But its cameras, battery and software are unremarkable, and it’s tied to Verizon, making it a tough sell compared to the Galaxy S20 and OnePlus 8 series. I used both 90Hz and 120Hz screens and there is less of a difference between them than, say, a 60Hz and 90Hz one. I had issues with the optical fingerprint sensor not always recognising my thumb – although this is the case with just about all these still fairly terrible in-display fingerprint scanners. The Edge Plus' 5,000-mAh battery is the same capacity as the LG V60 and the Galaxy S20 Ultra. It only works on the rear camera, but you could use it to make cool-looking vlogs if you don't mind filming blind. The phone is capable of good HDR photos but is still a step behind computation photography from Apple and Google. The Edge Plus did a decent job exposing for the sign with minimal blow out of highlights from the sun. There’s also a front camera buried inside a small circular cutout. The one on the Edge Plus works great though. The Edge, on paper at least. The cutout between the foreground and the background is one of the most natural-looking I've seen from a portrait mode on any phone. After a week with the Motorola Edge Plus, I found it to be so much more than its spec list. Experience 5G speeds with this unlocked Motorola edge smartphone. © 2021 CNET, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. Obviously there are phones with higher refresh rate displays, such as the 144Hz screen on Nubia Red Magic 5G gaming phone, but 90Hz is no slouch. The speakers sound good and deliver solid bass. Consider the V60 once more or any of the Galaxy S20 phones that can record 8K video. One of the biggest differences between this Edge and Edge Plus is the chipset used. The Motorola edge smartphone has a 64MP triple-camera system for low-light, high-res, ultra-wide, and ultra-zoom photos. Even when simply resting my palm on the sides webpages can unintentionally start scrolling up and down. It might only be a 1080p display, but detail remains sharp and unless you’ve got a QHD+ phone to hand to compare I doubt you’ll really notice the difference. There’s no wireless charging. For years now Motorola has been bringing us excellent phones that cost south of £250. The 6.7-inch OLED display wraps around the edges to deliver a clear picture quality with a 90 HZ refresh rate. Max joined Trusted Reviews as a features writer in 201…, This is a long phone – it’s taller than the, The Motorola Edge still keeps plenty of camera tricks. It features a triple-camera as well as a edge-to-edge … It does an ok job though this isn’t the phone for you if you’re big into low-light shooting. The 5G works well. Data speeds are also great, thanks to support for 5G networks in the UK and further afield. It can still be comfortably held in one hand as a result. Watch Wonder Woman 1984 for free with HBO Max -- and don't skip the end credits, Easy (but great) last-minute Christmas gifts you can print or email, How to watch Pixar's Soul with Disney Plus right now. The back is finished in a smudgy glass, while the top and bottom are flat. One of my favorites allows you to slide your finger down the edge to pull down the notifications shade and control panel. Motorola Edge Plus specs compared to Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus, OnePlus 8 Pro, LG V60, Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, Discuss: Motorola Edge Plus: The best cameras of any Moto phone -- but I wanted more, 144Hz screen on Nubia Red Magic 5G gaming phone, combines four pixels into one, through a process called "pixel binning. Want a screen with a higher refresh rate than 90Hz? After implementing 21:9 screens on its Motorola One and Edge lines already, it seems Motorola has chosen the G 5G Plus to introduce the longer aspect ratio to the Moto G line. The Edge Plus’ more premium 108-megapixel main sensor has been ditched and the complimentary cameras downgraded, on paper at least, to help keep costs down. Read on for our full review. Though this is, and hopefully will, be subject to change. Switch to the main 64-megapixel camera and the results are far superior. There's a time-of-flight sensor on the back of the phone that gathers depth information and makes rear portrait mode photos especially gorgeous. Jumping between messaging and social apps, refreshing Instagram and opening up the camera are all done with ease and without any lag. There's a fingerprint reader built into the front display. The image quality is fine, but white balance seems off to me and colors are oversaturated. But, many of the common issues with curved screens remain despite this. You can also, if you want, force apps to ignore the sides completely and stick to just the front. Motorola Edge Plus review: Display High refresh-rate, full-HD OLED displays have gone from a luxury to the status quo for Android flagships. That is the reason to buy. Be respectful, keep it civil and stay on topic. The Edge is also joined by the Motorola Edge Plus, a phone it hopes will take on the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and Oppo Find X2. It costs the same as the Motorola Edge, has a similarly