Soo, who is Chinese American, posted a 28-second video showing a young Asian girl looking at a laptop watching Soon as Eliza singing "Helpless" in Hamilton. Pointing at the screen, the little girl says quietly at first, "It's me." She comes from privilege and a family that has not served in the Marines. Sign up for exclusive discounts and save up to 50% on tickets! LOJ: The conversation has progressed, the country has progressed. You know, you may not feel like it, there’s new information, there’s more history that gathered behind us every year that we’re on this planet. These gay voters are backing Trump. Maridelis Morales Rosado for The New York Times. I’m a fan of what happens in theatre, the catharsis and conversations, and the entertainment and the way that I’m changed and moved in the theater. was that all-star ensemble that put the thing together. But because we were able to preserve the show in this way Hamilton will maybe get to continue to be a part of the national conversation. Given that aspect of the show, how do those who performed in it feel about its place in the voice of America in the summer of 2020? When the woman asks, "It's you?" Thank you for your feedback. The actress Phillipa Soo, who played Eliza in the Broadway smash “Hamilton,” has always considered herself politically minded. During a break on Thursday, Soo shot a video for Jon Ossoff, a candidate for Senate in Georgia. She’s what we think of as the goddess now: amazing female figures who are singer-songwriter-performers, just larger-than-life characters.”. Lysol kills 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria on household surfaces. Cold and flu season is about to collide with the COVID pandemic. So I was still trying to untie that. https://t.co/mjhU8sXS1U, — Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel) July 6, 2020, “All the criticisms are valid,” he wrote. Last month, Disney announced that they were moving up the premiere of their exclusive cut of Hamilton. Lin-Manuel Miranda, who created Hamilton and stars opposite Eliza as her husband, also shared Soo's viral tweet of the video, adding a broken heart emoji alongside the quote, "It’s me.". She’s the first one to do it and they feel a little like this a phase for her and she’s coming to terms with that’s not the case.”. I’d like to see how people pick it up. Twitter Reacts to Oprah's Apple Event Updates, Oprah Reacts to Fan's Impersonation Video, Fans React to Abby Huntsman's Exit From "The View", This Brilliant IV Cover Helps Soothe Sick Children, Fans React to Songland's "Hurt Me" Release, These Sisters Are Like Real Life Little Women. What do we stand for?” And I think back [in 2016], some of us maybe had a different answer. Listen to Phillipa Soo Sing the KPOP-Inspired ‘Ultraluminary’ From Netflix's Over the Moon By Dan Meyer | 10/09/2020 The Hamilton Tony nominee performs the new track in the upcoming release. This doesn’t cost you anything extra, we just have to give you the heads up for legal reasons. Thank you @britbrit1432 for sharing this video ❤️❤️ @HamiltonMusical #hamilfilm pic.twitter.com/iDbb4orVIs, As of Tuesday morning, Soo's tweet had received over 15,000 retweets and 106,000 likes, and the video itself had garnered over 2.3 million views. "No... it's me!" To revisit the heartwarming moment in Hamilton where little Jenna saw herself in Eliza, watch a snippet of Soo performing "Helpless" below. What I loved about “Agents of Chaos” was that it was essentially playing out all the things that were happening in the scripted version. He really pushes in, in the moments where we sort of want to move closer. No matter if you prefer totes or crossbody bags, score some of Coach's most popular accessories for a discount during the Coach Outlet holiday preview sale. “Honestly, I’m glad that there’s a want and an outlet,” she said about her online performances. Nerdist recently sat down with cast members Leslie Odom, Jr., and Phillipa Soo, who originated the roles of Aaron Burr (sir) and Eliza Hamilton on Broadway. When these protests started, and people were like, “No, no, the way to do it is through peaceful protest.” It’s like, okay, let me remind you of the last Black man to try and peaceful protest. Soo also said she is similar to her character Haper because she is a perfectionist too. ©2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. One describes them to Yahoo Life as "like bugs were crawling all over my skin.". From MAGA hats to Biden-Harris face masks, polling places generally crack down on certain political gear. I took 6 years and fit as much as I could in a 2.5 hour musical. I think he was murdered on the 6th of July [2016] and I think my final performance was on the 9th or the 11th. On how this film version translates some of their most intense moments in the show, like “Burn” and “The Room Where It Happens,” both actors had lots of praise for Thomas Kail, the director of the musical and the movie. Copyright 1991-2020 © Playbill Inc. All Rights Reserved. “I remember hours of laughter,” said Soo. Experts reveal top signs of intimacy, These Woodstock Photos Are For Brave Eyes Only, 5 COVID-19 scams you need to know about right now: 'A perfect storm for scammers', Girl Scouts respond to backlash over since-deleted tweet celebrating Amy Coney Barrett: 'We are neither red nor blue', Use this one-step beauty hack to revive dried-out mascara and save money, Simple Trick To Repair Your Car Scratch & Dent, Hospital staff surprise 5-year-old girl battling cancer with ballet routine, Amazon just slashed the price of this cult-favorite dishware—save nearly 50 percent, today only, Lysol hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes and spray are back in stock at Amazon, Pastors Net Worth Has Followers Leaving The Church, 7 items every COVID-conscious family needs to fight cold and flu season, according to medical experts, Is there a dress code for voting? And so that is my favorite thing about this presentation of the show. She displayed all of the colors of what something so tragic can do to your life, and how it can close some doors but open new doors. But in the end, as long as we’re working towards building something, you know, we can, we can set our eyes towards that. It was a low-key day because we had to monitor her, so I read some of “Number One Chinese Restaurant” by Lillian Li. A heartwarming reminder that representation matters. Writer and star Lin-Manuel Miranda asked Christopher Jackson to star in Hamilton back when they were starring in In the Heights (during the show, in the show-stopping "96,000" to be exact); Daveed Diggs was asked to join after working with Miranda on Freestyle Love Supreme; Phillipa Soo was asked to play Eliza Hamilton after the creative team saw her in Natasha, Pierre and the Great Commet of 1812; Leslie Odom, Jr. received an email from Miranda to star in a reading; and Jonathan Groff was personally asked when Brian d'Arcy James' musical Something Rotten! After an outstanding performance in her debut show, director Thomas Kail invited her to audition for the role of Eliza in Lin-Manuel Miranda’s, Hamilton. Here are the clothing items that can get you turned away from the polls, 'COVID toes' may persist for months in long-haulers, study finds. We watched “Agents of Chaos,” which was great to watch after “The Comey Rule.” (I’m very proud of my husband’s work [in “The Comey Rule”] playing Peter Strzok.). "That's Eliza" says someone offscreen. So just as a fan of those performers, the fact that I got to change my seat from either stage left to stage right or just upstage of them. That's the point actress Phillipa Soo, who plays Eliza in Hamilton, was making when she tweeted a heartwarming video several days after the live-action movie adaptation of the Broadway play premiered on Disney+. PS: I think it does exactly what it’s supposed to do. Then we ended the night by watching an episode of “The West Wing.” My husband has watched it four times, but this is my first time through — even after being in “Hamilton.” Lin-Manuel [Miranda] is obsessed with “The West Wing,” and there are many little Easter egg references throughout “Hamilton.” We are on Season 6. That mentality came from Soo’s time on the stage when she starred in shows such as “Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet Of 1812” and “Hamilton.” Lin-Manuel Miranda’s show changed theater forever and Soo will never forget the little moments from her time on Broadway. Experts reveal their top advice to create -- and remain -- closely connected to your partner, 21 Woodstock Photos You Won't Find In History Books.