This command gets the average of age But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. > Instead, you have to use first, last, firstnm, or lastnm (which is fine if the string variable is constant within the group and problematic otherwise). As was mentioned very In this situation I will use the population variable. > duplicates drop id, force This is a fast option to Stata's collapse, with several additions.

To Preserve To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Kevin McConeghy You would like to extract some simple information but you can’t quite figure out how to do it. > message. > 1 A B How you do that will depend on whether your year and month variables are numeric or string, so, again, without example data, specific advice cannot be given. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies.

These cookies do not store any personal information. Does this use of the perfect actually express something about the future? > an error message.

Subject

Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. wrote:

st: RE: String Variable in Collapse Command.

summary statistics. What if I wanted to see some trend information, such as the total population and jobs per decade for all of Alabama? * > when i am using the string variable in collapse command .

x x > > I want to collapse the data so I have a single record: > > individual_id potassium sodium hdl cholesterol > 00001 x x x x > > This is fine with "typical" records, as above.

Or is any solution that facilitates using collapse the same?

* http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search Tagged With: collapse, graph, preserve, Stata.

> collapse (sum) _*, by(id) You can use destring random,replace and then the following works: But collapse (firstnm) name (count) random, by(mark) still generates mismatch error. David Radwin, Senior Research Associate This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Re: st: String Variable in Collapse Command. Date

How is this site forcing page reloads with JavaScript disabled? Jeff Meyer is a statistical consultant with The Analysis Factor, a stats mentor for Statistically Speaking membership, and a workshop instructor. One method of converting numbers stored as strings into numerical variables is to use a string function called real that translates numeric values stored as strings into numeric values Stata can recognize as such. b 2 4 > I was trying figure out how this merge example works from a previous > Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 12:44 PM

You would like to extract some simple information but you can’t quite figure out how to do it.

Collapse allows you to convert your current data set to a much smaller data set of means, medians, maximums, minimums, count or percentiles (your choice of which percentile). * http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/resources/statalist-faq/ https://bbs.pinggu.org/forum.php?mod...=1#pid58387315, You are not logged in.

Is it a good idea to shove your arm down a werewolf's throat if you only want to incapacitate them? Notice: On April 23, 2014, Statalist moved from an email list to a forum, based at statalist.org.  

statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu From Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. It isn't necessarily the case that the string variable is destringable. The sum of sexdum2 is the number of boys in the family. RTI International But my collapses fail with type mismatch errors. It isn't immediately obvious whether logic suggests that (min) and (max) should be applicable to strings--they do have an ordering, but we don't typically think about them that way. We can list out the data to confirm that it worked correctly.

If I collapse (mean) I get decimals. x x > > I want to collapse the data so I have a single record: > > individual_id potassium sodium hdl cholesterol > 00001 x x x x > > This is fine with "typical" records, as above. To create one record per family (famid) with the average of age within each family. > To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu "Radwin, David" Thanks for detailed explanation! by(famid) option, The above collapse command was not very useful, but you can combine it with the David By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. By starting my code with the preserve command it brings my data set back to its original state after providing me with the results I want.

Required fields are marked *, Data Analysis with SPSS

free Stata webinar on Wednesday, July 29th, Stata Loops and Macros for Large Data Sets: Quickly Finding Needles in the Hay Stack, Tricks for Using Word to Make Statistical Syntax Easier, Using the Same Sample for Different Models in Stata, Using Stored Calculations in Stata to Center Predictors: an Example, https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/stata/faq/how-can-i-make-a-bar-graph-with-error-bars/, Getting Started with R (and Why You Might Want to), November Member Training: Preparing to Use (and Interpret) a Linear Regression Model, Introduction to R: A Step-by-Step Approach to the Fundamentals (Jan 2021), Analyzing Count Data: Poisson, Negative Binomial, and Other Essential Models (Jan 2021), Effect Size Statistics, Power, and Sample Size Calculations, Principal Component Analysis and Factor Analysis, Survival Analysis and Event History Analysis.

Hello

> 1 1 A

Is there a name for paths that follow gridlines?

Next we want to create a dataset containing the mean of gpa and hour for each year.

> 1 2 B I used the preserve command and my data is still intact, but I can’t seem to run code on other variables after collapsing. boys which is the number of boys in the family. Adding 50amp box directly beside electrical panel. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent.

Here is a simple example where string1 is constant within num1 : input str1 string1 num1 num2 a 1 5 a 1 3 a 1 9 b 2 0 b 2 4 b 2 3 c 3 1 …

boy dummy variable is the number of boys and the sum of the girl dummy variable is the number of girls. > -----Original Message----- Five time periods by 67 counties give me a total of 335 observations. We can request averages for more than one variable. Thu, 9 Jan 2014 16:24:04 -0500

Department of Statistics Consulting Center, Department of Biomathematics Consulting Clinic. * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/, http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/resources/statalist-faq/. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. input str1 string1 num1 num2

Edit: I should have generated better data. Collapsing your data means to combine several cases into single lines.

Here are some similar data.

This is much liking creating statistics for groups of cases, but by collapsing your data a new data set is created that contains these statistics and can be put to further use. Have you ever worked with a data set that had so many observations and/or variables that you couldn’t see the forest for the trees?

>

collapse (p25) gpa [fw=number], by(year) We used frequency weights.

What prevents dragons from destroying or ruling Middle-earth?

Collapse allows you to convert your current data set to a much smaller data set of means, medians, maximums, minimums, count or percentiles (your choice of which percentile). Consider the collapse command below.

Date We will create a dummy variable that is 1 if the kid is a boy (0 if not), and a dummy variable that is 1 if the kid is a girl (and 0 if not).

Get to know Stata’s collapse command–it’s your new friend. -- We can look at the dummy variables. Here is a link to an example using a bar graph. Dear Clyde, Thanks so much. You have to determine which variable to use. > > It seems that the following works, but would also be a lot more time-consuming for my data. birth).