Deut. The following cookies are also needed - You can choose if you want to allow them: You can read about our cookies and privacy settings in detail on our Privacy Policy Page. 24:6 "Woe" This interjection (BDB 17, cf. At that time your mouth will be opened; you will speak with him and will no longer be silent.

▣ "Until I have spent My wrath on you" The verb (lit.

Therefore, these opening chapters of Ezekiel deal quite often with symbolic action. 24:7 This seems to refer to the openness and flagrant nature (i.e., "places it on a bare rock," i.e., in the sight of all) of Israel's sin. Note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our websites and the services we are able to offer. However, they will be destroyed and YHWH will choose to work with and restore the early exiles! Fill it with the best of these bones; take the pick of the flock. Sunday, November 20, 2016 – Christ the King A "I'll do it myself." Due to security reasons we are not able to show or modify cookies from other domains.

for the city to fall. 13In your filthiness is lewdness. One verse per line ... 24 Ezekiel will be a sign to you; you will do just as he has done. Then the people asked me, “Won’t you tell us what these things have to do with us? Grieving over them would imply that the judgment was not deserved, appropriate, and necessary (cf. Font Size. Judah's stubborn rebellion (cf. You, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit are priority in interpretation. II Kgs. 10:34, 4. determining who would live in the rebuilt Jerusalem, Neh. 1. put on the pot, BDB 1046, KB 1636, Qal imperative, v. 3, 2. put it on, BDB 1046, KB 1636, Qal imperative, v. 3, 3. pour, BDB 427, KB 428, Qal imperative, v. 3, 4. put (lit. He is married to the former Peggy Rutta and they have three children and six grandchildren. 7For her blood is in her midst; She placed it on the bare rock; She did not pour it on the ground To cover it with dust. These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our website is being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customize our website and application for you in order to enhance your experience. Ezekiel's grief (i.e., v. 22) over the loss of his wife parallels YHWH's grief over the loss of His wife (i.e., Judah).

39:1; 52:4). 12:16). Each of us must walk in the light we have.

Then set the empty pot on the coals till it becomes hot and its copper glows, so that its impurities may be melted and its deposit burned away. 26:39.

This is not the world God intended it to be! 2:5,6,8; 3:9,26,27; 12:2[twice],3,9,25; 17:12; Isa. 24:3-5 This first poetic stanza has several commands from YHWH which set the stage for the parable/proverb. The remainder was poured out at the base of the altar of sacrifice or (2) the proper slaughter of wild animals to be consumed (cf.

"fall," BDB 656, KB 709, Qal perfect) was used of casting lots to know YHWH's will. Commentary on Ezekiel 24:1-14 (Read Ezekiel 24:1-14) The pot on the fire represented Jerusalem besieged by the Chaldeans: all orders and ranks were within the walls, prepared as a prey for the enemy.

Thus you will be a sign to them, and they shall know that I am the LORD.’”. 2:6,8). 14I, the Lord, have spoken; it is coming and I will act. No one could do it as well as he could.

Copyright © 2012 Bible Lessons International, Bob was born in 1947 in Houston, Texas. 24:3 "speak a parable" This (BDB 605, KB 647) is a Qal imperative. On that day your mouth will be opened to him who has escaped; you shall speak and no longer be mute: There was, in some sense, a restriction on the distribution of Ezekiel’s message that waited for Jerusalem to finally fall. 24:1 This is the fourth date (cf. The delight of your soul, that which delighted them most. 3:26). This dates the beginning of the siege of Jerusalem (cf. a. 16:23; Jer. 9:5-6,13; 10:16; 31:27) has been continual and purposeful!

24:11 The empty pot (cf.

You will not mourn and you will not weep, but you will rot away in your iniquities and you will groan to one another. Judah had substituted devotion to a building for their devotion to YHWH (cf.

Ezekiel 24:21 " Speak unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will profane my sanctuary, the excellency of your strength, the desire of your eyes, and that which your soul pitieth; and your sons and your daughters whom ye have left shall fall by the sword. "

Because I would have cleansed you, Yet you are not clean, You will not be cleansed from your filthiness again Until I have spent My wrath on you. I think YHWH chose Israel with all her weaknesses to clearly reveal His faithfulness in the stark light of their unfaithfulness! You will keep your turbans on your heads and your sandals on your feet. Salem Media Group. So you will be a sign to them, and they will know that I am the LORD.”, Scripture quoted by permission. 1:13, 14). Chuck Smith :: Sermon Notes for Ezekiel 24:16 ← Back to Chuck Smith's Bio & Resources "KNOWING GOD" I. These books were, at some point, the collected and arranged prophecies of Ezekiel.

