Last year, it was all about Vista. Why do you think I moved to NYC?) Long: You’ll have to print another set for Steve Sinofsky, he won’t be able to understand it. The worst have been when the person was warned about me and came into the interview defensively, ready for war. Template:Characters/Oath of Office Did you study journalism in college or university? Gates and Jobs started chatting. Mary-Jo Foley is on Facebook. You did your homework, Long. So you are the official Microsoft Watcher. Great interview, Long, I love MJ’s work. I'm a person and stuff. Up came Steve Jobs while I was interviewing Gates. . i am a secret MJ fan so no doubt I’m biased. Yes, I was a journalism major in college. How did that title come about? Ah, that’s a long and sordid tale. Different teams have treated me differently. There are so many Softies, former Softies, Softie customers, Softie partners and Softie competitors all over the globe that you can watch Microsoft from anywhere these days. She follows the reporters axiom, that a closed mouth and open ears hear a lot.. She has been known to hang around lunchrooms listening for tidbits of information. I interviewed Bill Gates in 1984 for a cover story for a publication called Electronic Business. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected. I read Foley’s Unblinking Eye column several times per week so it’s really nice to hear where she’s coming from. @Sam: i don’t mind the comments, they’re funny. Wow. Or that other claim you worked in the Microsoft cafeteria? Gates said: “He’s the head of Apple.”. Template:Characters/Line of Sight I wish this blog was updated more often, but I understand you are into app development now. I plan to go around interviewing as many of these peers as possible to find out more about their background, life outside of Microsoft and their darkest Unix fetishes. It’s always interesting to hear from Mary Jo. Do you feel like just putting that all aside someday? This page was last edited on 28 August 2012, at 01:04. And with the Web, it’s pretty easy to keep up with the news, etc. Are there any plans to retire? If you don’t have a TV, you tend to get up and out of the apartment more, I’ve found. Template:Characters/True Faith and Allegiance So for me, the best moments have involved getting new/cool/interesting info and being able to turn it into a scoop. She has actually been blacklisted by Microsoft after reporting three days before the public availability of Windows 2000, which Microsoft advertised as "a standard in reliability," a leaked memo from Microsoft reported on by Mary-Jo Foley revealed that Windows 2000 had "over 63,000 potential known defects. That’ll be comical. Believe it or not, after all these years, I still love breaking a story. You’ve broke some groundbreaking stories. Now look what you’ve done. Are there any especially memorable interviews? We were out in the open in the Microsoft booth. For example, interviewee didn’t have a clue what he or she was talking about? Mary Jo was born on September 9, 1941, in St. Worst moment? Dmitri Yazov, Template:Characters/Clear and Present Danger Speaking of codenames, I am thinking about printing up a set of business cards with “Codename Queen” as the title. Mary Jo Foley is a mainstay of the Microsoft Tech Industry. Gates and Jobs started chatting. Keep up the good work MJ and same to you Long. It’s humbling and exciting. I am just one of a flock. Template:Characters/Enemy Contact. And I know they are doing theirs. Long: Hey Microsoft, if you want to hide secrets from MJ, hold meetings in a car park! Little did they know their answers will help me annihilate them and my other competitors. Template:Characters/Power and Empire Yep, I actually wrote about Microsoft for the very first time in 1984. Luckily, for me at the time, tech was starting to boom in my home state of Massachusetts. Glad I am usually the one asking and not answering the questions. Hello Mary Jo. Everyone is sometimes. She is probably the most knowledgeable Microsoft Tech Reporter due to her strong internal contacts within Microsoft. I was interviewing Gates on the show floor at Comdex in Las Vegas. I had never used a PC when I started out. A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed Norlander’s departure, which was first reported Thursday by ZDNet‘s Mary-Jo Foley. Is it true you imposed as a Microsoft employee and rode the Microsoft bus all day long? You have been assimilated. Mary Jo Foley, or otherwise accurately nicknamed the “Microsoft Watcher” has done both. Gates said: “He’s the head of Apple.” Yeah, not an auspicious beginning…but my very first story on Microsoft came out really well in spite of it all. I hate to drive and am not a good driver. If not, how did you get into journalism? She has been reporting on Microsoft over 25 years in her page at All About Microsoft]. This was good! They know I’m doing my job. So that’s how I ended up a tech reporter. Wow. Mary Jo was born December 15, 1927 in Indianapolis to Daniel and Nora Foley. God I hope not anyway. She probably knows more code-names than exists. No wonder you’re a blogger, you’ll nevefr make it in the real world. Everyone’s still falling for it, even when I tell them outright. There are many Microsoft watchers. I’d rather not name names, in either example, because old Softies never go away — they just come back in new (and usually higher-level) jobs. (Hey, at least I know and admit this. Template:Characters/Clear and Present Danger, Template:Characters/The Sum of All Fears (Film), Template:Characters/Full Force and Effect, Template:Characters/True Faith and Allegiance, https://jackryan.fandom.com/wiki/Mary_Pat_Foley?oldid=22993. Mostly person, sometimes stuff. Long: Hey if you can’t beat them, join them right? I usually do a couple posts and other freelance assignment work and then make breakfast or lunch (depending on how fast I am). Template:Characters/Point of Contact And getting to meet bloggers like you and the folks in the, Inside the Insiders: Mary Jo Foley of “All About