A window that has partition information will pop up. Many Apple users who have faced Partition grayed out in Mac issues eventually partitioned their external hard drives with the help of these fixes. I have already formatted the drive to Mac OS Extended as it was previously formatted to a windows file system. Updated: How to Deal with Roblox Error Code 277, 4 Ways to Reset Locked iPad without Passcode/Password, How to Stop Mac from Reopening Apps After Reboot, 4 Workarounds for Mac Bug “Cannot be Autosaved” When Saving Documents, Did You Get the “iCloud encountered an error while trying to connect to the server” Error? For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Can't partition (option greyed out) External HDD on Mac OS X El Capitan Now that you have prepared your hard drive to work with Mac, the next step is to partition it on your Mac by following these steps: Pro Tip: If the main reason for partitioning your hard drive is to install Windows, Apple recommends that you use Boot Camp Assistant instead of Disk Utility. I've previously erased and formatted to Mac OS X Journaled, so there's nothing on it, but still the partition option isn't available (see screenshot). Thanks for the reply. Share it in the comment section. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites. Required fields are marked *. Hello, On a Mac Book Pro/ El Capitan, i'm trying to partition an USB stick with Disk Utility but the "Partition" button is disabled. Copyright © Software Tested 2013 - 2020 All rights reserved. Hard drive partitioning is a common issue discussed in many tech forums. But somehow, you cannot access the Mac Disk Utility partition, so you can’t write data to the drive. Hi guys, sorry for highjacking the post, but since the problem was already solved, I thought you wouldn't mind. Kindly start your own thread concerning your exact problem. Still shows no indication that it's been formatted HFS+. Launch the Disk Utility app on your Mac and highlight the hard drive icon under ‘ External’ (for external hard drives). More Leopardus, Nov 15, 2015 3:13 AM in response to sundy_1, Nov 15, 2015 5:59 AM in response to Leopardus, User profile for user: By default, a Mac runs a different file system, so it may bring issues while partitioning your disk on Disk Utility. So what I did was I used this, then I downloaded Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - instant download link . Question: Q: Can't partition (option greyed out) External HDD on Mac OS X El Capitan. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the. What i'm i doing wrong ? Mac users have also reported slow performance, random freezes, and space issues. Nov 15, 2015 1:58 AM in response to sundy_1 Thanks in advance! Any help is majorly appreciated. Part 2: Partition USB drive macOS High Sierra If your USB drive is formatted as GUID Partition Map, the Partition button should now no longer be greyed out. After doing that the partition option was no longer greyed out and I was able to successfully partition the drive. Nov 15, 2015 2:39 AM in response to sundy_1 Please review EULA and Privacy Policy. Problem 2: As mentioned earlier, external drives are usually not compatible with macOS, which may bring issues when you want to partition. Alberto Ravasio, Nov 15, 2015 6:29 AM in response to Alberto Ravasio, Nov 15, 2015 1:58 AM in response to sundy_1, User profile for user: Nov 15, 2015 6:27 AM in response to sundy_1 Why Partition Grayed Out in Mac (Plus Solution), How to Restore Grayed Out Disk Utility Partition: Format Your Hard Drive to Work with Mac, What Else Can You Do to Resolve Common Mac Issues. diskutil erasedisk hfs+ External GPT /dev/disk2, Nov 15, 2015 6:29 AM in response to Alberto Ravasio In response to Leopardus. I know the screenshot reads MS-DOS, but I have in fact already erased as OS X Journaled, hence the confusion as to why the screenshot that appears on this forum appears different (really strange). In response to sundy_1. In response to sundy_1. Any suggestions, Sep 4, 2016 11:17 AM in response to Don Knaught, Sep 13, 2016 4:53 AM in response to Alberto Ravasio, This command deletes all of your data on your external hard drive if there's still content on it. So what I did was I used this, then I downloaded Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - instant download link <, >. In response to sundy_1, Your terminal output indicates that it has not been formatted correctly for HFS+, Make sure that you select the GUID partition and not the MBR which is for FAT. Post the output here. If you are like many users, partitioning a hard drive on Mac may not be the only challenge you have had with your computer. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question. Mar 27, 2016 9:00 AM in response to sundy_1 (GUID for OS X Journaled), Nov 15, 2015 5:59 AM in response to Leopardus When I run diskutil list on my terminal, this is what I get now, after using the proposed hfs+ command: Last login: Sun Mar 27 12:28:21 on ttys000, #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER, 0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0, 1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1, 2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 120.5 GB disk0s2, 3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3, 0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD +120.1 GB disk1, #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER, 0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk2, 1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1, 2: Microsoft Basic Data TT 999.9 GB disk2s2. The best way to guarantee the best performance for your Mac is to scan and clean the computer. The process usually takes less than a minute, but it depends on the size of your hard disk. In response to sundy_1, Nov 15, 2015 6:28 AM in response to sundy_1 Fear not, we have a solution to this problem. In response to greg sahli, Jan 23, 2016 12:12 AM in response to sundy_1 Less, User profile for user: I've restarted Disk Utility numerous times, but nada. I'm attempting to partition a 500gb external HDD to run bootcamp, but whenever I go into Disk Utility, the option to partition the drive is greyed out. In response to bigschwabbel. You will see additional disk icons show. You can then format your hard drive using GUID Partition Table. Your email address will not be published. In response to sundy_1. In response to Alberto Ravasio. Open Terminal and type "diskutil list". You can confirm if the process was successful on your desktop. Thank you so much and I wish I had found your answer yesterday! Yes, i highlight the drive in the list and the "Partition" button i still disabled. Probably, you just bought your external hard drive and are eager to use it on your Mac. Erase it with GUID/HFS+. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. https://www.google.com/search?clien...g+that+scheme+GUI+partition&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8. Apple may provide or recommend responses as a possible solution based on the information provided; every potential issue may involve several factors not detailed in the conversations captured in an electronic forum and Apple can therefore provide no guarantee as to the efficacy of any proposed solutions on the community forums. I spent so much time before finding your solution that worked. Nov 15, 2015 3:13 AM in response to sundy_1 Question: Sep 4, 2016 11:17 AM in response to Don Knaught