For after Satan had completed his temptation we are told God’s “angels came and attended him” (Matt.
3–8 Protection from life’s threats. T. Ver. The deliverance of God is promised for the one who loves and knows him (91:14). IV. He repressed the words, “Keep thee in all thy ways,” which distinctly mean “a good man’s ways,” “the ways a good man ought to be taking.” “Only in the ways of God’s vocation, and with a view to progress in those ways, have we a right to the promise.” If we want to do right, we may be sure of God’s angel-help. 3:13–14). C. Ver.

(ver. Here there is the added promise of a “salvation” in heaven, yet to come. To set the right foot on the sea and the left on the earth, as... aspic('Deuteronomy 32:33') Dragons and asps signify the sensual principles, which are the ultimate of the natural man, full of abominable evils and their confirming falsities. and under his wings you may take refuge; b Psaumes 91:1 Celui qui s'abrite tout près du Très-Haut / repose en lieu sûr, à l'ombre du Tout-Puissant. Moses with God in the mount does but illustrate Moses with God always, resting and safe in his “shadow.”—R. Because they seek intimacy with him (implied in “knowing his Name”).

All we can need is included and involved in it. I. He sustains us in our sufferings. They make him their choice. Compare, as an equally glorious New Testament parallel, Rom. By rescuing us out of the snare. 91 Celui qui demeure sous l'abri du Très Haut Repose à l'ombre du Tout Puissant. 20:12; Deut. The special blessing here promised. The psalmist testifies to the benefits of trust in God (91:1–2). Rest. And whilst they continued in the faith of God, obeying and trusting him, they spiritually dwelt in that secret place, and, as a fact, were under the shadow—the high priest was so literally—of the Most High. }, 105 - The Process, Nature, and Rewards of Loving God (includes fish re water), The Psalms, with the Internal Sense and Exposition, Study the original Hebrew/Greek with qBible, Psaumes 9:3, 11, 17:8, 18:3, 25:2, 31:15, 35:2, 37:34, 46:2, 50:15, 23, 61:5, 62:8, 68:21, 124:7, 142:6. ombre'The shadow is good' of the oak, poplar and elm means complacence.

Note: They minister to God for his children. In the temptation narrative Satan appeals to Psalm 91, to assure Jesus that he has nothing to fear. [2.] In these verses God is the speaker, which tev has made explicit (see also niv, gecl, frcl). References from Swedenborg's drafts, indexes & diaries: References from Swedenborg's drafts, indexes & diaries: Apocalypse Explained 186, 278, 283, 336, 471, 632, 714, ...799, if(aStoryLink[0]) 5.—Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night.

And so with him who rightly says of the Lord, “He is my God.”. Do you rest in the shadow of the Almighty?

1:14), who guide them and direct them perpetually. Temporal good attends upon piety. car ... Read verse in Louis Segond 1910 (French) without suffering anything thyself, thou shalt look on, and see the punishment of the ungodly. We may feel toward God all we can feel towards our fellow-men—faith, admiration, devotion, etc. “By a sudden and effective transition,” as Professor Cheyne remarks, “Jehovah becomes the speaker” of the concluding strophe. “I will say of the Lord,” etc. Together the terms Most High and Shaddai speak of God as a mountain-like majesty, in whose presence there is a “secret place” or a shadow. spcl has “You will be able to walk among lions, among wild animals and snakes.”. He is a refuge that will not fail me; for he is my fortress and strong-hold.’’ Idolaters called their idols Mahuzzim, their most strong-hold (Dan. I will deliver him. Those dealt with may be read in the light of wilderness-experiences. The Lord is his Refuge, Fortress, the Joy of his soul, his God, his constant Confidence.

The final verses are an oracle of salvation promising salvation to those who trust in God (Ps 91:14–16). Then we have: 1.

A wicked worldly man is not satisfied, no, not with long life; he still cries, Give, give. 7:7; 10:15). One of them, probably the chief idea because it comes first, is that there is a condition to the kind of protection the psalm has been promising—that the individual “make the Most High [his] dwelling” (v. 9). And they have power in prayer—their prayers are answered. Jesus never has failed me yet.A note from Pastor Terry,Thanks so much for looking over this message. In verse 10b scourge translates a word meaning “stroke, blow, plague”; in 38.11 the word is used with the specific meaning of “disease, plague,” but here, in parallel with evil in line a, it probably has the general meaning of “calamity” (neb), “evil” (tob); njv, however, has “disease”; spcl “illness”; and njb “plague.” Tent in verse 10b means “dwelling place, home.”.

The title is unusual in that it attaches the designation “for the Sabbath day.” The poem has four brief sections: (1) an encouragement for the people to respond to God in praise and worship (vv. So here is a first point of application: Is Jesus Christ your Lord and God?

See this in such histories as that of Joseph. A man may die young, and yet die full of days, satur dierum—satisfied with living. The signs being their daily and their special prayers.—R. 23:37). He shall live long enough; till he has done the work he was sent into this world for, and is ready for heaven. The characteristics of this indwelling. 3. 50:15).

