It's fun even if you're just a hardcore Whose Line fan. She Night With David Letterman, The Tonight Show Laura Hall got her start in improv as a Musical Director at the legendary Second City in Chicago. group in Chicago and Los Angeles. Making the Music: Laura Hall and Linda Taylor Laura Hall and Linda Taylor play the music for "Whose Line." But I … Cecilia "Cece" Worrall was a guest musician on the American Whose Line who often played with main musicians Laura Hall and Linda Taylor for a total of 38 episodes. Laura Hall . include music, and there have been a number of musicians during the run of the show. But Laura's true genius is that she can make caterwaulers like me sound good and, more important, makes caterwaulers like me feel safe enough to try. ", When you find yourself working with a tremendous musician who likes to laugh andis an expert in comedy, improvisation, and teamwork, her name is Laura Hall. She Then I did a podcast with the talented Bob Baker, and we got to talking afterward. A Tiger and Come Join the Parade. Taylor has performed in the studio and live with She's Can't wait to get all our musicians in the ImprovBoston training program reading the book!" You covered so many important aspects of music direction in a way that's friendly, accessible and informative. Conan O'Brien. [2] She appeared in two episodes of Carey's sitcom, The Drew Carey Show. There's a button on my keyboard marked "ACC". with Jay Leno, The Charlie Rose Show, The Many of the sketches on Whose Line Is It Anyway? Christmas Caroler appearing in the movie, "Christmas With the Kranks". [2], Hall continued as musician in the first season of the U.S. show on her own, but beginning in the second season, additional musicians were added to attempt to bolster that section of the show. Laura Hall is an American musician from Chicago. People asked me to write about this subject, because there aren't many resources available. You'll also greatly benefit if you're a director, teacher, or part of an improv group who wants to help a musician learn how to play with you. Often joining Hall was multi-instrumentalist Linda Taylor, and on occasion other musicians (such as horn players[2]) were added; additional performers included Anna Wanselius, Cece Worrall-Ruben, Anne King, and Candy Girard. So get reading, start playing, and have more fun than you're ready for. I can't think of a better pair to teach you the fundamentals of musical improv" - Bill Chott (Founder - The Improv Trick), From the Foreword by Colin Mochrie:    "On Whose Line, Laura supplies note-perfect music styles for Wayne Brady, Brad Sherwood, Chip Esten, Jeff Davis, et al, to shine on. What more could you ask for? Linda Taylor was born and raised in Southern California. Laura Hall is a damn fine musician, period. She has led the music at Craig Springs Christian Camp's "Gap Camp". "- Ron West (Director - The Second City), CSz Indianapolis, 721 Massachusetts Ave, Indianapolis, IN, Rick and I will teach two Music Improv Workshops, from 1:00-4:00 and 5:30-8:30. “The key to our Whose Line gig is really understanding the role that music plays in the show, and Laura is the queen of that skill.” - Linda Taylor (Guitarist - Whose Line is it Anyway) People asked me to write about this subject, because there aren't many resources available. "I loved "The Improv Comedy Musician"! series. Laura and Rick Hall continue performing together.[4]. Laura Hall and Linda Taylor are seen in the establishing shot and are credited as musicians, but they did not perform in this episode. I never used it or even noticed it was there, but there are a million buttons on a keyboard that you never use. 7 years ago. https://www.facebook.com/Laura-Hall-and-Linda-Taylor-141481955891303 You'll learn how I do what I do on Whose Line is it Anyway (plus get some insider stories about the show!) Linda Taylor, Soundtrack: The Office. Director at the legendary Second City in Chicago. the award-winning Patty Patty Bang Bang!. produced two albums of children's music, I See And you'll get tips and pointers on how to play for live improv shows, play in different styles, accompany improvised songs, know how to approach long and short form, improvise musicals, be a valuable team player, and lots more.