Do you believe this?". 6 Dem Governors Responsible 98,000 More Deaths in 2020, Trump Win Vital for Continued US Influence in Mideast, 7 Ways to Enjoy the Pandemic's Silver Lining, Trump Hints at Firing Fauci After Election, Trump Blasts Media for Allowing Hunter Biden Story to Fade Away. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. What about spiritism and communication with the dead? I believe he visited Paradise, where the thief on the cross would eventually go, and that is also probably in Abraham’s presence, as also would have been there David, Moses, and others. Were Jesus and God disagreeing here? “Take the stone away,” Jesus directs. (Jozef Sedmak/Dreamstime). By using our services on or after May 25, 2018, you will be agreeing to these updates. The disciples were confused and thought Christ meant natural sleep, but Caiaphas succeeds in influencing the Sanhedrin to make plans to kill Jesus. The Bible teaches that humans sleep in death until they are resurrected at the end of time. The rebellious dead remain as dust, to be raised after the millennium in the resurrection of those who have rejected God. There will be separate resurrections for the righteous and for the wicked: Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation (John 5:28-29). Jesus​—The Way, the Truth, the Life, Main Events of Jesus’ Earthly Life—Jesus’ Later Ministry East of the Jordan. Jesus had actually meant that he had died and so He plainly tells them that Lazarus is dead (v 14). She expected that, like everyone, Lazarus would remain in the sleep of death until the resurrection at the last day. 55 Now (BV)the Passover of the Jews was near, and many went up to Jerusalem from the country prior to the Passover, (BW)in order to [s]purify themselves. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die” (v 25). The Pharisees and the chief priests hold a meeting of the Jewish high court, the Sanhedrin. That body includes the high priest, Caiaphas. What reveals the wickedness of members of the Sanhedrin? But others go off and tell the Pharisees what Jesus has done. Do you believe this?”, “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”, After she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. Sure, the Resurrection of Jesus makes all good things possible for us. Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. It is when a person walks at night that they stumble, for they have no light.”, After he had said this, he went on to tell them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.”, His disciples replied, “Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.”. He wanted to give conclusive proof that He is the resurrection, the truth, and the life (John 14:6). Jesus resurrected Lazarus after he had been dead four days. Our relationship to the God who transfigures us, gives us the living water of grace, bathes us in the light of faith, and rescues us from the clutches of death. Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. At that time, Jesus will even defeat death itself (Rev. If you have not already done so, will you come to Jesus today?eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'whatchristianswanttoknow_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_7',119,'0','0'])); Tagged as: Martha's affirmation that she does indeed believe, "Yes, Lord. The only other time this happens in the entire gospel is in the explanation the author of the Gospel gives for writing his Gospel at the very end. This story helps us to come to a deeper faith. Even so, Jesus wept with them (v 35). Jesus insisted and when the stone was rolled away, Jesus lifted His eyes toward heaven and said “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. ", When they arrive in Bethany, Lazarus has been dead and buried for four days. But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you” (v 21-22). Others might have asked him about the afterlife. { 5 comments… read them below or add one }. Jesus told Martha that Lazarus would rise again but Martha thought that He meant in the coming resurrection (v 24-25). Caiaphas, a Sadducee, now speaks up, saying: “You do not know anything at all, and you have not reasoned that it is to your benefit for one man to die in behalf of the people rather than for the whole nation to be destroyed.”​—John 11:49, 50; Acts 5:17; 23:8. (This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair. Someday He will shout “come forth” and all who are in their graves and are asleep in the Lord will rise again — some to eternal life and some to eternal judgment (Dan 12:2). They also “sit shiva” three times each day. In view of Caiaphas’ sacred office, God causes him to say this​—he does not do so “of his own originality.” Caiaphas means that Jesus should be killed to prevent him from further undermining the authority and influence of the Jewish religious leaders. Hugh Duffy holds a Ph.D. from the University of Hull, England. This story helps us to come to a deeper faith. According to John, Jesus receives a message that Lazarus is ill, and his two sisters are seeking his help. story of Lazarus, Oops! http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/jesus-raises-lazarus-bible-story-summary/, “some to eternal life and some to eternal judgement (Dan 12:22)”. Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. So the stone is removed. In fact, if Jesus had not mentioned Lazarus by name and specifically call out “Lazarus”, all who were in their graves would have come out and been raised to life because Jesus has that power as God. 14 So Jesus then said to them plainly, “Lazarus died, 15 and I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, so that you may believe; but let’s go to him.” 16 (P)Therefore Thomas, who was called [f](Q)Didymus, said to his fellow disciples, “Let’s also go, so that we may die with Him!”, 17 So when Jesus came, He found that he had already been in the tomb (R)four days. Both the Old and New Testaments are very clear on the issue of resurrection. Jesus assures Martha that her brother will rise again and states: "I am the resurrection and the life. when the apostles misunderstand, he clarifies, "Lazarus is dead, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. Although she has faith in Jesus, her faith is weak. NASB, Journal the Word Reference Bible, Red Letter Edition, 1995 Text, Comfort Print: Let Scripture Explain Scripture. Keep discussions on topic, avoid personal attacks and threats of any kind. 18 Now (S)Bethany was near Jerusalem, about [g]fifteen stadia away; 19 and many of (T)the Jews had come to (U)Martha and Mary, (V)to console them about their brother. The Jewish religious leaders would not accept that as conclusive evidence for Jesus actually raising them from the dead so this may be why Jesus waited a full four days to resurrect Lazarus. I hope this makes sense. So they took away the stone. If Lazarus had indeed been somewhere in the afterlife during those four days, wouldn't he have said something? Here’s why: Notice in the article that Jesus insisted that the stone be rolled away and when the stone was rolled away, Jesus lifted His eyes toward heaven and said “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. "On His arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days" (John 11:17 NIV). 31 (AJ)Then the Jews who were with her in the house and were (AK)consoling her, when they saw that Mary had gotten up quickly and left, they followed her, thinking that she was going to the tomb to weep there. 54 Therefore Jesus (BT)no longer continued to walk publicly among the Jews, but went away from there to the region near the wilderness, into a city called (BU)Ephraim; and there He stayed with the disciples. Thank you for your continued partnership. It is something to which to look forward. The Father and the Son of God, Jesus always agree for Jesus said that He came to do the will of the Father so there is no discrepancy. This is truly the new life which the Resurrection signifies. The irony is that Jesus would later be resurrected from the dead after being in the grave for three days. 36 So (AR)the Jews were saying, “See how He (AS)loved him!” 37 But some of them said, “Could this man, who (AT)opened the eyes of the man who was blind, not have also [l]kept this man from dying?”, 38 So Jesus, again being deeply moved within, *came to the tomb. Christ will recreate the righteous dead, or "dead in Christ." That is what I think about it. Sunday School Lesson, Jack Wellman is a father and grandfather and a Christian author, freelance writer, and pastor of Central Christian Church in Lincoln, KS & also a Prison Minister. Jesus said I am the way, the truth, and the life. Thanks for supporting Amazing Discoveries by using our products and services. Do you believe this?” 27 She *said to Him, “Yes, Lord; I have come to believe that You are (AE)the [i]Christ, the Son of God, and [j](AF)He who comes into the world.”. Jesus and Lazarus together attract the attention of many Jews and the narrator states that the chief priests consider having Lazarus put to death because so many people have come to believe in Jesus on account of his raising Lazarus. Thanks for stopping by! It is found in John chapter eleven. “But, Lord,” said Martha, the sister of the dead man, “by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days.”, Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?”. When the Jews who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there. If you are outside of the EU these new data laws do not affect you.  |  The resurrection of Lazarus illustrates this Biblical truth. Jesus has cleared the way. That Lazarus has been raised from the dead is a real blow to the Sadducees, who do not believe in the resurrection. If not, please let me know and thank you for your question. “Take away the stone,” he said. 22 Even now I know that (AA)whatever You ask of God, God will give You.” 23 Jesus *said to her, “Your brother will rise from the dead.” 24 Martha *said to Him, “(AB)I know that he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her, “(AC)I am the resurrection and the life; the one who believes in Me will live, even if he dies, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in Me (AD)will never die. You might be surprised at who will be brought back to life. It was the Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die” (v 25). Compiled & Edited by BibleStudyTools Staff, Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Complete), Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, Sermon on the Mount - Bible Story Verses & Meaning, The Prodigal Son Parable - Bible Story Verses & Meaning, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Copyright © 2020 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. That He is God and has the power of life and death. When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home. “God loves each of us as if there were only one of us"- Augustine, Copyright © 2010-2020 Telling Ministries LLC. Fr. "Beloved" was a special term of endearment used by the early Christians. To which Jesus responds, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?