The snakes are primarily shy and non-aggressive species. They are also crepuscular which means they are most active in the twilight hours. When the ringneck snakes feel threatened, they curl up their tails, exhibiting the bright reddish-orange posterior ventral surface. They are very shy reptiles. I asked her to report on her first feeding attempts. I might be wrong there; I’ll check again when I look into the different subspecies in a future entry. Then I had to incubate the entire cinder block. Whether or not a ringneck snake, or any species for that matter, would make a good pet depends on what you would consider a good pet to be. Water snakes routinely get it when they’re kept, erroneously, in an aquatic setup. A covered water dish and stone bisect the two zones. The belly of the ring-necked is either yellow or orange, often with a row of black spots running down its center. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. The snake injects their venom through the teeth found in their upper jaws. Obviously, a pet snake does not offer the same loyalty and obedience that a dog does. The pet trade is not kind to delicate species, and my experience leads me to recommend against keeping Diadophis in captivity unless you’ve got a good reason to do so, and know what you’re doing. They are non aggressive and have tiny, rear-facing fangs that do not pose any threat to humans even when they handle the small reptile. They prefer to avoid conflict and will burrow and hide in their terrarium for much of the time. Ringneck snakes are not classified as poisonous, but recent studies have found that their saliva contains a mild toxin. Southern ringnecks are smaller and have dark half-moon markings along their ventral scales; northern ringnecks’ bellies are patternless. These snakes do not tend to bite, but even if they wish to, they cannot open their mouths wide enough to inflict a bite on a human with their tiny fangs. There are 14 recognized subspecies of the ringneck snake which include: While these snakes are elusive and shy, in the wild they can live in snake colonies of up to 100 other snakes. Their heads are the same size as the rest of their bodies which are covered with smooth scales. Generally, ringneck snakes will take to crickets and other sorts of insects. They are not aggressive, they don’t eat mammals, and don’t require a lot of space. “Be right there.” I trudged over, preparing myself to see a garter snake with its head several feet removed only to tell the shovel operator it was in fact not a cobra-conda trying to bite him in the gnarblies, but a harmless woodland friend now dead. In any event, here are the entries I made back in June 2003. (Of course they’re wild caught. The container should be covered with wire mesh to prevent the snake from getting loose. Several communities of about six or more have been studied to be sharing one single microhabitat. This is why heavy objects that can easily topple over should not be put in their containers as it can cause them injury or even kill them. However, they are terrestrial creatures and usually avoid direct contact with water. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. As a result, I never expected to find myself in the situation I’m in now: with two ringnecks housed atop our dresser, and another two housed chez Florence. Ringnecks like to hide, so providing plenty of objects for this purpose will make it happy. While their saliva does contain venom, it is in a very small amount and it is completely harmless to humans and pets. But it should be okay for the next few weeks, until I can free up a better cage. Matt at Animalia assured us that they were eating earthworm pieces, which is exactly what I would have expected them to eat. When attacking their prey the ringneck snake will grip it with their fangs and then wrap themselves around it. It’s copyright © 1992-2020 Jonathan Crowe; some rights are reserved under a Creative Commons Licence. See what I mean about the docents being wonderful people? The Ringneck Snake is a species of small North American snakes that belong to the harmless colubrid family. They may even eat the baby snakes of other species if the opportunity presents itself. After deposition in some moist location, the eggs are kept covered in the wild. The IUCN 3.1 has enlisted the ringneck snake under their ‘LC’ (Least Concern) category. When I was a kid, I kept a Red-sided Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis) in a poorly ventilated cage, and he got it, too. They don’t do it for pay or recognition or even to pad their resume, but just for the joy of helping. moist at all times. Some had scars along their bodies, which is inevitable with small wild-caught snakes — Rough Green Snakes (Opheodrys aestivus) have them all the time, for example. They aren’t free to roam your home or property like