We know from Scripture that the angel Gabriel is a messenger who is entrusted to deliver several important messages on God’s behalf.

Thank you for your support. Was this review helpful to you? Values promoted: forgiveness, importance of family, open communication, balancing work life with personal life. Other products: Apple Computer, Sceptre, Old Forester, The Knot.

All rights reserved. In spite of her misgivings, Rachel accepts. I would definitely lose my voice before the throat was cut but I think that would be the coolest way Father Gabriel could go. Why is it important to be aware of such practices? "Product placement" means that products or services gain exposure by inclusion in filmed entertainment. Sure, it's kinda cliche, but it's a first for me to sit through the whole thing.

Nell Minow reviews movies and DVDs each week as The Movie Mom online and on radio stations across the US. The fun and games of the Caribbean cruise, a tryst with an eager young man (Seth Rogen), and a lot of forced father-daughter time may be just what was needed to make Rachel and Harry a family once again. Marijuana is smoked, as well. Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? The Bible tells us, “And I heard a man’s voice between the banks of the Ulai, and it called, ‘Gabriel, make this man understand the vision.” Gabriel’s appearance was that of a man. And Harry and Rachel bond suspiciously abruptly with the three cute couples assigned to their dinner table on the cruise: one young, one old-timers, and one mid-life newlyweds. Along with a mostly wholesome story, co-writer/director Lauren Miller Rogen has opted to use just enough profanity to make it iffy for younger teens. I really enjoyed the movie. She's devastated but also unnerved when she gets a glimpse of her estranged father, Harry (Kelsey Grammer), among the guests. Father Gabriel and Carson follow the sound, and hallelujah, they find a small cabin nestled in the middle of nowhere!

Gabriel means “God is great,” and, as the angel of the annunciation, he is the one who revealed that the Savior would be called “Jesus” referenced in Luke 1:31. Common Sense and other associated names and logos are trademarks of Common Sense Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (FEIN: 41-2024986). “If there is such a thing as a brand emergency, she would be an EMT.”. Zodiac Sign: Taurus. In July 2017, it was announced that Kristen Bell and Kelsey Grammer would star in Like Father, the directorial debut of Lauren Miller, who also wrote the screenplay.

While there is no record of Gabriel having wings, Scripture also doesn’t say that he didn’t have wings. Our ratings are based on child development best practices. Suggest an update to this review. I'm not a big fan of either lead actors and still enjoyed it!

When a workaholic young executive (Kristen Bell) is left at the altar, she ends up on her Caribbean honeymoon cruise with the last person she ever expected: her estranged and equally work-obsessed father (Kelsey Grammer).

“Like Father” has a similar premise, only more publicly humiliating, with Rachel (Kristen Bell) getting dumped in the middle of the wedding ceremony. Bell and Grammer are consummate pros. It is clear from Scripture that Gabriel’s appearance was rather terrifying, as Daniel fell on his face at the sight of him. A few of them include being God’s messengers and Holy warriors, watching history unfold, praising and worshipping God, and being Guardian Angels – protecting and directing people on God’s behalf. At what point in the story were you aware of how Like Father would end? Travel back in time to check out the early roles of some of Hollywood's heavy hitters. Violet Jones tired of waiting for her longtime boyfriend to propose, breaks up with him. Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations with Common Sense Media Plus. While many angels are referenced in the Bible, Gabriel is one of the two good and holy angels referenced by name which is pretty significant. Gentle stereotypes: tablemates on cruise ship include one gay couple, one African American couple, one elderly Jewish couple. Appealing lead performances, especially by Kristen Bell, who's just right as Rachel, along with the creative team's enthusiasm and competence, don't make up for the formulaic story that unfolds.

Miller deserves credit for giving his character some disheveled charm without making him into an easy happily-ever-after ending for Rachel. In Scripture, we are told that angels have many roles. Your purchase helps us remain independent and ad-free. While many of us recognize the angel Gabriel by name, particularly as it relates to the Christmas story, how much do we really know about him? Reconnecting after 15 years, the two start to wonder - maybe? Get full reviews, ratings, and advice delivered weekly to your inbox. The film stars Kristen Bell, Kelsey Grammer, and Seth Rogen, and follows a woman who must bond with her estranged father on a cruise after she is left at the altar.