Part nautical yarn, part court-room drama, I was utterly swept up in the story once I got the feel of the tone of the writing. 0000002590 00000 n I had to search out some place-names, learn some geography, look at the Minkies on a map of the English channel to discover they were nearly to France. The last third, much like the first, has quite a bit of suspense, action, and above average special effects. The captain of the Mary Deare, Gideon Patch, tells Sands his story and in the end, the ship is scuttled and sinks. This is not only one of the four or five great sea adventure novels, but one of the four or five great adventure tales of our times. There's also some more dull sections touching on English maritime law and the like but it's nice to have a break from the cold water of the ocean now and again. 0000007905 00000 n 0000006495 00000 n I had a hard time following this one. The lawyer then announces that the Mary Deare has been found by a survey from the air, and a French salvage crew is now working to refloat it and take it to shore. Hammond Innes. Well watch the movie and learn for yourself. He was staring past my left shoulder, staring at something astern of us on the port quarter. Sands tries to get back to his own ship, the Sea Witch, and cannot because of the storm; Patch saves his life by pulling him back onto the Mary Deare. 0000007926 00000 n I'm a bit biased when it comes to some of these older thrillers and this story is no exception. Who is that man? Sands reluctantly joins him in running the ship, with much effort in the flooded engine room, onto a reef in the Minquiers. I don't know as I'd actively go out and seek to read any more of this author's work, but this is compelling stuff and I binge-read it in 2 hours on a train to London. 1956 A disgraced merchant marine officer elects to stay aboard his sinking cargo ship in order to prove the vessel was deliberately scuttled and, as a result, vindicate his good name. Ralph Hammond Innes was an English novelist who wrote over 30 novels, as well as children's and travel books.He was awarded a C.B.E. The Wreck of the Mary Deare is a very good film, though perhaps not great. Janet, who suspects the owner's party, tells Patch that Higgins will be on board when the ship floats, and Patch realizes that in its weakened condition it will be easy for one man to sink it in deep water, so that it will never be known that the engines are missing. The novel was optioned by MGM with the intention of having Alfred Hitchcock direct and Cooper star. "The door of the charthouse slammed back to give me a glimpse of the lit saloon and against it loomed Mike Duncan's oilskin-padded bulk, holding a steaming mug in either hand. A medical student with a club foot falls for a beautiful but ambitious waitress. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The owner of the ship, the insurance company and the salvage company put pressure on Patch and Sands, who remains Patch's ally, but Patch insists on a board of inquiry. He visits Captain Taggart's daughter Janet, who lets him borrow a page of a letter from her father that mentions being anchored for days beside another ship in the harbour at Rangoon. 0000008870 00000 n Need another excuse to treat yourself to a new book this week? Believing in Patch, but wi. | 31.10.2020 rygo 0 Comments. Why is he the only one of board? The story commences with Sands, a man who has just started a shipwreck salvage firm, trying to sail a wrecked boat across the English channel in a gal. So was this all a huge insurance scam? W. One night, three men on a large sailboat are nearly plowed under by a runaway freighter that, they saw, had no one manning the wheel in the freighter’s pilothouse. The judges do not allow Patch to read his version of events into the record. Higgins has seen Patch's and Sands' underwater lights as they entered through the hole. 0000002975 00000 n Got interesting in the last 30 pages or so (two men fighting the cold and the merciless sea) but that was a couple of hundred of pages too late. At least his lack of overall emotion seems to work here. It was an interesting insight into the special effects game on the high seas.Fans of both Cooper and Heston will like this film. ', One night, three men on a large sailboat are nearly plowed under by a runaway freighter that, they saw, had no one manning the wheel in the freighter’s pilothouse. The story unfolds as Sands becomes more involved with the uncommunicative but intense Patch and his seemingly Quixotic quest to save the Mary Deare and clear his own name. I don't recall much of this book, but it was good enough to keep to own after I read it. A boat containing the officers who were not allies of Higgins was lost, and they are claiming Patch was responsible for the deaths of those men. Synopsis Parents Guide, Tom Zoerner . (1959). It is fairly hard to tell it is a model, and only the close ups on the waves crashing over the ship betray this fact (well, that and logic). He's doing this because he suspects skullduggery from the crew and the late captain of the Mary Deare.Americans Cooper and Heston are given good support by a cast of players from the UK such as Emlyn Williams, Michael Redgrave, Alexander Knox, and Mary Ure. Looking for some great streaming picks? It's a seafaring/ mystery classic -- a thrilling tale wrapped around a boat and sailors at risk in Force 10 weather in the English