cats. The length will vary depending on what subspecies the snake belongs to. They prefer an escape route to outright conflict and seldom bite humans. Spraying the terrarium daily with a water bottle is ideal. novice herper as they can be finicky eaters and the accommodations for keeping I put that tidbit of information together with the following facts about ringnecks: So here we had slightly venomous snakes with cannibalistic tendencies crowded in one cage. If you enjoy his writing, his first kid’s novel, Stupid Alabama, was published by Ardent Writer Press and he desperately wants you to buy it. But offering them the right food is one thing; offering it in the right way is another. I explained that they only go to the left due to having a bent tongue instead of forked. The ringneck snake much prefers to flee instead of fight and they are experts at hiding, which is why they are so rarely seen in the wild. The ringneck will burrow into the soil and cover itself to hide. The block fit perfectly in the bottom. Do we stimulate their appetite through tease-feeding, or do we give them as much privacy as possible? Some of them were so wrong I just wanted to see what I could get away with. It prefers to spend its day hiding bowl with a diameter of 3 inches and a depth of 1 inch is recommended. I’ve been called much worse. They may even curl around your finger but will probably try to keep moving. link to When Does Instacart Pay Me? Whether they were feeding, and their overall condition, would be the deciding factor. Ringneck snakes are beautiful reptiles who are perfectly happy in smaller enclosures. Ring-necked snake, (Diadophis punctatus), small terrestrial snake (family Colubridae), found widely in North America, that sports a ring or collar of contrasting colour around its neck or nape.The ring is most frequently white to yellow on an otherwise uniform background of brown, gray, or black. Frogs, small salamanders, slugs, lizards, earthworms, and the young offspring of other snake species make their primary diet list. Every one of the nine eggs hatched. The room stayed a fairly constant temperature so the ring-cubator (trademark now, explanation later) worked well. If you have your heart set on a cold-blooded pet and are considering a ringneck snake, there are some things you should know about them. Ringnecks in the wild will only use brumation during the winter months and only in areas that experience cold winters. In this case, the red coloration is believed to be an adaptive method as a warning signal. When alarmed, the ringneck snakes coil their tails and raise toward the enemy. “Keep watching this page” was the last thing I wrote. In my next entry I’d like to say a bit about how to house ringnecks; in the meantime, here’s a photo of the snakes, in the deli cup we took them home in. First, I had to figure out how to incubate the eggs. They are also nocturnal creatures which means they prefer to sleep during daylight hours. They have some extra time and want to spend it educating people about the animals. Any This snake occupies one of the most extensive geographic ranges of any snake species of North America. Male and female ringnecks reach their sexual maturity in about three years. Your email address will not be published. That means a 10-gallon cage with a mesh top that will stop the snake from escaping. A 10-gallon terrarium is suitable As the days went on, I’d hear what the answers morphed into. After showing the little cutie critters off for a day, I released them back into the wilds of New Jersey, hopefully they will live long, happy lives, crawling to the left. A fully grown ringneck snake can grow to a length of between 10 and 15 inches. Because the delivery system isn’t as developed as a true venomous snake , these snakes need to chew on their prey to inject the venom. After a couple of hours I could adjust the temp by adjusting the amount of heating pad that touched the bottom of the tub. They all got different answers, some I’m quite proud of. Apart from a couple of pages tacked onto the end of a slim book by Philippe de Vosjoli on Rough Green Snakes (Opheodrys aestivus), the only real source of information on Ring-necked Snake care is the two-volume Snakes of the United States and Canada: Keeping them Healthy in Captivity by John and Roxanne Rossi (another edition is apparently coming soon). Still wondering what the mystery reptile is? Frequent handling will get them used to human contact but their natural inclination will be to escape if possible. The more likely outcome of any confrontation between a ringneck and a dog would be both snake and dog would be confused and afraid of each other. Of all the varieties of snake that are indigenous to eastern Canada, the Northern Ring-necked Snake (Diadophis punctatus edwardsii) was the one taxa I was certain that I would never keep.