A. In all their unexpressed sorrow, there would be a revelation of the Lord GOD. Click to enable/disable Google Analytics tracking. 1. dividing the Promised Land among the tribes, Num. 17:13). The sons and daughters you left behind will fall by the sword. 19The people said to me, "Will you not tell us what these things that you are doing mean for us?" If you do not want that we track your visit to our site you can disable tracking in your browser here: We also use different external services like Google Webfonts, Google Maps, and external Video providers. “ ‘For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: “ ‘Woe to the city of bloodshed, to the pot now encrusted, whose deposit will not go away! You can also change some of your preferences. Therefore, He will not (i.e., Jer. So heap on the wood and kindle the fire. All rights reserved worldwide. ▣ "rust" This Hebrew word is uncertain ((BDB 316, KB 315). The parable of the boiling cauldron.

22You will do as I have done; you will not cover your mustache and you will not eat the bread of men. 24 Thus Ezekiel will be a sign to you; according to all that he has done you will do; when it comes, then you will know that I am the Lord God.'" He will be able to act as a shepherd and a watchman to his people. 3:27; 33:22) and his message changed from doom/judgment to forgiveness/restoration! Otherwise you will be prompted again when opening a new browser window or new a tab. Also seethe its bones in it.".

It bothers me when (1) Job's children die or (2) David's child dies or (3) Jeremiah is told not to marry or (4) YHWH takes Ezekiel's wife. 24:31; 26:13,14, 3. determining who would supply wood for the new sacrificial system, Neh. Each of us must walk in the light we have. Take the meat out piece by piece in whatever order it comes. Yet God's promises are still sure! “His ministry would change. In contrast, the death of Ezekiel’s wife was neither deserved nor announced long ahead – yet he was commanded to not mourn. If YHWH can continue to love, forgive, and use Israel, then there is a great hope for all of Adam's children, based solely on the unchanging, merciful, gracious character of YHWH! This phrase seems to imply that death would come indiscriminately to all the inhabitants of Jerusalem. ▣ "to the rebellious house" This (BDB 598, cf. Click to enable/disable _gid - Google Analytics Cookie. The book by Hannah Whithall Smith, The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life, has really helped me in this area. i. Extra Small Small Medium Large Additional Settings . 10:1-7 in Nadab and Abihu's death). Click to enable/disable _gat_* - Google Analytics Cookie. Please be aware that this might heavily reduce the functionality and appearance of our site. It is an orientation of the heart, not a physical place to worship, or human performance. What is the unifying theme of chapters 20 through 24? 4. mix, BDB 955, KB 1289, Hiphil imperative (Owens) or infinitive absolute (Beall, Banks, Smith) or either (Davidson), 5. set, BDB 763, KB 840, Hiphil imperative, v. 11. 10-11), Judah is not yet clean (cf. Changes will take effect once you reload the page. He has tried again and again to get His people to repent (cf. PARAGRAPH DIVISIONS OF MODERN TRANSLATIONS, FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR'S INTENT AT PARAGRAPH LEVEL. I also will make the pile great. Notice the number of "I's" in the English translation (6). i. I will not hold back; I will not have pity, nor will I relent. All rights reserved. “ ‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: “ ‘Woe to the city of bloodshed!

3. You must not relinquish this to a commentator. He will judge Judah according to her ways and deeds (cf. This life is only the beginning of an eternal relationship! The pot of judgment is boiling and Judah is in it!

How Can an Omnipresent God Be in Hell if that is Eternal Separation from God?

5Take the choicest of the flock, And also pile wood under the pot. As you might expect from the name, this Sunday celebrates the rule of Christ as Lord over all creation, the King of Kings. “ ‘For the blood she shed is in her midst: She poured it on the bare rock; she did not pour it on the ground, where the dust would cover it. 17:13; Deut. Jeremiah 7). 24:4-5 The very best pieces of the very best of the flock were put in the pot. Identify the subjects (reading cycle #3). So I said to them, “The word of the LORD came to me: Say to the people of Israel, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I am about to desecrate my sanctuary—the stronghold in which you take pride, the delight of your eyes, the object of your affection.

18So I spoke to the people in the morning, and in the evening my wife died. These discussion questions are provided to help you think through the major issues of this section of the book. That's what the perfectionist boss said as he took the project he had delegated back. This is a study guide commentary, which means that you are responsible for your own interpretation of the Bible.

NASB, NKJV,NRSV"and mix in the spices"TEV"boil away the broth"LXX"and the liquor boiled away"REB"pour out all the broth"JPSOA"and stew it completely". 39:6; 52:10,24-27, 2. Q. “Ezekiel had not wept, and Israel would not weep either: because in both cases the tragedy was too deep and stunning for any expression of grief to prove adequate.” (Taylor), ii.

i. They are meant to be thought-provoking, not definitive.

He does care for each, but also for all (cf. Lev. He will be free to work constructively towards the building up of a new community, a new Israel.” (Taylor), ii. Now he could preach hope, restoration, and the renewal of covenant promises. v. 27; 12:11). You will not mourn or weep but will waste away because of, Ezekiel will be a sign to you; you will do just as he has done. Keep your turban fastened and your sandals on your feet; do not cover your mustache and beard or eat the customary food of mourners.”.