Channel. This FAQ is empty. Five years after George Radcliffe was the chief witness in a high profile murder case, his wife receives a blackmailing letter accusing him of the crime. For a land-lubber who’s only sea-faring experience is a few long off-shore jaunts on deep-sea fishing boats, a couple of yacht trips, and the growl of coastal ferries, its difficult to grasp all the sea-farer lingo. View production, box office, & company info. An excellent sea adventure story by a master of the genre. Character study of a Doctor who saves a local criminal from a mob who are trying to hang him, but then tries to control the life of the young man, realizing that he can exploit his secret. Riveting tale of a rusty old ship, captained by a man unwilling to let his command be spoiled by abandonment of his crew during a suspicious fire. I didn't get too far with this one when I first tried it some years back, but on impulse decided to have another go at it. Check out some of the IMDb editors' favorites movies and shows to round out your Watchlist. Also, it reads as a bit dated (but then it was written during the 50s). 0000009753 00000 n Many years ago I saw a picture of MGM's special effects man Buddy Gillespie inside the tank with the model of the Mary Deare. During this Heston begins to get glimpses of an odd and perhaps unbelievable story which brought the Mary Deare  to where she is today. [4][5] There were long delays in filming due to Gary Cooper's ill health, although he was not diagnosed with cancer until the spring of 1960. | In the English Channel, John Sands (Charlton Heston), from a small rescue ship, finds the freighter Mary Deare drifting. Also good for the eyes is the absence of any contrived love story to detract from the proceedings. Add the first question. He refuses to let the ship be claimed for salvage, and insists on running it onto rocks in the dangerous region of the Minquiers, so that it will stay above water until an official inspection by a board of inquiry in England. Who is that man? 'Can't be the moon, can it? 0000010622 00000 n In the English Channel, John Sands (Charlton Heston), from a small rescue ship, finds the freighter Mary Deare drifting. Refresh and try again. A disgraced merchant marine officer elects to stay aboard his sinking cargo ship in order to prove the vessel was deliberately scuttled and, as a result, … Add a stirring musical score, a love interest and a modicum of humor, and this film could have been a big hit in 1959. The two ship's captains begin a friendship that starts with saving the ship they are now trapped on together. As the three were salvagers, one man (John Sands) managed to get on board the freighter before a storm separated the two ships. 0000002224 00000 n Charlton Heston comes across the seemingly abandoned Mary Deare adrift in a storm in the English Channel. Thoroughly enjoyed this rollicking seafaring adventure. Sands can't get back to his tug boat and stays with Patch while Patch grounds the Mary Deare. New evidence helps solve the mystery of the sea's most famous "ghost ship." 0000002403 00000 n He knows his ships and dangerous waters and that's worth two stars. Sands boards it hoping to claim it for salvage, but finds the first officer, Gideon Patch, still aboard and … %PDF-1.2 %���� Sands can't get back to his tug boat and stays with Patch while Patch grounds the Mary Deare. It's a stirring tale; I must admit I became irritated with Patch's continued irrational refusal to provide Sands with the information which would justify his involvement, but I guess that's Innes's way of heightening the suspense. Two-Time Oscar Winner Cooper on TCM: Pro-War 'York' and Eastwood-Narrated Doc, British Film Noir Collection | DVD Review, Chance to Check Out Heston Directing Self in 'Man" Remake, Tom Zoerner , Destination Hitchcock: The Making of 'North by Northwest'. I pretty much enjoy any story that mixes up hard times with a steam engine with a pressure gauge pushing into the red. The Wreck Of The Mary Deare A Story of the Sea. Sands can't get back to his tug boat and stays with Patch while Patch grounds the Mary Deare. Later the insurance found out that the aeroplane-engines had been sold to the Chinese. Although there's only a little fire, the whole crew seems to have left the ship. 0000004677 00000 n I never thought that I would like sea stories, but I loved this one, and after reading it I began picking up sea adventures. It looks like we don't have a Synopsis for this title yet. Gideon Patch, the haunted master of the. The story of the Mary Deare and the mystery that took place upon her final voyage. Finally off the ship, now they are in a courtroom to determine the causes of all the disasters and. (adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle||[]).push({}); The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) with Michael Rennie, Three Selected Films about the Last Days of Adolf Hitler, Moonstruck (1987) with Cher and Nicolas Cage, The Night of the Generals (1967) with Peter O’Toole, Rooster Cogburn (1975) with John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn, Hopscotch (1980) starring Walter Matthau, Glenda Jackson and Ned Beatty, The War Wagon (1967) starring Kirk Douglas, John Wayne and Howard Keel, The Body Snatcher (1945) starring Boris Karloff, Henry Daniell and Bela Lugosi, Coma (1978) starring Geneviève Bujold, Michael Douglas and Richard Widmark.