Any comments on this site are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. There is no medical benefit for doing so, and it's only because people have come to expect a breed to look a certain way. Skylocke Dobermans Disclaimer: This procedure works for some…..it may not work for you…. A domed-shape scab will form within a day or so. The tool is then pulled away and the ring easily “rolls” into the space between the joints in the tail. This must be removed once it begins to pull away from the edge of the tail tip (no feeling to the puppy). How long would this take? Copyright © Doberman Pinscher Club of America. They were told by the breeder that they had "docked" the tail themselves. What you WILL get is a gooey mess under the scab and the tip’s REFUSAL to heal properly or quickly. Plenty of neglect, some malpractice, carelessness, stupidity, and lots of things that aren't the fault of an owner. First scab has been removed, second is shrinking and drawing the hair and skin into a tiny dot on the end of the tail. But maybe even if docking doesn’t do any good, it also doesn’t do any harm. Banded tails do not heal and cover as quickly as docking, but it’s just so much easier on both puppy and breeder. She was about six or seven weeks old and when I saw her this is what the tail looked like. The puppy’s tail may be amputated surgically, or the breeder may fit a tight elastic band around the tail to cut off circulation. Hi, I know a breeder (former breeder) who was convinced of docking tails via rubber band, the guy brought his tools over and did it on his own puppy and then the "former breeder" allowed him to do it on 5 other dogs. It’s also argued that because puppies often suckle immediately after docking, they must not be in pain. Any “cosmetics” can be done by the vet at cropping. She also volunteered with Pet Help Partners, a program of the Humane Society of the United States that works to prevent pet relinquishment. There are two methods. I have to say that the worst ones were the ones vet-docked and banded too early. Schnoodles. In Sept 2020, the judges education committee presented an AKC webinar on judging the Doberman. They ended up with really sad looking tails that were pointed and ugly. It’s not for everyone….and if it’s done improperly, it can damage the pup. Click here to get started! The procedure takes no more than a minute or two in skilled hands, and within a few minutes afterwards the puppy is acting normal. The most common is to tie a rubber band tightly around the tail at the desired level and just leave it there. Still, 24 shrieks and 18 whimpers are a lot of puppy ow. Cutting is done at 2-4 days of age. Photo of how the tails appear when they fall off. Relying on any information provided by this website is solely at your own risk. Trust me…..remove that scab. Without blood supply the tissues die. Recently a client brought in their brand new puppy. I have wanted to be a vet for years, and aft... Stefanie emailed this question... Just after Christmas, I adopted a blue heeler mix from a rescue group. All the puppy feels if this is done properly is a slight momentary amount of pressure on his tail. It must be big enough for the rubber ring to do the job for which it is intended, and yet the tails cannot be over-large, or the pressure will be uncomfortable for the puppy. But there are older "country" or "redneck" ways to dock a tail. Either some surgical skin glue/adhesive or a quick stich are used to close the wound, and the puppy is put back with the mother. In the U.S., docking is usually done by the puppy’s breeder. Puggles. Let me pause for a moment to describe exactly what tail docking is. They had picked her up just a few hours before and noticed that something wasn't normal with the tail. The tail tip is SHRINKING ALREADY, just 3 hours later. The black pup I’m using for an illustration below lost the tail on day three. I am a fai... We're very spoiled in modern Western civilization. In these circumstances, eating and sleeping may be “displacement behaviors,” normal behaviors that show up at unexpected times, as a response to stress. Judy has been asked NUMEROUS times how the banding is done because people have seen the end results of her finished tails and have asked how they do it. You are not getting closure of the skin so a combination of dead/dying tissue and open wounds results in a high risk of infection. The Neosporin wards off any possible infection and the powder begins the drying and shrinking process. Tail dropped off on day 10 – this is JUST after it came off. Why are some dogs’ tails cut? I've seen a lot of bad things in my 30+ years in veterinary medicine. This open area is slipped up over the puppy’s tail while at the same time, the skin on the tail is slightly pulled back toward the body. This is an ELASTRATOR tool. The blood supply to the end of the tail is immediately cut off and the tail begins to shrink and waste away. Here's one from Crystal. Our tails usually begin to drop off anywhere from day three to day five. If you look closely, you will see a teensie little depression in the center of the tip of the tail. By cropping time, the tails will look quite nice. We are not responsible for any mistakes you may make with your own puppies. I've become used to handling situations like these, and even