Prosecutors said McNamara had used alcohol and meth that day, was traveling 55 mph in a 35 mph zone and was making angry phone calls to his girlfriend when he hit the boy. He would also earn two Bronze Stars, a Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross, and five Purple Hearts during his two tours in the Nam. I find myself looking for the right words to describe this film. Saddest to me is that Flaherty was a man who had done much and who could have offered so much more, but he got lost in ways we’ll never understand. "He was a fun guy to talk to," Yuzuk said. The elderly victim of Saturday's early morning hit-and-run crash in Aventura has been identified. Flaherty began to open up and talk to Yuzuk about his life only a few weeks before his tragic and lonely death as a hit-and-run … phil Drone wars: U.S. military maneuvers to defeat enemy unmanned aircraft. For this action he was awarded the Silver Star in 1968. Reviewed in the United States on May 27, 2019. Once in, he was able to qualify both for Special Forces training and for Officer Candidate School (OCS). Richard Grenell says Trump seeing 'unprecedented' LGBTQ support: 'Gay left is in total panic'. If the choice is between personality and policies, the advantage goes to Trump. Sure enough, eight hours after Yuzuk made a call to confirm Flaherty’s identity, Flaherty was killed in a hit-and-run accident. Most knew him as the tiny man with the big gun, but Yuzuk knew him as a friend. By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy. This is a story about a real American military hero. JavaScript is required for full functionality on this website, but scripting is currently disabled. where do you think you're going. Not only for his courage on the battlefield, but to enlist and kick ass as small as he was, was courage in itself. Flaherty's are out there homeless. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. If you need help with the Public File, call (954) 364-2526. She wrote, in part, "You make me believe in the goodness of humanity.". Center: Richard Flaherty ... would be mysteriously killed in a hit and run accident. While Yuzuk begins exploring the circumstances of his murder, upon looking closer, the policeman finds it was this man’s life, not only his death, that truly deserved some digging into. We owe them the dignity that they deserve. Rentals include 30 days to start watching this video and 48 hours to finish once started. Funds are paid by Greater Good Charities to benefiting organizations as a grant. Among them was a thank-you note from a woman Flaherty helped after her wallet was stolen. →. The elderly victim of Saturday's early morning hit-and-run crash in Aventura has been identified. He would see Flaherty and talk with him every day; they would even eat lunch together. No one knowing what they endured on those foreign fields; no one knowing what they are enduring today. Flaherty was on his way. His mind was clearly plagued by horrors of the past and if he was not directly involved than in parallel with some terrible events. After that segment I had no respect for the subject of this documentary and it's no wonder he apparently was haunted at the end of his life. And I see my leg wide open," said Richard. The man, Richard Flaherty, completed two combat tours as an Army Green Beret and was awarded five Purple Hearts as a result of his duty, the report states.