You might know comedian Colin Jost from his work as the co-anchor of Saturday Night Live’s Weekend Update, or perhaps you know him as Scarlett... To see what your friends thought of this book, The Christmas Story by Jean Shepard – narrated by Dick Cavett- is a 2004 RH audio publication. I had no idea the movie A Christmas Story was based on a book until I saw this while scrolling through Scribd. Most of you will recognize this title as one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time. I loved reading about the hijinks of his childhood. The primary difference between the two is that the events in the book are more a disconnected set of stories, rather than events woven together to make it flow. Refresh and try again. I'm a huge fan of the movie, it's an integral part of my Christmas tradition, so I was happy to read this book. gun … The story is a giddy joy from start to finish. I know, quite a rarity, but in my humble opinion, true. With a career that spanned decades, Shepherd is best known to modern audiences for the film A Christmas Story (1983), which he narrated and co-scripted, based on his own semi-autobiographical stories. Taking bits and pieces from his own life, he weaved tales of the joys, humor, intrigue and angst of growing up. The short pieces contained here and from which the movie was based were originally published in two other Shepherd collections – "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash" and "Wanda Hickey’s Night of Golden Memories." Simply the best Christmas tale. Wodehouse. Every Christmas the husbeast puts this movie on for all to see, on replay, all day. (Read from the book, published in 1983), Only within the last year or two did I realize that the 1983 holiday film, A Christmas Story, was based on a series of short stories penned by radio personality Jean Shepherd. ”, This Just In: ‘SNL’ Star Colin Jost Is Seriously Bookish. I hate to admit this, but I think "A Christmas Story"the movie, is better than the book. He was a master story teller in the league of Mark Twain, S.J. “I had woven a tapestry of obscenity that as far as I know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan. It contains 26 satirical stories that lampoon phrenologists, idealists, snobs, fanatics and other ignorant fools of the day, most of which still wander through our modern lives. An update on major political events, candidates, and parties twice a week. Looking for something to watch? If you've binged every available episode of the hit Disney Plus series, then we've got three picks to keep you entertained. Raised in Hammond, Indiana, Jean Shepherd went on to work in the steel mills and was a veteran of the Army Signal Corps before entering the arts. We jumped. This is actually a series of short stories about Shepherd's childhood with his gruff father, stay-at-home mom, and younger brother. Your session to The Christian In the 1950s, he began a long career as a radio personality telling stories of his youth, commenting on current topics and performing silly songs. I'm reading this again for the holidays.