“If you’re to live decent lives, you have to know who you are and what lies ahead of you, every one of you.”. If we'd understood that back then-who knows?-maybe we'd have kept a tighter hold of one another.”, “All children have to be deceived if they are to grow up without trauma.”, “That was the only time, as I stood there, looking at that strange rubbish, feeling the wind coming across those empty fields, that I started to imagine just a little fantasy thing, because this was Norfolk after all, and it was only a couple of weeks since I’d lost him. Description. Miss Lucy, arguably the most heroic character in the novel, suggests that it is better to face death with full awareness of what's coming, rather than trying to ignore it. “Something in me just gave up. Chapter 4, Page 36, that there are people out there, like Madame, who don't hate you or wish you any harm, but who nevertheless shudder at the very thought of you Never Let Me Go: A Marxist Attack on Science? Teachers and parents! “Memories, even your most precious ones, fade surprisingly quickly. The gallery manager talks to them about the artwork on display, reminding Kathy of the guardians at Hailsham. It is left to interpretation whether this pragmatic approach is better or worse than Miss Lucy's gloomy outlook. Kathy's account of Tommy's youthful trials foreshadows one of the novel's major themes. This interpretation helps to explain Never Let Me Go's polarizing ending. The Bridgewater tape assumes a new symbolic dimension after Kathy and Tommy locate the copy of it in Norfolk. If you’re to have decent lives, you have to know who you are and what lies ahead of you, every one of you.”, “We all complete. Never Let Me Go Quote Analysis Chapter 16. In referring to the students aloud as clones, Ruth exposes her lost sense of possibility. We all complete. All Right Reserved. This is another incredibly poignant and sad realization—for Tommy, we learn, has always regretted his lack of creativity, and wants to do whatever he can to remedy it, in order to make life better for himself and possibly for Ruth. People's opinions, their feelings, they go one way, then the other. Make sure your voice is heard As of this date, Scribd will manage your SlideShare account and any content you may have on SlideShare, and Scribd's General Terms of Use and Privacy Policy will apply. Maybe none of us really understand what we've lived through, or feel we've had enough time.”, “I half closed my eyes and imagined this was the spot where everything I'd ever lost since my childhood had washed up, and I was now standing here in front of it, and if I waited long enough, a tiny figure would appear on the horizon across the field and gradually get larger until I'd see it was Tommy, and he'd wave, and maybe even call.”, “It was like when you make a move in chess and just as you take your finger off the piece, you see the mistake you've made, and there's this panic because you don't know yet the scale of disaster you've left yourself open to.”, “You have to accept that sometimes that's how things happen in this world. In the store, Kathy overhears Ruth and Chrissie discussing deferrals again. It just so happens you grew up at a certain point in this process.”, “It never occurred to me that our lives, until then so closely interwoven, could unravel and separate over a thing like that. That's how it is with us. Kathy H. is a thirty-one-year-old clone who has been bred for her organs to be harvested when she reaches adulthood. ... Find related themes, quotes, symbols, characters, and more. But in the end, we can't stay together forever.' Rodney leads the way to the office, but Chrissie makes them stop at Woolworth’s first to buy birthday cards. They all agree that she resembles Ruth enough to be a legitimate possible. Her deep psychological resignation here is significant, because similar emotions lead her to accept her fate as a donor. Ishiguro does not suggest that people are immoral; rather, he portrays a world in which individuals always assume that someone else will take a stand for morality––and then no one does. Where the office from the magazine advertisement suggested the hope of an alternate future for Ruth, the actual office in Norfolk reinforces reality. Learn the important quotes in Never Let me Go and the chapters they're from, including why they're important and what they mean in the context of the book. ', “A part of us stayed like that: fearful of the world around us, and-no matter how much we despised ourselves for it-unable quite to let each other go.”. Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later. Ruth claims to have known it was a stupid idea all along, snapping at Tommy when he attempts agree with her. View the lesson plan for Never Let Me Go…, View Wikipedia Entries for Never Let Me Go…. These papers were written primarily by students and provide critical analysis of Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. You can change your ad preferences anytime. If you continue browsing the site, you agree to the use of cookies on this website. “Why did we do all of that work in the first place? Chapter 15, Page 108, Because somewhere underneath, a part of us stayed like that: fearful of the world around us, and We still had that last bit of comfort, thinking one day, when we grow up, and we were free to travel around the counry, we would always go and find it in Norfolk...And that's why years and years later, that day Tommy and I found another copy of that lost tape of mine in a town on the Norfolk coast, we didn't just think it pretty funny; we both felt deep down some tug, some old wish to believe again in something that was once close to our hearts.”, “That's most interesting. Madame, Miss Emily, and the other humane-treatment advocates believe that "books and discussions" are worthwhile even if a person is condemned to live a short life. With all our schemes and plans?”, “When we lost something precious, and we'd looked and looked and still couldn't find it, then we didn't have to be completely heartbroken. Inside the studio, they observe the possible talking with the gallery manager. You'll become adults, then before you're old, before you're even middle-aged, you'll start to donate your vital organs. It's like walking past a mirror you've walked past every day of your life, and suddenly it shows you something else, something troubling and strange. Never Let Me Go  - Summary and Analysis page. You're students. We’re modelled from trash. Chapter 10, Page 68, What made the tape so special for me was this one particular song: track number three, 'Never Let Me Go'. For your reference, we provided these Never Let Me Go quotes with page numbers using the following version of the book: Never Let Me Go, Random House LLC, 2005 (304 pages). Cliff Notes ™, Cliffnotes ™, and Cliff's Notes ™ are trademarks of Wiley Publishing, Inc. SparkNotes ™ and Spark Notes ™ are trademarks of Barnes & Noble, Inc.