It also helps them float in water. Muskrat is a polygamous animal which means they have mating partners more than one.

Muskrats follow trails they make in swamps and ponds. Bank burrows are tunnels excavated in a bank. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife: Muskrats 3. I love hiking, my kids, and nature. Muskrats can even swim backward.Additional resources 1. Muskrats can be found throughout the Rocky Mountains. Sometimes they will take over abandoned beaver lodges or dig dens in the bank. Front feet of muskrats are equipped with long and sharp claws. Babies depend on the mother in the first month of their life. Muskrats usually have 2 to 3 pounds of weight. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. The term is also believed to be of Algonquin origin from the word muscascus, meaning “it is red.”. In fact, they don’t travel far away from their homes with this they require a large supply of nutrients.

each comment to let us know of abusive posts. The muskrat is native to North America.

They are naked, blind and helpless at birth. (Image: © Sergey Uryadnikov / Shutterstock). I receive a tiny percent of any purchases you make through these links. The young are dependent on the female for about 30 days. Learn why they are different and other interesting facts. A muskrat is a type of mammal. These aquatic animals look a lot like their relatives. So, checking to see whether the tail is long and narrow or wide and flat will tell you right away which is which. They can swim backwards and forwards. or anything. Open/Close Menu. Fact #9. Outer layer is waterproof. Outside the breeding season, muskrats are solitary except at times during the winter when several may share a den to conserve body heat. Though, this isn’t always obvious, especially when the animal is far away or in the water. Sometimes they will take over abandoned beaver lodges or dig dens in the bank. Here is the sequenced taxonomy of muskrats: Your email address will not be published. My secret reason for doing this is that I want more people to become nature addicts like me. Early in the 20th century, muskrats were introduced to northern Eurasia including Ukraine, Russia, Siberia, adjacent areas of China and Mongolia. Muskrats use the strong smelling musk to mark their territory, rubbing it around their house and on the trails they frequently use. They mate in the season between March and July. They are not, however, members of the genus Rattus. Here are some facts about this animal so that you will know all about it if you see one in the wild.

Though they need a large supply of food, muskrats usually don't travel any farther than 150 feet (46 meters) away from their homes. This week’s featured animal is the muskrat. They can have up to three litters each year. Maskrats are native to North America, but are now also found in Eurore, Asia and parts of South America. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Visit our corporate site.

They are omnivores and will eat a wide range of other food, including snails, salamanders, fish, and young birds. Their heads are very large and their ears are almost invisible underneath the fur. Muskrats can reach 18 to 25 inches in length, including the tail (which has 8 to 11 inches in length). They can swim up to about 3 mph (5 km/h) thanks to their paddle-like webbed feet. Including the tail, they can reach up to the length of 25 inches or little more sometimes. All these animals prefer to hunt a healthy musk to acquire more protein present in its meat. They prefer to acquire nutrients most often from the greens like cattails, pondweed, waterlily, and roots. Don't Threaten. They leave the den at about 6 weeks of age. Pregnancy lasts 28 to 30 days and ends with 6 to 7 babies.

These small animals are very big eaters. 2.