Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." Trouble Breathing Warn patients not to interrupt or discontinue therapy without physician advice. If experienced, these tend to have a Severe expression 1. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment. But about two months after starting this medication I weighed about 20 pounds more. If the weight gain continues, he or she may also recommend other lifestyle choices or a switch to another medicine. Following abrupt cessation of therapy with certain beta-blocking agents, exacerbations of angina pectoris and, in some cases, myocardial infarction have occurred. Toprol-XL [package insert]. This copyrighted material has been downloaded from a licensed data provider and is not for distribution, except as may be authorized by the applicable terms of use. Available for Android and iOS devices. Some side effects may not be reported. 7 Overweight is now well recognized as an important predictor of overall death. Patients should be warned against interruption or discontinuation of therapy without the physician's advice. Chest Pain. What is Prolomet XL 50? I don't believe that because like I said before, I have four kids, I'm very active. In order for us to create your customized HealthSavvy programs, we need a little more information about the health topic(s) that you are interested in. Also, if you switch from taking a water pill (diuretic) to a beta blocker as a treatment for high blood pressure, you may gain a few pounds of weight that the diuretic kept off. Common metoprolol side effects. Can Type 2 Diabetes Be Controlled With Diet and Exercise Alone? Also, since I had my heartattack I have only had 2 stress tests and that seems odd to me. I was originally on 100mg 2x daily [but this was revised down to 50mg 2x daily approximately 18-20mths ago], Lipitor 80mg daily, Effexor 75mg daily [but this has been terminated] and Diazepam 5mg as required [which means that sometimes I can go a month without requiring one, and then I could go a week and need one daily {and all points in between}]. Related post: Mayo Clinic Q and A: How long do you need beta blockers after a heart attack? Life After a Stent: 5 Realistic Ways to Take Charge of Your Health, eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. The easiest way to lookup drug information, identify pills, check interactions and set up your own personal medication records. and can not lose a ounce. If experienced, these tend to have a Severe expression. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. I've never had a weight issue, even after having four kids. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them: Applies to metoprolol: compounding powder, injectable solution, oral capsule extended release, oral solution, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release, The most common adverse reactions were tiredness, dizziness, depression, shortness of breath, bradycardia, hypotension, diarrhea, pruritus, and rash.[Ref]. 5 6 Another less-appreciated side effect is the propensity to cause weight gain. Applies to metoprolol: oral capsule extended release, oral tablet, oral tablet extended releaseOther dosage forms: 1. intravenous solutionAlong with its needed effects, metoprolol (the active ingredient contained in Metoprolol Tartrate) may cause some unwanted effects. However, my body weight is now fluctuating between 88-90kg. Doctors aren't sure exactly why some beta blockers cause weight gain. The dosage should be gradually reduced over a period of 1 to 2 weeks and the patient should be carefully monitored when discontinuing chronic therapy. One of the arguments put forward against the primary use of β-blockers has been concern about adverse metabolic effects on the lipid profile or on insulin sensitivity. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." Slow Heartbeat If experienced, these tend to have a Less Severe expression 1. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Confusion. Your doctor can help distinguish weight gain from the buildup of fluid that may occur in heart failure. What is Prolomet XL 50? Things to remember when you fill your prescription. Click. If angina markedly worsens or acute coronary insufficiency develops, reinstate administration promptly, at least temporarily, and take other measures appropriate for the management of unstable angina. Find more health and medical information on mayoclinic.org. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects. What is the mechanism of action and what are this medicine side effects? Chronic Trouble Sleeping 2. I have been on a diet that dropped my calory intake by 1/2 and stopped all sugar intake. The dosage should be gradually reduced over a period of 1 to 2 weeks and the patient should be carefully monitored when discontinuing chronic therapy. I still weigh 285. Fatigue. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them: Applies to metoprolol: compounding powder, injectable solution, oral capsule extended release, oral solution, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release, The most common adverse reactions were tiredness, dizziness, depression, shortness of breath, bradycardia, hypotension, diarrhea, pruritus, and rash.[Ref]. WebMD does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. On the few occasions that I did gain weight (usually over the holidays), I was able to diet and exercise and get the weight down to where it should be with no problem. He or she can give you other suggestions for dealing with any weight gain. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Lopressor [package insert]. Fainting. My cardiologist says I need to exercise more and decrease my calories, right now and for the last 2 years, I have been on 1400 calories a day and exercising with a trainer 2x per week and walking the other 5 days (30-60mins.) Very common (10% or more): Heart failure (up to 27.5%), hypotension (systolic blood pressure less than 90 mmHg) (up to 27.4%), bradycardia (heart rate less than 40 beats per minute) (up to 15.9%), Common (1% to 10%): Cold extremities, arterial insufficiency, palpitation, first degree heart block (P-R interval 0.26 seconds or greater), second or third degree heart block, postural disorders, Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Cardiogenic shock in patients with acute myocardial infarction, Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Disturbances of cardiac conduction, cardiac arrhythmia, Very rare (less than 0.01%): Intermittent claudication increased, Frequency not reported: Claudication[Ref], Common (1% to 10%): Diarrhea, nausea, dry mouth, gastric pain, constipation, flatulence, heartburn, abdominal pain, vomiting, Frequency not reported: Retroperitoneal fibrosis[Ref], Common (1% to 10%): Tiredness, peripheral edema, accident and/or injury, death, fatigue, Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Edema, precordial pain, Frequency not reported: Lactic dehydrogenase elevated, Common (1% to 10%): Dizziness, vertigo, stroke, headache, Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Paresthesia, somnolence, impaired concentration, Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Alertness decreased, Very rare (less than 0.01%): Amnesia/memory impairment, tinnitus, taste disturbance, Frequency not reported: Short-term memory loss, Common (1% to 10%): Shortness of breath, wheezing, dyspnea, Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Sweating increased, Very rare (less than 0.01%): Photosensitivity reactions, psoriasis aggravated, gangrene in patients with preexisting severe peripheral circulatory disorders, hyperhidrosis, alopecia[Ref], Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Insomnia, nightmare, Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Nervousness, anxiety, Very rare (less than 0.01%): Confusion, hallucination, personality disorder, disturbances of libido, Frequency not reported: Sleep disturbance[Ref], Very rare (less than 0.01%): Arthralgia, arthritis, Frequency not reported: Musculoskeletal pain[Ref], Frequency not reported: Unstable diabetes, Postmarketing reports: Blood triglycerides increased, high density lipoprotein (HDL) decreased[Ref], Rare (less than 0.1%): Visual disturbance, dry and/or irritated eyes, conjunctivitis, Frequency not reported: Blurred vision[Ref], Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Liver function test abnormalities, Frequency not reported: Transaminase elevated, alkaline phosphatase elevated, Postmarketing reports: Jaundice, non-specific hepatic dysfunction[Ref], Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Impotence/sexual dysfunction, Very rare (less than 0.01%): Peyronie's disease[Ref], Rare (less than 0.1%): Positive antinuclear antibodies[Ref], Very rare (less than 0.01%): Thrombocytopenia, Frequency not reported: Agranulocytosis[Ref]. Applies to metoprolol: oral capsule extended release, oral powder for solution, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release. Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances. version 3.3.6.2.3.2Page loaded in 0.421 seconds. Rapid Weight Gain With Metoprolol Data sources include IBM Watson Micromedex (updated 2 Nov 2020), Cerner Multum™ (updated 2 Nov 2020), ASHP (updated 30 Sep 2020) and others. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Cold hands and feet. Shortness of breath. I see Metoprolol listed among the medicines that some members of our happy fellowship take.