In Hong Kong presently (2007), 2 models are offered, the Elgrand XL and the Elgrand Highway Star which is an eight passenger variant. If you’ve got a towbar on, I don’t think there is any need to remove it. The new front styling (including new chrome front grill) gives the Elgrand an enhanced sporty look. A lot of the popular vehicles being imported from Japan at the moment are large, with big engines and loads of torque. I haven’t contacted any of the manufacturers myself. The exterior of the Elgrand has changed a lot since its predecessor and is now equipped with remote controlled electronic doors, side mirrors with signal lights, a rear roof spoiler, and 16 (XL) or 17 (HWS) inch Aluminium Alloy rims. Are you affected? The base price of both the Elgrand XL and the Highway Star are the same at $486,800 Hong Kong Dollars. Detailed advice for you - the tradie - on what car is right for you and your job. I sent the same set of questions via the Ask the Police website. Hi Andrew. Sign up to receive the monthly newsletter from Andrew's Japanese Cars. In the meantime, should you require further information regarding our services please take a look at our website http://www.horiba-mira.com. I was asked recently how to calculate the VAT due on an […], Your email address will not be published. © 2020 Width : 1795 mm 70.67 in. This is a hot topic, so here is my attempt to offer some clarity. In the article itself I said it was much less common and I stand by that comment, which is based on my own experiences of driving in Japan on numerous occasions. As far as I’m aware, these do not have a towing weight or gross train weight indicated on their VIN plate. Well that’s it, dead end I guess. Both versions also come with a heated drivers seat and a heated front passenger's seat as well. Thank you for the correction. I’m asked about towing with Alphards and Elgrands in particular on a regular basis, but the following applies to almost any vehicle imported from Japan. See below. Makes complete sense and is exactly the sort of response I was hoping for. In this case it would then be best to contact the manufacturer and try to obtain a retrospective permitted GTW declaration from them. Technical Officer IVA M1 N1 O1 Obviously nothing in this post is intended to be legal advice, nor is it intended to be the last word on the subject. A few days later I received the following from one of the heavy vehicle technical officers at the DVSA: “If a manufacturer has not specified a train weight it is usually because the vehicle’s design does not permit towing. It housed an Inline four 16 valve engine with a DOHC valve train. Here is an example from my old Honda CR-V: In this picture you can see 4 weights on the VIN plate: In Japan, towing is much less common. The gov.uk website states: “If your VIN plate doesn’t list a train weight, you should not use your vehicle for towing.”. What's been recalled and why. The focus of this article is more about the legality of towing in the UK rather than the capability of any particular vehicle to tow. 3490 – 1990 = 1500 kg in this case. I emailed MIRA as they do official vehicle testing, and it was suggested they might be able to help. Hi John thinking of buying a 3ltr alphard to tow my caravan just wondering what is the weight of your caravan you pull with your alphard mine is 1700kg would a 3ltr pull this weight I have a 2.4 hybrid at the moment which will not pull this sort of weight thanks Angie. Japan do not specify train weight on vehicles intended for use in Japan. Reactions: Phil and Hoobajoob. Rules that do not exist can’t be applied. Thanks for doing this research. I have no issues towing this weight with the 3500cc 6 speed auto Elgrand. Please take a few moments to complete our Customer Service Centre Customer Feedback form by clicking here, Stay informed: Sign up for free email alerts and newsletters from DVSA Direct. Not just utes. However, if the vehicle isn’t fully laden, you could tow more than 1500 kg as long as the gross combination weight is not exceeded. In some instances the vehicles don’t conform to UK dimensions/specifications and cannot be driven in the UK. Off-road for beginners and the experienced, plus camper trailers, caravans and motorhomes, We make it easy to compare design, practicality, value and more, Buying used? Our automotive experts are here to help, If you're wondering, we've probably got the answer. ok if you had one fitted already to your Elgrand have you got to take it off or is it ok to have one but not tow with it i ask this because a lot of bike racks use them ??? Fuel tank capacity : 76 l 20.08 US gal | 16.72 UK gal: Dimensions; Length : 4795 mm 188.78 in. However, clearly it does happen and I agree there are tow bars available, including the humorously titled TugMaster by Suntrex! SA1 8AN. Wheelbase : 2950 mm 116.14 in. The Nissan Elgrand is a luxury van manufactured by Nissan sold in Japan and other Asian markets including Hong Kong. The issue is less about it attracting police attention, and more about the invalidation of insurance. Thank you very much for taking the time to add your findings to the discussion. Good morning Mr.Adams. Unless you’ve got it full of 7 people, 7 bikes and 7 sets of luggage on the roof rack! The only way I can see around this is maybe finding a fairly “understanding” company that offers an up-plating service, although I did already talk to SV Tech and they weren’t willing to entertain this, but maybe another company would? Another nail in the possibility of legally towing with a JDM import. My interpretation of DVSA comment is that if your GTW ( combined weight of towing vehicle plus trailer] cannot exceed the weight of the towing vehicle then the maximum weight of the trailer is zero.??? While I appreciate that this is not the answer you had hoped for, I do hope that you have found this information to be of use. It’s well worth people asking the questions of the relevant authorities as well, in the hope that someone gets an answer that sticks and leads to a solution to this ridiculous technicality situation. 3490 kg is the gross train weight or gross combination weight. Part one of the response contained some useful information about who would be responding: “Your query has been forwarded to a HGV/PSV Technical Officer who will respond to you directly. We have the world largest and most accurate list of towing capacity data across all types of cars. Here's what to look out for and buy smart, Get to know the personalities behind the team every week, The most interesting hints of what's to come. What is the towing capacity of the 2000 Nissan Elgrand?No one seems to be prepared to say what the maximum towing capacity of the Elgrand is; the best we could find is that the tow bar available for the Elgrand is rated at a maximum towing load of 1400 kg. © 2020 Carsguide Autotrader Media Solutions Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. We advise that you contact the manufacturer of the vehicle and explain to them that the towing weights are not shown on your vin plate, and ask them if the vehicle is designed to have any towing capacity. Thank you for your interest in HORIBA Mira. The latest and future car tech from around the world, We're here to help you with any car issues. This has been forwarded to the Department for Transport, International Vehicle Standards Division and I have been asked to reply. Created with Sketch. What's the difference between diesel and... Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide. No way of getting it tested. I feel your frustration – very similar to what I felt! We are unable to assist with your enquiry as the Department has no knowledge of the vehicle’s specifications or whether it is suitable for towing. Importing cars from Japan involves reading a lot of acronyms. This is the subject of much debate so I thought I’d do some research. No one seems to be prepared to say what the maximum towing capacity of the Elgrand is; the best we could find is that the tow bar available for the Elgrand is rated at a maximum towing load of 1400 kg. A trailer should not exceed the kerbside weight of the vehicle, preferably less and the tow bar should be fit for purpose. I’ll go through the responses I received in the following sections. I don’t have any more information but I’m most grateful to those of my readers who have contributed the results of their own research. Family focused reviews and advice for everything family car related. Padley Road, This should probably have been my first port of call, but it was actually the response from the DVSA that led me to look. Or I’ll just buy a landcruiser, probably with a towbar already fitted. It’s important because towing over the permitted weight for your vehicle could earn you a fine, a whole load of hassle and invalidate your insurance. I looked into this when taking it to europe as there is a weird we “they have a law” “we don’t have a law” thing around registration and plating of trailers.