Steve Spurrier Jr., who's a member of Oklahoma's staff and couldn't be there, everybody else was there to share in the celebration, including daughters Amy Moody and Lisa King and youngest son Scotty Spurrier. Edit Profile. "Come on, Jerri, let's go," he bellowed as he stood up and stretched. It is the University of Florida's football team’s home and is located on its Gainesville, Florida. It was time to go. Steve Spurrier will hold a press conference at noon Monday in Gainesville to announce that he’s seeking a teammate to “operate his new American casual dining restaurant concept.” One of the neatest things about Spurrier is that he treats and talks to people like he's known them his whole life. The stadium is also popularly known as "The Swamp". Gainesville. I was done. "What's going on, my man," he tells the guy running the elevator in the press box and gives him a fist bump. "We beat them 20-19, helluva game. Steve Spurrier is a living legend in the world of football. They recounted memorable Florida wins with him, several reminding him that he never lost to Peyton Manning, and one man told him he thought Spurrier's most impressive accomplishment was standing up for the 1990 team, which had the best SEC record that year, but was ineligible to win the SEC championship because of NCAA issues. Spurrier’s Gridiron Grille, located in Celebration Pointe, serves elevated versions of iconic American fare. They didn't get credit for it, but they did from me," Spurrier said of his first Florida team. Steve Spurrier will hold a press conference at noon Monday in Gainesville to announce that he’s seeking a teammate to “operate his new American casual dining restaurant concept.”To my eternal dismay, I have been assured that it will not be a hot dog restaurant called Fun N Bun. "They're the ones who started it all.". Spurrier’s Gridiron Grille, located in Celebration Pointe, serves elevated versions of iconic American fare. I can already hear it, people saying that he's lost it, but he sure does have that thing rolling.". He didn't tell me he was going to do that. Bates and Wuerffel had talked, and Spurrier asked Wuerffel if he improvised any during Wuerffel's guest appearance as Mr. Two Bits. 24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events. Matt Torrey came from Chatham, New York and would have stood in line for two more hours just to spend a few seconds with Spurrier. In addition to two indoor-outdoor bars, Spurrier’s Gridiron Grille will also have one of Gainesville’s only rooftop bars. "But I held it together," he said. — -- GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Steve Spurrier propped himself against a drink crate in one of the north tunnels of the stadium that he so famously dubbed "The Swamp" more than two decades ago. The Head Ball Coach is back home. But he did, and I've been a fan ever since.". ". "You're trying to tell me that I talk too much?" As well as a few desserts inspired by recipes Jerri Spurrier, Steve’s wife, used to prepare for Gator football players. "Why can LSU not get it right on offense? "I was a Syracuse fan and a little bit Notre Dame living up there, but still remember him kicking that field goal to beat Auburn," Torrey said. Buddy Martin, who co-authored the book with Spurrier, was there helping to direct traffic and said he'd never seen Spurrier, admittedly not a huge autograph guy, so giddy to sign for so many people. They all had a different story to tell the Head Ball Coach when they got up to the table, many of them defining time with their first memory of Spurrier and the Gators. Speronis was wearing the same white coaching shirt he wore in 1996 for the Sugar Bowl national championship win over Florida State. The Swamp is no joke to visiting teams. Stephen Orr Spurrier (born April 20, 1945) is a former American football player and coach often referred to by his nickname, the "Head Ball Coach". And if you throw in a freshman game against Georgia in 1962 and a flag football game (yes, a flag football game) against the Tau Epsilon Phi fraternity on campus a few years after Spurrier had been out of school, he won 83 games. "I had too much talking to do.". One man asked Spurrier if he would be willing to take the job. Criminal or Civil Court records found on Steve's Family, Friends, Neighbors, or Classmates View Details. Cody and Chelsea Fowler came from Mobile, Alabama. And it turns out that he still has a few moves, too. I didn't know where I was going or what I was going to do. Court Records found View. When Doug Dickey brought me back here to coach quarterbacks (in 1978), we got fired after one year. "After all the grief I gave Tennessee about going to the Citrus Bowl all those years, and we went that year," Spurrier said with a sheepish smile. "Nothing would have happened in my coaching or playing career without Jerri," Spurrier said. He's simply "Orr," which happens to be his middle name. "They won the SEC. This is where he belongs.". "It was hard seeing the greatest Gator of them all not be a Gator," said Danny Wuerffel, Florida's Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback in 1996 and one of Spurrier's favorite players ever. Photos | Summary | Follow. Chelsea is 19 weeks pregnant, and the couple stood in line for Spurrier to sign a book to Caden, the name of their unborn baby boy. "I figured we'd see a little freelancing," said Bates, who does a spot-on Spurrier impersonation. Be the first to know about grand opening celebrations, exclusive sales, and insider events! Too many germs out there, so he's been more of a fist bump guy now going all the way back to his days as the Gators' head coach.