large Super AMOLED, and matches the Edge's performance. It’s not as ergonomic as a flat screen, but when it’s combined with the very narrow body it does work. The pixel binning works well on this phone. The Edge+ by Motorola is a high-end smartphone equipped with a Snapdragon 865, plenty of power, an OLED display, plentiful storage, and a … Maybe more than anything, though, the Edge is one of Motorola's first attempts at making a new kind of device: An affordable 5G smartphone. The Motorola Edge and Motorola Edge Plus may look identical, but they are vastly different phones under the glassy skin. But there are a number of new additions that take advantage of the edges of the display. As its name suggests, what defines this phone is its 6.7-inch OLED screen that wraps around the edges of the phone nearly 90 degrees. It has a 90Hz display, a triple-lens camera, and it supports sub-6GHz 5G connectivity. Moto Actions have been great for years and they’ve remained standout features on the brand’s cheaper phones. Discussion threads can be closed at any time at our discretion. That’s far from a given at this price but it still would have been nice to have and it would have helped the Edge one-up the similarly-priced OnePlus 8. This is one of the cheapest 5G phones you’ll find, but it still packs enough bite to keep things running smoothly in most situations. 5G: The Edge Plus is Motorola’s first legit 5G phone. These images pop on social media. The wide aspect ratio is perfect for watching many movies that are also shot at a wide aspect ratio. It’s a more interesting phone than the top-end Motorola Edge Plus. But there are two things about the phone that can impede its success. Moto's mid-range Motorola Edge is an impressive phone for the price that comes with next-gen' 5G connectivity. One the bottom right side of the photo you can see a button drawn with a neon blue line that can be customized and used as a shoulder button during gameplay on the Motorola Edge Plus. The Motorola Edge Plus is a solid all-around flagship with booming speakers and a headphone jack audiophiles will love. What I have noticed the most about the using the Moto Edge, rather than a phone around the £1000 mark, is that while the main sensor takes very good snaps it’s the surrounding cameras that don’t stand out so well. Or could this be our new best mid-range phone? Take a look at the video below, which includes a bunch of clips I shot in 6K. Motorola Edge review: Design From afar, the Motorola Edge looks very stylish, with a distinctive curved display and a look that's indistinguishable from a premium phone. When I reviewed the Moto Z4 ($399 at Amazon), which also had an in-screen fingerprint sensor, it never seemed to work on the first try. You can switch fonts, themes, change your wallpaper or even the animation that follows a press on the fingerprint sensor here. Motorola One 5G review: ... but the One 5G lacks the cohesiveness like that of the Motorola Edge. I'm still running battery-drain tests with the phone, and will update this review in the future with the results. I kept it as a last app button and found I used it quite a lot. The Motorola Edge gets its name from its display, so let's go ahead and start the review there. It scored nearly identical to its Snapdragon 865 siblings the Galaxy S20 Plus and OnePlus 8 Pro. Look at the detail the Edge Plus was able to capture in Cheddar the cat's fur. GSMArena.com: Motorola Edge user opinions and reviews. The rest of the 6.7-inch display is actually very nice, not always a given for a phone that costs £549. Expert review of Motorola's Edge Plus. #mc-embedded-subscribe-form input[type=checkbox]{display: inline; width: auto;margin-right: 10px;} You’ve got a bright OLED panel, with HDR 10 support. Unlike the US Moto Edge Plus, the regular Edge lacks the mmWave 5G support. A: Yes, it is a good honest, well-made, well-priced phone with a Motorola heritage. It’s fast, has a good camera, 5G and it’s one of the best looking phones around. It’s taken very much a ‘less is more’ approach, combining the majority of its added tweaks into one handy app and then keeping everything else very ‘Google’. I customized the buttons for PUBG, for example, so the right shoulder button attacks and the left shoulder button kneels. The macro mode is capable of capturing an incredible amount of details. This means text looks sharper, and animations and scrolling are smoother. Motorola took features found on other top-of-the-line Android phones, put its own Moto spin on them and built them all into one of the most wonderful Android phones I've tried in a long time. Moto Display makes it easy to see notifications, even when the screen is off, and enables you to interact with them without unlocking the phone. Craving a camera that can shoot video at a higher resolution than 6K? #mergeRow-gdpr fieldset label {font-weight: normal;} But if you need a recharge, the phone has 15W turbo charging as well as wireless charging and reverse wireless charging. The Edge Plus also supports Portrait Mode video which is better than it should be. It feels like using a game controller. But to my own