Microsoft”, Maryam Scoble who did an excellent video interview, The Media Interview » Blog Archive » Go away, ya bother me… whoever you are, Inside the Insiders: Robert Stein of ActiveWin - istartedsomething. Join Facebook to connect with Mary-Jo Foley and others you may know. But the reason I rode the shuttle was because of my driving ineptitude more than for its tip-gathering potential. I think if I were starting out as a budding journalist these days, I would have double-majored in journalism and some kind of tech field so that I wouldn’t have to start from zero in figuring all this geeky stuff out. If you were a car, which one would you be? I love my job. So we have Paul Thurrott on the consumer side, and Mary-Jo reporting on the enterprise front (which in reality is Microsoft's mainstay), http://wiki.twit.tv/w/index.php?title=Mary-Jo_Foley&oldid=54586. Cloud, to Ralph and Bertha (Kampa) Barthelelmy. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to write about when I graduated. Bob and his wife, Mary Jo, are active in their church contributing to children and family ministries including facilitating a Sunday school class for engaged and young married couples. 1,173 Followers, 185 Following, 224 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from mary jo foley (@mjfoley99) @Sam: Point taken, but I made it quite short and noticeable for people to skip over. I did occasional Microsoft stories for the next several years, but didn’t become a full time Microsoft watcher until the early 1990s. https://www.istartedsomething.com/20070526/inside-insiders-mary-jo-foley Inside the Insiders is a series of interviews with some of the most recognized and outspoken Microsoft influentials, journalists and enthusiasts I know. . They just don’t need to be there. If so, why did you choose journalism? I waited and waited. I was brand new to covering technology. And I don’t have a TV, so that helps lessen a few possible distractions…. Am I that old that you are asking me about retirement? I did ride the corporate shuttle (but not all day long). The interview is about her. Mary Patricia Foley is a character created by Tom Clancy and appears in many of his novels that revolve around the life of Jack Ryan, Sr.. She and her husband Ed Foley were CIA case officers in Moscow, USSR, the early 1980's. She was a graduate of St. Philip Neri School, St. Mary's High School and attended Marian College. How has Microsoft treated you over the years? Mary Jo Foley is a mainstay of the Microsoft Tech Industry. Long: You broke the universe! All of you might want to check out this article: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/13904/. But do we really need all this little ‘aside’ comments of your after almost every answer she gives? Mary Jo Foley’s is just so damn funny or plain stupid! Didn’t you cover Microsoft way back when, like before Windows 95? I make/made stuff people love to use: Any interviews gone horribly wrong? OK. You are putting me on the spot here. Finally I said to Jobs: “Do you think you could come back another time? Thanks MJ. What was the best moment during your time writing about Microsoft? This is a comment on a really old post… but hey, I’ll still comment. You’re really going back. Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat. She is probably the most knowledgeable Microsoft Tech Reporter due to her strong internal contacts within Microsoft. This is an excellent interview Longhorn. Up came Steve Jobs while I was interviewing Gates. And she’s broken several quite infamous Microsoft stories over the years, most negative – but that’s what people want to hear. But Long, you’re such a juvenile bufoon with your two-bit editorially conclusions. Urban legends are a wonderful thing. Finally I said to Jobs: “Do you think you could come back another time? Finally, the answer to why Jobs is so bitter. One of my funniest interview moments happened during the very first time I interviewed Bill Gates. I never flipped a burger in any Microsoft cafeteria — girl scout’s honor! And as for a telescope, who needs one? if this were a comic, the comments would appear in little yellow boxes. It’s not about you, how funny or smart or clever you are. (Yes, I was a child prodigy, for those trying to do the math.) Template:Characters/Commander in Chief I start my day by checking my RSS feeds and surfing the Web to see what’s going on. Melbourne, Australia. Nah — I just decided when I moved to NYC in 1999 that I wanted to force myself to get out and enjoy all the cool things this city offers. Template:Characters/The Sum of All Fears (Film), Template:Characters/Threat Vector Gates was probably trying to talk him out of the computer industry. Looking forward to future interviews so that I can be introduced to more MS news sources! User experience entrepreneur My favorite and most memorable interviews have been when I really clicked with the person I was interviewing. I mean, look forward to seeing you again soon. I feel like blogging has given me a whole new lease on my career. Excellent interview Long! I also had the pleasure of meeting Mary Jo at CES this year and so did Maryam Scoble who did an excellent video interview. I waited and waited. Without a doubt, a chauffeur-driven limo. Dearing, Mary J.-----Mary Jo Dearing 83, of Indianapolis, departed this life April 13, 2011. I’m reading this to learn more about MJ and to read her responses to Long’s (quite good) questions, not his own little asides. I was blacklisted for some things I wrote but I outlasted the blacklisters (or their memories, or both). What type of Microsoft products or services do you have on your radar screen this year? She follows the reporters axiom, that a closed mouth and open ears hear a lot.. What do you think? She married Harvey Mohs on May 30, 1963 at St. John's Catholic Church in Foley… She has been reporting on Microsoft over 25 years in her page at All About Microsoft]. I’m trying to do an interview here.” Gates said to me after Jobs walked off, “Do you know who that was?” I didn’t.