“The key to our Whose Line gig is really understanding the role that music plays in the show, and Laura is the queen of that skill.” - Linda Taylor (Guitarist - Whose Line is it Anyway). She is best known for her role as band leader and pianist on the American version of the improvisational comedy television show Whose Line Is It Anyway?. Born December 8, 1957 in Los Angeles, California, she has been playing woodwinds since the age of 10. First taping of the CW series to air two different "Film Dub"s, in different episodes; Gallery " http://cszindianapolis.com, Saturday, May 2 @ 2:00PMSat, May 2 @ 2:00PM, The iO Theatre, 1501 N Kingsbury St, Chicago, IL 60642. has been heard on The Roseanne Show, Late Hall has performed throughout the thirteen seasons of the U.S. [5], Laura Hall is married to Rick Hall who was formerly a Second City mainstage actor. Richard Vranch did not move with the show to the United States; in fact, during the final series of the UK show which was filmed in America, Hall made her first appearance on the show. In 2018, Hall appeared on an episode of Storytellers Telling Stories, playing the accordion and singing alongside her husband, Rick Hall. At the age of four, she began playing the guitar. Rick & I will be teaching an all levels music improv workshop. With Laura you get experience, knowledge, and a teacher you can trust. - Mike Descoteaux (Artistic Director - ImprovBoston), "I know and highly respect both Laura & Bob. Although she had several teachers early on and participated in the typical school programs, she is primarily self-taught. Her band is The Sweet Potatoes.[4]. Apparently it … Come on out and join the fun! This page was last edited on 29 October 2019, at 00:55. Rosie O'Donnell Show, and Late Night with He's an accomplished author, teacher, musician and improviser, so it was perfect for us to write the book together. Hall performs at churches and conferences in the US. Here are their biographies. co-produced Dan Castellaneta's Beatles tribute There is no musical style she isn't well versed in. If so, this book is for you! https://www.finestcityimprov.com/, and Laura is the queen of that skill.” - Linda Taylor (Guitarist - Whose Line is it Anyway), People asked me to write about this subject, because there aren't many resources available. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Laura_Hall_(musician)&oldid=923513743, Wikipedia articles with MusicBrainz identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. such diverse artists as Chante Moore, Jesse [3], Hall has recorded a number of children's records as well as Christian rock worship music. But I didn't know how to begin writing a book. Hall has performed throughout the thirteen seasons of the U.S. series. album Two Lips, and she has written and But I didn't know how to begin writing a book. Saturday, April 11 @ 9:00PMSat, Apr 11 @ 9:00PM, Finest City Improv, 3746 Sixth Ave, San Diego, CA 92103, Rick & I will host a showcase with the students from our afternoon workshop Then I did a podcast with the talented. Are you a musician who plays with an improv comedy group, or is interested in trying it? This book is an opportunity for me to share knowledge gained from my years of improv experience. Laura Hall is an American musician from Chicago. Laura and Rick have two children, Eva and Ruthie Hall. composed several original musicals, including Designed for 18- to 24-year-olds, the camp is sponsored by the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and is held each spring in Virginia. ... Often joining Hall was multi-instrumentalist Linda Taylor, and on occasion other musicians (such as horn players) were added; additional performers included Anna Wanselius, Cece Worrall-Ruben, Anne King, and Candy Girard. Powell, Tracy Chapman, and Kirk Whalum. On the original BBC Radio series, the music was provided by Colin Sell, but when the show migrated to Channel 4, Richard Vranch took over the job. [2], Hall has also participated in similar projects with Drew Carey, such as Drew Carey's Green Screen Show and Drew Carey and the Improv Allstars. She appeared on six of the UK series' episodes. She has since played with almost every improv IamA improv musicians on Whose Line is it Anyway, Laura Hall & Linda Taylor by Laura_Hall in IAmA [–] Laura_Hall [ S ] 105 points 106 points 107 points 5 years ago (0 children) I … In high school, she was drawn to playing& listening to R&B. Laura Hall is an American musician from Chicago, Illinois, who appeared throughout the entire run of the American version of Whose Line Is It Anyway?providing music for the performers' games.. Hall (right) occasionally performed with fellow musicians Cece Worrall-Rubin (left) and Linda Taylor (center). Laura Hall got her start in improv as a Musical My biggest screw up on the show, and that's what people remember the most! Hall began her musical career in her hometown[1] Chicago, Illinois, working as a pianist for various theater and improvisational companies including The Second City and the Improv Institute.