They met in Wichita as war broke out in Europe, then eloped, according to the 2004 re-release of Obama's 1996 autobiography, "Dreams from My Father." Cooley is trying to compile a more detailed history of the family, but large chunks are missing. After two years of military service in Europe (1943–1945), Dunham was discharged from the U.S. Army on August 30, 1945. [16][17], In Barack Obama's memoir, Dreams From My Father, he mentions, "One of my earliest memories is of sitting on my grandfather's shoulders as the astronauts from one of the Apollo missions arrived at Hickam Air Force Base after a successful splashdown." [6] Through another common ancestor, Hans Gutknecht, a Swiss German from Bischwiller, Alsace whose three sons resettled in Germantown, Pennsylvania as well as the Kentucky frontier in the mid-1700s, Stanley Dunham is President Harry S. Truman's fourth cousin, twice removed.[28][29][30]. He and his wife Madelyn Lee Payne Dunham raised Obama from the age of 10 in Honolulu, Hawaii. "From what I understand of Stanley, he was really quiet," Cooley said. His widow Madelyn took care of her daughter in Hawaii in the months before Ann died in 1995 at age 52. [4] His parents were married on October 3, 1915, at a home on South Saint Francis St. in Wichita, and opened The Travelers' Cafe on William Street situated between the old firehouse and the old Wichita City Hotel, On November 25, 1926, at age 8, Dunham discovered his mother's body after she had committed suicide. Stanley Dunham joined the Army after Pearl Harbor was bombed, and Madelyn Dunham went to work at Boeing. Madelyn Dunham was vice president of a bank there and still lives in Hawaii. Obama writes in his memoir, Dreams From My Father, "I’d arrived at an unspoken pact with my grandparents: I could live with them and they'd leave me alone so long as I kept my trouble out of sight. Dunham's heritage consists of English and Irish and other European ancestors who settled in the American colonies during the 17th and 18th centuries. The family is found living with Ruth's parents in the 1920 federal census of Sedgwick County, Kansas. [19], Stanley Dunham's distant cousins include six U.S. presidents - and another president who is Dunham's grandson: James Madison, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, Jimmy Carter, George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, plus Barack Obama, his grandson. She remembered her cousin's family, like her own, emphasized education. Their daughter Stanley Ann, Obama's mother, was born at Fort Leavenworth. Stanley Dunham took the family to Seattle and sold furniture, then went to Hawaii, where he later retired. [10][11], After two years of military service in Europe (1943–1945), Dunham was discharged from the U.S. Army on August 30, 1945. [10] Madelyn gave birth to a daughter they named Stanley Ann, who was later known as Ann, at Fort Leavenworth on November 29, 1942. Stanley Armour Dunham (March 23, 1918 – February 8, 1992) was the maternal grandfather of the 44th U.S. President Barack Obama. The family moved to Hawaii where she met her first husband, Barack Obama Snr, at university. Obama's mother died of cancer in 1995. His father's ancestors settled in Kempton, Indiana in the 1840s, before relocating to Kansas. In 1956 they moved to the Shorewood Apartments on Mercer Island, a Seattle suburb, where they lived until 1960 and where their daughter Ann attended Mercer Island High School. During D-Day, this unit helped to support the 9th Air Force. In 1930, following the death of their mother Ruth, Ralph Jr. and Stanley are living with their maternal grandparents in Butler County, Kansas, while their father, Ralph Sr. was enumerated with his parents in Sedgwick County, Kansas. In 1957 Stanley began working for the Doces Majestic Furniture Company. Kerns, 90, attended high school with Stanley Dunham and said he was a nice guy, a "run of-the-mill" kid who didn't participate in sports or join clubs. ), Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas, United States, Honolulu, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States, National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific,Honolulu, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States, National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, Descendants of Mareen Duvall of Middle Plantation, Conklin/Constable/Waugerman/Boggess Web Site.

They came to Wichita to shop and attend dances at the Blue Moon on South Oliver, where the big bands of Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman and others played.