surprise I found that I don’t completely despise the Edge’s. I was less impressed with the charging speeds, even though Motorola brands it as ‘Turbo Power’. With its eye-catching design, 5G connectivity and mid-range price-tag, the Motorola Edge is an interesting prospect that proves the brand shouldn’t limit itself to making budget phones. This is the best camera system I've used on a Motorola, but I wouldn't say it's the best camera system on any phone. There are three main cameras, plus a time of flight (. For example, the One 5G has a gorgeous blue finish but it's marked with a giant AT&T logo. Motorola Edge review: Price and competition If the core specifications are impressive, then the price is even more tempting. ... Motorola Moto G 5G Plus; Motorola Moto … Whether I was playing the Beastie Boys, Wu-Tang Clan, Andrew Bird, Sharon Jones or the Kronos Quartet, music sounded loud and full. As seems to be the case with most phones around this price that aren’t the Pixel 3a things fall apart a bit when the light isn’t very good. The Moto Edge has a dedicated night mode – Night Vision – that tries to enhance brightness when you’re shooting in dim conditions. Daylight shots are good. Video capture on the Edge Plus is good too and you can record with up to a 6K resolution, but it can be better. The first alternative that comes in mind is the brand-new Samsung Galaxy A71 5G. That’s with the 90Hz mode on and a 5G SIM installed – though usually just pulling 4G and Wi-Fi data. Being stuck in lockdown has hampered my ability to test the 5G here in the real world – support for this still fairly new tech remains limited – but having it on a £500 device is impressive and futureproofs it for years to come. This is how we make money. Occasionally it will fail to recognise me, but it works most of the time and I have no complaints. It is a strong all-around mid-range 5G performer with an interesting Edge screen and decent camera. looks impressive. You have the usual Moto gesture controls, such as the double karate chop to turn on a flashlight and flicking your wrist to open the camera. S one of the coolest things you can switch fonts, themes, change your wallpaper even! Played around with it more, I found it to be picky of £250,. Added some software tweaks that aim to make cool-looking vlogs if you do n't filming... Camera are all too common though is the Deputy Editor for Trusted Reviews mobile! Well as wireless charging of 5G choices cost south of £250 which encourage! And competition if the core specifications are impressive, then the price is even more.... I played around with it more motorola edge 5g review I could learn the kinds of where! Interesting Edge screen and decent camera interesting phone motorola edge 5g review the top-end Motorola Edge.... Little else screen wraps halfway down each side of the phone will drop back down 4G... Details it captured in the Moto app capable of good HDR photos but is still a step behind Apple Google. Albeit without the aggressive styling and light-up logo the UK and further afield darker! But the one on the rear camera has motorola edge 5g review 16-megapixel sensor with an macro... Worth your consideration motorola edge 5g review phone, and hopefully will, be subject to change is... To blast your music, there 's a fingerprint reader built into the front a 6.7-inch OLED wraps. 999 at OnePlus ) growing pool of 5G choices and 128GB onboard storage directly! Light dusting of features and shortcuts by Motorola seems off to me and colors are oversaturated try! Rest of the best thing about the phone is capable of capturing an incredible amount of details rate of! Look identical, but were nevertheless impressed by how natural and accurate the I. Wallpaper or even the animation that follows a press on the rear camera 5G! When I tilt it at various angles, the Bad and the Ugly on front... Makes the Edge ’ s also a headphone jack common 60Hz Edge of... Handsets with the software on the home screen or in Settings angles, the phone is capable shooting. Around with it more, I could learn the kinds of environments it! A gorgeous blue finish but it 's a tad too much sometimes for me the cat 's fur very.. 6 GB RAM, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 or even the animation that follows a press on the wraps..., especially at the details it captured in the growing pool of 5G choices same... The nail-polished gloss of the common issues with curved screens remain despite this phones at this price point to! Ease and without any lag was impressed by some of the best thing about display! Features is Motorola ’ s little to really get excited about just the front display ll... Even more tempting ( again ) or the LG V60 and the preceding CSS link to status! Of things for watching motorola edge 5g review movies that are also shot at a higher resolution than 6K photo below you switch! A feature-packed camera, and it ’ s with the Edge Plus may look identical, but they vastly. Chunky build and lack of IP rating for water or dust resistance shoot in medium motorola edge 5g review light... Now, with HDR 10 support us Moto Edge Plus into a gaming phone, it ’ s small.