Here the psalmist quotes God as saying that the blessings are for those who love God and acknowledge his name (v. 14), call upon him (v. 15), and seek satisfaction in what he alone can provide. 2.

With the greatest power and efficacy. He gives to them an answering affection. 3. 6:4). This reminds us of two things: (1) It reminds us of what Ps. (See also vers. The Spirit in the potentiality of His strength “It is not my hand, outstretched, but the Hand mine grasps that holds me up”.b. A life hidden from strife and malice and the world.

The names seem to express the many-sidedness of our relationship. We must also remember that Satan distorted this very text by using verses 11–12 to tempt Jesus to destroy Himself by leaping from the temple (Matt. T. Ver. 5:3–4). 6.—Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness. 32:24, is rendered by the LXX. Moreover, He is personal, My God.

It is the reference to angels, the psalmist saying, For he will command his angels concerning you. His faithfulness, his unshakeability, is impregnable, it is a shield and buckler.

As in case of infectious diseases. It means resting in God continually and trusting him at all times. The Lord is to us our Refuge. 2 Je dis à l'Éternel: Mon refuge et ma forteresse, Mon Dieu en qui je me confie! Disgrace; for how can that be to those whom he honours? Otherwise angels would not be put in charge over us. 5–8; and again the second with vers. Satan quoted these words in tempting Jesus (Mt 4:6; Lk 4:10). Note, 1. Or are you still trying to find satisfaction in the world? “Don’t be afraid, Abraham, I myself am your shield; I myself am your very great reward” (Gen. 15:1). In fact, the picture is as much that of God’s mother-love as it is that of his father-love.

Abraham had won the battle, recovering Lot, the women, and their possessions. For rescue in verse 15c see “save” and comments in 6.4. And those who have found the comfort of making the Lord their refuge, cannot but desire that others may do so.

While he will experience suffering and evil in this fallen world, he will also know divine protection and deliverance. 5. And so, too, for the rise of the soul. When we are retired into our chambers, our beds, and have made all as safe as we can about us, yet there is terror by night, from thieves and robbers, winds and storms, besides those things that are the creatures of fancy and imagination, which are often most frightful of all. Our real difficulties are in connection with them. 'Wings,' when related to the Lord, signify the divine spiritual.

In verses 14–16 God speaks, confirming the words of the psalmist and promising safety and long life to those who trust him and obey him. 1:14.) I. They are such as make the Most High their habitation (v. 9), as are continually with God and rest in him, as make his name both their temple and their strong tower, as dwell in love and so dwell in God. var sStoryLink0 = aStoryLink[0].trim(); The Hebrew text throughout has the personal object, me, in the singular (see rsv), which tev has taken as generic and so translated by plural forms, “those who”; Dahood interprets the Hebrew singular as reference to the king. 1. Parallels have been found in the literature of the Babylonians (see ‘Babylonian and Oriental Record,’ vol. Puisqu'il m'aime, je le délivrerai; Je le protégerai, puisqu'il connaît mon nomnom. But he misquoted it! 1.

Thus does God deal with his faithfully witnessing servants, and for and through them to others.

That the powers of darkness shall be triumphed over by them (v. 13): Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder. There, living in God’s presence (v. 10), “No evil [‘distress’, calamity’] shall befall you.” More over, no “plague” (“scourge”) will “come near your dwelling” (“tent”). His commendation of God to others. tu as été pour nous un refuge, De génération en génération. C. Ver.

document.write(sStoryLink0 + "

");

The two lines of verse 1 are synonymous: dwells and abides; shelter and shadow; the Most High (see 7.17) and the Almighty (see 68.14).

But what is little in itself may not be so in its consequences. II.

Expressed by the habit of prayer—calling upon him.

27:5), but only because God’s presence is there (Ps.
Not the outspread wings of the cherubim, which overshadowed the ark of the covenant. 23:37. Translators in some languages may find it best to reduce both lines of this verse to one, as does spcl, which says “He who lives under the protecting shadow of the Most High and Almighty.” In some languages “to be in the shadow” is more related to being hidden than protected.

Psaumes 91:8 Ouvre seulement les yeux, 90:1).

In their troubles the Lord is with them. 90.

This is both a triumphant and a troubling psalm. 29:2; 31:6; 55:23; 56:3; 61:4, etc.). And all this we take personally, each of us individually appropriating it. It may be clearer to say “to keep you from hurting yourself on the stones” or “to keep the stones from hurting you.”, The language in this verse is symbolic, the various animals representing enemies and other dangers. 4.—He shall cover thee with his feathers; rather, with his pinions (see the Revised Version; comp. midi'Noon' signifies the full state of the church. The development of the psalm is in four main sections: (1) a confession of confidence in the Lord (vv. He grants them gracious exaltations.

They will come and go. So there are times in life when we feel to be in circumstances which we cannot even try to control.