While appraising this scenario, a reader would validly surmise that the home of these relatives is significantly far from the home of Emily's mother. 1, 1976, pp. Tillie Olson’s “I Stand Here Ironing” is a story told from the perspective of a young mother during the Great Depression. Tillie Olson’s “I Stand Here Ironing” is a story told from the perspective of a young mother during the Great Depression. The story “I Stand Here Ironing” by Tillie Olsen tells the tale of a mother and her daughter. You can get your custom paper from The woman reflects on the hardships she faced while raising her first-born child, Emily. The mother has let her life play out without making any attempts at changing it, and hopes her daughter will be different from her and take control of her own life. How about make it original at only $13.9/page? Nevertheless, these neighbors take care of Emily. The mother has let her life play out without making any attempts at changing it, and hopes her daughter will be different from her and take control of her own life. Is she really this awful mother who only took care of her daughter, Emily, half of the time? It has all the symbolism of being a true feminist short story. Although not in the same time period, hard working single mothers are able to relate to the short story in today’s times, with fictional elements that include the characters, the setting, and the point of view from the narrator, as it shows the choices that were made and consequences that happened afterwards, leaving the narrator wondering what if and could have been. Olsen’s most famous short story, “I Stand Here Ironing,” is known for its adverse symbols, point of view, and themes. This phrase is almost whispered by the narrator of I Stand Here Ironing, Tillie Olsen, and also by many other mothers going through an important stage in their lives. The woman reflects on the hardships she faced while raising her first-born child, Emily. While reviewing this situation, a reader would validly hold that the duty of bringing up children is shared by various members of a community To further illustrate that the duty of bringing up children is communal, Emily remains under the care of some unidentified neighbors when the mother goes out looking for work. We use cookies to give you the best experience possible. The mother has resigned herself to the life she now lives, and that she will never be more than a mother at an ironing board. The story “I Stand Here Ironing” by Tillie Olsen tells the tale of a mother and her daughter. By recalling and gathering all memories between her and Emily, the narrator realizes, Women have for many years struggled with balancing the demands of home, children and work. The mother’s experiences were common to many women. Rather than help women achieve self-actualization, motherhood actually strands women in lives laden with toil and excessive responsibility. It may seem like an unwanted phrase to many, but it has deep meaning behind it. The mother has let her life play out without making any attempts at changing it, and hopes her daughter will be different from her and take control of her own life. your own paper. In this regard, a particular charity-funded convalescent facility takes Emily in to ensure she recovers from measles. “I Stand Here Ironing.” Retrieved from producer.csi.edu/cdraney/2010/278/resources/olsen_ironing.pdf, Remember. Retrieved from https://phdessay.com/stand-here-ironing/, We use cookies to give you the best experience possible. Emotional support also plays an important role of Emily’s well being. You will need a works cited page (MLA format), in which you cite the short story. Case in point, when reviewing the two literary works “I Stand Here, Essay on I Stand Here Ironing by Tillie Olsen. “I Stand Here Ironing” written by Tillie Olsen is a short story that reflects on the struggles of a single mother who looks back on the past and tries to assess the effect her decisions and circumstances had on her young daughter, Emily. Another approach to thematic analysis is to illustrate three methods by which an author develops a theme. To this end, Emily's mother evidently brings Emily to the father's relatives. Given this analysis, it is clear that these relatives are different from Emily's mother in the social sense.