perhaps a little jaded from so many years of seeing them. The following pictures and comments are intended ONLY to clarify how banding of Doberman puppy tails are done by Keith & Judy Pritchard at Skylocke Dobermans. Puppies being docked shrieked and whimpered an average of 42 times during the procedure. As I said above…..any necessary tail cosmetics can b Here’s the tail at 30 days. Yorkiepoos. Jolanta holds professional certifications in both training and behavior counseling and belongs to the Association of Professional Dog Trainers and the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants. Doing this is exactly the same as if you tied a rubber band around your pinkie finger and it eventually fell off. As you can see in the photos above, the little rubber “donut” shaped ring is placed over the prongs on the tool and then the tool is squeezed to open the prongs, spreading the rubber ring open. It’s primary use is to DOCK lambs and to castrate young farm animals by placing the rubber ring over their testicles while they are still very immature. The band constricts blood flow. NO pain…..NO stress….NO Mom worrying stitches or glue….NO upset of any kind. There are two methods. He's Neutered, So Why Is My Dog's Penis Swollen? The tails is snipped off with sterilized scissors. Should they be? There are two ways to dock a puppies tail: cutting and banding. The procedure takes no more than a minute or two in skilled hands, and within a few minutes afterwards the puppy is acting normal. Now back to the puppy. Click here to watch the webinar! The ring is placed just inside the rust color and then the tool is gently allowed to close the … Once this initial dome-shaped scab is removed, the tail will instantly begin to heal and close up at the tip. Can you see how cruel and ridiculous this is? It’s actually a very short time in the life of a puppy. I have other emails that readers have sent me that are older than Mandie's, but hers really struck my interest, and is something I'... Stefanie asked a good question... What is the recommendation for feeding and exercising a dog - especially for deep-chested breeds that ar... Labradoodles. Last week, I described the arguments and claims in favor of tail docking and concluded that they don’t hold water. We prefer to NOT have any discomfort at all if we can manage it. e taken care of easily at cropping time…..IF the tail is left long enough. The puppies did settle down a maximum of 15 minutes later, so the pain may be short-lived. I’ve also seen vet-docked tails that were seriously ugly and bald. So… if you truly want to band your babies, do it carefully…..and remember: Too long is better than too short. But Be Advised : We are not responsible for any mistakes you may make with your own puppies. At this point, you generously apply some Neosporin and some antiseptic powder. The judges education committee created this How To Judge The Doberman video Click here to watch the video! This must be removed once it begins to pull away from the edge of the tail tip (no feeling to the puppy). There is no feeling in the spot on the end of the tail……the pup is oblivious to it. If the tail is particularly thick you may not even get complete destruction of all tissue, leaving some muscle and the bone while the skin falls off. This hurts very briefly and there is minimal bleeding. And many others. This page or procedure is NOT intended to put down anyone else’s methods or beliefs. Always check with your own vet before using any information learned here or trying any treatments on your own. The black pup I’m using for an illustration below lost the tail on day three. This is where everything is being drawn toward. Healing nicely, even though it still is not completely covered over. We can show you how we do it….we can “suggest”, but we cannot guarantee that it will work for you and your babies. It's not natural for tissues to die in that amount, and restricted blood flow is not healthy. That's bone sticking out. The most common is to tie a rubber band tightly around the tail at the desired level and just leave it there. Pulling back the curtain on veterinary life since 2008. Copyright © 2020 Macmillan Holdings, LLC. The Dog Trainer discusses  3 arguments against tail docking. I'm an undergrad student at Allegheny College. What about puppies specifically? (Available at almost any feed store.). Yes, We Really Do Need To See Your Pet For Prescri... Rubber Band Tail Docks.....How To P*** Off A Vet, Fatty Liver Syndrome, Feeding Tubes, And Guilt. Is Charging For Prescriptions Legal Or Ethical. First, it's often done on older puppies who have thicker tails with more tissue. But there are older "country" or "redneck" ways to dock a tail. But even so, stop and think for a minute. The tail dies and drops off. Long can be fixed. This claim is countered by studies showing that young animals and babies may eat more or have so-called “sleeping fits” after known painful experiences. Her approach is generally behaviorist (Pavlovian, Skinnerian and post-Skinnerian learning theory) with a big helping of ethology (animal behavior as observed in non-experimental settings). Doberman puppy tails are usually done at about day 7-10, depending on the size of the tail itself. Typically this is done in certain breeds when a dog is three to five days old.